Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Deep Purple vs Uriah Heep (2)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: which of these two do you enjoy more?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
42 [68.85%]
19 [31.15%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deep Purple vs Uriah Heep (2)
    Posted: December 05 2015 at 03:31
Is Uriah Heep's Look at Yourself a match for Deep Purple's In Rock?
Big smile
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2015 at 03:47
Afficher limage dorigine

Wait for the ricochet
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2015 at 07:25
Both great albums, but I would give a slight lead to "In Rock", but a very, very slim lead.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2015 at 08:41
Both good albums, and Child in Time is probably the best song off both, but overall I'll say Look at Yourself.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2015 at 11:56
Very tough choice but I'd say In Rock is just slightly better. Very similar structures between the two of them though, with a quicker, heavier opening, a slower hard rock tune and then side one ending with a prog epic.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pastmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2015 at 12:00
Love both, but I'm inclined to vote In Rock
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2015 at 12:02
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wanorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2015 at 14:06
Uriah Heep again.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2015 at 14:10
absolutely NO contest man...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2015 at 14:17
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

absolutely NO contest man...

Confused so what was your choice?
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2015 at 14:20
the one so far above the other in talent, songwriting,  and acclaim it didn't need to be specified LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2015 at 14:23
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

the one so far above the other in talent, songwriting,  and acclaim it didn't need to be specified LOL

I suppose you mean In Rock, but I may be wrong LOL
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2015 at 14:25
let's just say no one calls Deep Purple a Uriah Heep knock-off LOL
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2015 at 07:30
I can't believe you're even comparing those two albums... In Rock is a genre-defining hard rock album. Uriah Heep are a very good band, but no one could touch Deep Purple in their heyday.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2015 at 07:52
Uriah Heep...never cared much for DP or Blackmore.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2015 at 08:06
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I can't believe you're even comparing those two albums... In Rock is a genre-defining hard rock album. Uriah Heep are a very good band, but no one could touch Deep Purple in their heyday.

you're taking this way too seriously, why shouldn't I compare two early 70s heavy-rock albums? Some will vote for Heep, some for Purple. I can compare anything as long as they have a common point. Big smile

Edited by Cristi - December 06 2015 at 08:25
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2015 at 08:23
In Rock is an exception, other early Deep Purple albums, although recorded with an obvious intention of being progressive and unusual, aren't even close to the truly magical atmosphere and eccentricities of Byron's Uriah Heep; and after In Rock, Deep Purple had kept the beaten track of the classic heavy rock - there is nothing progressive at Deep Purple's albums that followed In Rock.

Edited by Svetonio - December 06 2015 at 08:26
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2015 at 08:49
The well known comment was in an old Rolling Stone Record Guide (the first one with the red cover) , and the reviewer said that, ' Uriah Heep was a mutant version of Deep Purple'.
RS RG, Marsh with Swenson, 1979, Rolling Stone Press, page 395,
"A mutant version of Deep Purple, Uriah Heep has to be considered one of the worst commercially successful bands of the Seventies. Good points: sincerity and an organist (Ken Hensley) far more intelligent and capable than the group. Bad points: one of the most strident and annoying singers (David Byron) in rock history.
The problem is that Byron gets the material he deserves." -John Swenson

I think overall In Rock is a slightly better album, but I'll say this in that  I would rather listen to old Heep than old Purple for pure fun and listening pleasure even if they are mutants.
Big smile

btw....if anyone has a copy or can get one, some of the reviews are priceless in that old RS record guide....
makes for entertaining reading. For instance there is an interesting review of 'VDGG- H To He'...3 stars.

Edited by dr wu23 - December 06 2015 at 08:56
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
addictedtoprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addictedtoprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2015 at 09:27
Nothing much in classic rock beats In Rock for me..
addictedtoprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addictedtoprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2015 at 09:31
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

no one could touch Deep Purple in their heyday.

Edited by addictedtoprog - December 06 2015 at 09:32
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>