Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRock and Roll Hall of Fame's assesment of Yes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's assesment of Yes
    Posted: December 11 2015 at 21:51
Pulled this from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (let's all groan now and get it out of the way) website. Yes came in second, after Chicago, in the fan voting section.  What do you think of their summary? 

Yes is the most enduring, ambitious and virtuosic progressive band in rock history. By fusing the cinematic soundscapes of King Crimson with the hard rock edge of The Who and the soaring harmonies and melodies of Simon and Garfunkel, they took progressive rock from a small audience of aficionados to radio airwaves and football stadiums all over America. Hits like “Roundabout” and “I’ve Seen All Good People” appealed to rock fans who did not even think they liked prog rock, while album-side length epics like “Close To The Edge” and “The Gates Of Delirium” represent the genre at its absolute finest. Steve Howe remains one of the most underrated guitarists in rock history, while keyboardist Rick Wakeman, bassist Chris Squire and drummers Bill Bruford and Alan White will always be regarded as musicians simply without peer. Frontman Jon Anderson is an alto tenor singer who still hits the highest of high notes 45 years after forming the group. While many of their contemporaries wilted once punk hit, Yes managed to change with the times, and they reemerged in the 80s as an MTV-ready commercial force, landing massive hits on the charts like “Owner Of A Lonely Heart.” While prog giants like Pink Floyd, Genesis and Emerson Lake & Palmer retired years ago, Yes continues to tour (albeit with some new members) at a pace that would leave bands half their age breathless.  - See more at: https://rockhall.com/inductees/nominees/2016-yes/#sthash.MiTY2L2w.dpuf

Discuss freely.
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2015 at 22:04
I hope they induct them, even if it's meaningless I don't like seeing some talentless hacks in it and one of the greatest bands ever being ignored. It already annoys me Chris won't be able to be there in case they're inducted. 
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2015 at 23:04
They really deserve it, and they have deserved it for a long time. However, it really won't mean much if they are inducted, as there are tons of bands that don't deserve to be there. There are even some bands and artists in there that have nothing to do with rock music.
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2015 at 23:13
Actually, I wasn't asking about whether Yes should be inducted (so obvious it isn't worth discussing) but how they are presented here.  Is "Yes is the most enduring, ambitious and virtuosic progressive band in rock history" or do you have a different opinion?

I'm totally on board with "Steve Howe remains one of the most underrated guitarists in rock history," except maybe on this website.   Otherwise it's spot on.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2015 at 23:29
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

Actually, I wasn't asking about whether Yes should be inducted (so obvious it isn't worth discussing) but how they are presented here.  Is "Yes is the most enduring, ambitious and virtuosic progressive band in rock history" or do you have a different opinion?

I'm totally on board with "Steve Howe remains one of the most underrated guitarists in rock history," except maybe on this website.   Otherwise it's spot on.

They are spot on about Yes.

Not so sure about Steve Howe, he was 5 x world champion (as per Ian Gillan describing Steve Morse's winning the Guitar Player polls for all time - a default status after 5 years so someone else can win). Howe is highly rated, accurately rated and deservedly so. Still, it's one way of the R and R HoF to prompt a more general interest in Yes.

Slightly OT why did the HoF when inducting Van Halen think it a good idea to ignore the David Roth era (the bit that got them the fame in the first place. Just visited there recently and thought that was a bit strange.)

Enjoyed the Genesis bit though; a fine feature.

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2015 at 23:57
It is asinine that the RRHoF hasn't inducted Yes yet. Or Chicago. Or Jethro Tull. Or Deep Purple. Or the Moody Blues. These bands are owed an apology for the electors being tw*ts and nitwits.

The RRHoF can go f*ck themselves. Or itself, as the case may be.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
zachfive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2015 at 02:14
I thnk Mr.Lifeson summed things up pretty well.

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2015 at 04:39
Fair to say only he remembered his rock and roll rebellion roots that night.  Terrific sense of humour, didn't expect that from him.  
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2015 at 04:59
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Fair to say only he remembered his rock and roll rebellion roots that night.  Terrific sense of humour, didn't expect that from him.  

He's always had that, didn't you ever notice that in every Rush gig there is a moment where Alex and Geddy start joking around? In an interview, I think on the Rush in Rio DVD he said about Geddy: "He sings, plays pedals with his feet, bass with one hand and keys with the other. That leaves one limb unaccounted for and I don't want to know what he does with that".

As for the topic of this thread, I stopped reading after this "they took progressive rock from a small audience of aficionados to radio airwaves and football stadiums all over America." Dead
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2015 at 05:08
I guess I am not tuned into what their live act actually feels like, since I have never seen them.  And based on Exit Stage, didn't feel too enthused about checking out more of their live work because it sounded like a very close reproduction of their studio songs without much variation.  But that quote you mention now from Rush in Rio also sounds funny.  
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2015 at 05:22
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

The RRHoF can go f*ck themselves.
This.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2015 at 07:04
I don't know if I'm 100% with this statement:

"Alan White will always be regarded as musician(s) simply without peer"
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2015 at 07:18
Chicago isn't in... wow!!!!

anyhow..  I suppose Yes will be the first prog band added... they'll be the one that will break the ice. Perhaps Crimson as few outside of prog know them.. as a bit of backdoor icebreaker... then ELP after those two for sure.  The ELP hate still does run deep..LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2015 at 07:22
Genesis were added before Rush.  And seeing as Watcher of the Skies was performed at their induction, it's not clear that the Gabriel years had nothing to do with it.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2015 at 07:31
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Genesis were added before Rush.  And seeing as Watcher of the Skies was performed at their induction, it's not clear that the Gabriel years had nothing to do with it.

Are you serious? Had they disbanded when Gabriel left, or even when Hackett left, the only way the band would be in the RRHoF is to take a bus to Cleveland and buy tickets at the door. They would be just another Brit prog eccentricity like ELP, Tull, Crimson and Yes -- uncool to the NY critic scene.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2015 at 07:32
I am not denying that, just saying that Genesis' prog roots were in fact acknowledged at the induction.  They could have very well played Mama at the induction, though Phish may not have agreed to perform that song.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2015 at 07:35
exactly man. Genesis was added for their only lasting value.. for they were a damn great one...as a pop band.

Same with Rush.. and a arena rock band. If they had remained prog.. they would have never got near the HoF.

we are talking prog bands... bands know as prog bands. Seen as prog bands. Not bands that dipped a toe in early and left for fame in what they did best.. either playing pop songs or filling arenas with AOR albums.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2015 at 07:36
You could make the same argument about Yes, though.  Their 'finest' hour in the eyes of RRHOF was Owner of a lonely fart as Hugues called it in his review.  In that case, we need to wait for King Crimson to get added since even Discipline lacks the requisite pop sell out cred.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2015 at 07:45
so the song became a pop hit...  nevermind that the album it came from was chock full of great prog songs and was received warmly by old fans.. as well as bringing new legions of fans to yes.. who naturally moved backwards to catch up with the group. The subtle context being.. it wasn't that different.. was not a WFT musical statement from them.  The secret weapon of Yes always had been... they wrote great songs. They were the first prog pop band. Thumbs Up They just 20 minutes to express what others only had talent enough to make interesting for 3 minutes.

The point is.. Yes never became anything other than a prog band.. really in truth but more importantly in overall perception.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2015 at 07:49
Respectfully I disagree.  Without selling out they may not have made it through the 80s.  You call making 6 prog albums before going pop " dipped a toe in early and left for fame in what they did best." but soft peddle 90125 - that's just the Yes fan in you talking, micky.  The only two big bands that came out unscathed from the 80s without compromising were KC and VDGG.  It's arguable just how big VDGG were but that also shows the limited commercial appeal of 'pure prog' as of today.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>