Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRoger Daltrey Vs Robert Plant Vs Ian Gillan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: which singer you do prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
21 [27.27%]
30 [38.96%]
26 [33.77%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2015 at 06:39
PLANT !
Afficher limage dorigine
Frosted Celt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2015 at 06:41
Not allowed to vote in the poll but my still allowed to post my choice and It's is Ian Gillan.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2015 at 06:44
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2015 at 06:45
They're all brilliant but Percy is the man.
addictedtoprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2015 at 08:49
Whenever we talk about greatest vocalists in classic rock,these three names are always going to be mentioned first. All equally brilliant with their own unique style.
I prefer Gillan specially for 'Live In Japan' album.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2015 at 10:10
Originally posted by AZF AZF wrote:

I misread the poll as Roger Daltrey Vs Robert Palmer Vs Ian Gillan!Embarrassed
No problem. Let's just give it to Mr. Palmer then (God rest his soul). He's as good a contender as the rest of 'em.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2015 at 10:17
Plant or Daltrey...never really cared that much for Gillan. I'll vote Plant today.

btw.....there are many great classic rock singers beyond these three....these guys were in huge well known bands which certainly helped their status. We tend not to think about the others who didn't make as much money.
But singers like Steve Marriot, Paul Rodgers, Mike Harrison (from Spooky Tooth ) and many others (Palmer mentioned above..) had some great pipes and imho actually had more interesting vocal qualities (at times)  but weren't thrust into stardom as much.

Edited by dr wu23 - December 08 2015 at 10:18
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2015 at 10:20
Plant was basically the archetypal hard rock vocalist who paved the way for many others to follow.  And what Plant was to hard rock, Gillan was to heavy metal.  Plant was the king of personality and Gillan the king of technique (well, at least until Halford, Dickinson and Dio took turns to displace him by far ;) ). 

Given all of the above, Daltrey would appear to be up against impossible odds in contending with these two.  But I vote Daltrey for his sheer sincerity and character, which I feel the other two, for all their flamboyance, generally lack.  I don't mean character here in the sense of sounding distinctive (again, something where the other two had no problems whatsoever) but in terms of touching a chord, allowing the listener to get a glimpse of the person behind the voice.  When Daltrey sings, "Get on my knees and pray/We don't get fooled again"  he sounds like he means it. And although Gillan was the prototype for metal vocals, Daltrey did grit better. Love Reign O'er Me!!!!!

Edited by rogerthat - December 08 2015 at 10:20
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2015 at 10:24
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Plant or Daltrey...never really cared that much for Gillan. I'll vote Plant today.

btw.....there are many great classic rock singers beyond these three....these guys were in huge well known bands which certainly helped their status. We tend not to think about the others who didn't make as much money.
But singers like Steve Marriot, Paul Rodgers, Mike Harrison (from Spooky Tooth ) and many others (Palmer mentioned above..) had some great pipes and imho actually had more interesting vocal qualities (at times)  but weren't thrust into stardom as much.

More to the point, they lacked songwriting to back their vocal talent.  It is pretty much an axiom of rock music discussion that when somebody says XYZ singer is the best, they really mean they like the songwriting of XYZ's band the most.  At least Plant, Daltrey, Gillan were powerhouse singers in their own right.  Ozzy's appeal draws entirely from Sabbath's music being tailored to suit his peculiar sound.  There are just so many rock/metal singers who are better than him.  
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2015 at 10:35
Plant is my choice from these three although none are at the top of my list.
I agree with the point dr wu23 made.
In fact, I'm going to play Spooky Two now because it's been too long since I've heard it.

BTW...Phil Lynott from Thin Lizzy is a long time favorite.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2015 at 10:48
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

More to the point, they lacked songwriting to back their vocal talent. 

I don't know Harrison but I'd have to disagree with that for Rodgers and Marriott.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2015 at 10:48
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

More to the point, they lacked songwriting to back their vocal talent.  It is pretty much an axiom of rock music discussion that when somebody says XYZ singer is the best, they really mean they like the songwriting of XYZ's band the most.  At least Plant, Daltrey, Gillan were powerhouse singers in their own right.  Ozzy's appeal draws entirely from Sabbath's music being tailored to suit his peculiar sound.  There are just so many rock/metal singers who are better than him.  

The ones I mentioned all wrote many/most of the songs their bands did....I don't think Daltrey or Gillan wrote much of anything (though the whole band is credited for instance on Machine Head)...but I could be wrong.
Plant did write but I wonder how much of  the music/chords  were from Page or was it a true collaboration...?
But as you said they all had great voices anyway....and I have always thought Ozzie had a weird voice and not that good overall and as you pointed out many rock/metal singers are far better.

I cked my Spooky Tooth albums and the infamous Gary Wright (of Dream Weaver fame...) wrote most of their cuts though Harrison is given credit on some.
Smile

Edited by dr wu23 - December 08 2015 at 11:00
Haquin
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2015 at 11:31
Roger Daltrey...Too many brilliant performances, Quadrophenia is a masterpiece and Tommy is outstanding. Love, Reign o'er Me, Doctor Jimmy, Who Are You, Baba.....I can go on.

He's the Man
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2015 at 11:34
^ I could have easily picked Daltrey,  but as rogerthat said it often comes down to which band one likes better.
Haquin
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2015 at 12:58
I have always preferred Gillan over the other two, and Daltry over Plant.  Special mention today goes out to the late David Byron, since I have been listening to the Heep recently. 
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2015 at 18:20

The ones I mentioned all wrote many/most of the songs their bands did....I don't think Daltrey or Gillan wrote much of anything (though the whole band is credited for instance on Machine Head)...but I could be wrong.
Plant did write but I wonder how much of  the music/chords  were from Page or was it a true collaboration...?
But as you said they all had great voices anyway....and I have always thought Ozzie had a weird voice and not that good overall and as you pointed out many rock/metal singers are far better.

I cked my Spooky Tooth albums and the infamous Gary Wright (of Dream Weaver fame...) wrote most of their cuts though Harrison is given credit on some.
Smile

I didn't mean their specific songwriting skills but just the quality of songs they got to sing (whether written by them or bandmates) vis a vis LZ/DP/Who.  Individual tastes may differ but on a broad level those three bands are incomparable with Spooky Tooth or Bad Company and had some of the greatest songwriters (or composers, whichever term one may prefer) in classic rock.  And it's usually the guys singing the greatest songs who also get rated the greatest.  I have rarely seen Joe Lynn Turner's name crop up and he was an excellent singer.
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2015 at 19:06
Robert Plant, but all the singers are great.
Progrockdude
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2015 at 20:25
Originally posted by addictedtoprog addictedtoprog wrote:

Whenever we talk about greatest vocalists in classic rock,these three names are always going to be mentioned first. All equally brilliant with their own unique style.
I prefer Gillan specially for 'Live In Japan' album.

Freddie Mercury may have a say on that Wink.    
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2015 at 20:26
Ian Gillan. Absolutely amazing.
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2015 at 20:32
Originally posted by TheLionOfPrague TheLionOfPrague wrote:

Ian Gillan. Absolutely amazing.

Aye.  His work on "Jesus Christ, Superstar" was spine-tingling, and he had the best pipes of them all. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>