Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Definition of Progressive Rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Definition of Progressive Rock
    Posted: December 14 2015 at 20:31
To me, "prog" and progressive rock are synonymous.

I believe myself that progressive rock means rock with a larger focus on instrumentation and sophisticated structure, fusing rock with classical techniques of great composers. But in another mindset I can easily define it as a genre that progresses the general music environment in general as well. Also, having musical styles unique to their time. In the same vein, I believe that 'prog' is nothing but a shorthand and not an extension from the original genre; not a mindset, a lifestyle, or anything. Simple abbreviation. Alas, that is how I like to group things that I consider "progressive". 

I know others have different ways of defining it, so expound on your ideas. In the context of this site, your life, or just in general. 
http://fryingpanmedia.com
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2015 at 20:37
It's music with lots of progginess. 
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Frosted Celt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2015 at 23:39
Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

I believe myself that progressive rock means rock with a larger focus on instrumentation and sophisticated structure, fusing rock with classical techniques of great composers. But in another mindset I can easily define it as a genre that progresses the general music environment in general as well. Also, having musical styles unique to their time. In the same vein, I believe that 'prog' is nothing but a shorthand and not an extension from the original genre; not a mindset, a lifestyle, or anything. Simple abbreviation. <span style="line-height: 1.4;">Alas, that is how I like to group things that I consider "progressive". </span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">I know others have different ways of defining it, so expound on your ideas. In the context of this site, your life, or just in general. </span>

You hit the nail on the head for me but I would also add that Progressive Rock tends to encorperate a lot of strange Jazz time signatures as well as displaying the musical characteristics mentioned above.
Komandant Shamal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2015 at 02:11
progressive rock is the name for a state of rock music that occurs when an act is going out of the rules that apply strictly to the commercial rock mainstream.
it was captured on vinyl for the first time in the history of rock music at The Mothers of Invention's double lp "Freak Out!".

Edited by Komandant Shamal - December 15 2015 at 18:10
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2015 at 05:01
Trying to define genres is basicly nonsence, for a lot of good reasons.
It more like you know when you listen to it, and that is what matter isnt it ?
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2015 at 10:47
Beware the Jabberwock...
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2015 at 10:56
When you try to over-analyze and deconstruct what prog and progressive music is, that is when you make these silly outlines that exclude so much music that belongs there.

I'd say that any music that challenges itself and takes steps being quality, atypical music is progressive. 

Edited by Horizons - December 15 2015 at 10:57
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2015 at 11:57
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

It's music with lots of progginess. 

Nahhhh ... it's progginess with lots of music!!!!! Get it right!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2015 at 13:37
Originally posted by Frosted Celt Frosted Celt wrote:

Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

I believe myself that progressive rock means rock with a larger focus on instrumentation and sophisticated structure, fusing rock with classical techniques of great composers. But in another mindset I can easily define it as a genre that progresses the general music environment in general as well. Also, having musical styles unique to their time. In the same vein, I believe that 'prog' is nothing but a shorthand and not an extension from the original genre; not a mindset, a lifestyle, or anything. Simple abbreviation. <span style="line-height: 1.4;">Alas, that is how I like to group things that I consider "progressive". </span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">I know others have different ways of defining it, so expound on your ideas. In the context of this site, your life, or just in general. </span>

You hit the nail on the head for me but I would also add that Progressive Rock tends to encorperate a lot of strange Jazz time signatures as well as displaying the musical characteristics mentioned above.
Nah, odd time signatures were in classical before jazz, Eastern European music before classical, and Middle Eastern music before Eastern European. 

The real takeaway from jazz prog has made is the call-and-response style of improvisation. Feeding off of each other's rhythmic and melodic ideas. Often creates post-bop like textures (for example: the beginning of Close to the Edge).

As for what defines prog: The definition that seems to be the unconscious one that dictates ordinary usage of the word is music that follows in the tradition of the original movement in the 70s. I'm inclined to say that's a good definition. It's a misnomer, because, even in the 70s, not every prog band was doing anything to progress music around them.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2015 at 14:22
Prog is witches, dragon kings and cow bell.
Progressive Rock is witches, dragon kings, Suzy Cream Cheese and cow bell.

Or is it the other way around?
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2015 at 01:39
Ying Yang
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Skalla-Grim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2015 at 04:52
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Quote You hit the nail on the head for me but I would also add that Progressive Rock tends to encorperate a lot of strange Jazz time signatures as well as displaying the musical characteristics mentioned above.
Nah, odd time signatures were in classical before jazz, Eastern European music before classical, and Middle Eastern music before Eastern European.

OK but it's still possible that some prog musicians who used odd metres were influenced by jazz musicians Dave Brubeck or Don Ellis. On the other hand, Keith Emerson probably got them from Bartók.

Edited by Skalla-Grim - December 16 2015 at 04:53
"4/4 - That's 5/4 minus one." - Don Ellis (1934-1978)
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2015 at 08:33
The Definition of Progressive Rock....

Sometimes it's good music and sometimes it's crapp music
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2015 at 11:21
To me, Prog Rock is music that emulates the style of the 60s/70s progressive bands (that were progressive in and for their time). Progressive rock is music that takes that in a modern direction, that "progresses" rather than trying to imitate the past. Both are perfectly fine and enjoyable, but there is a separation between the two.

Edited by RoeDent - December 16 2015 at 11:21
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2015 at 11:22
Mix some Mariah Carey, Sha Na Na and Michael Bolton well and then go in the complete opposite direction = Prog.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2015 at 12:01
I thought there was a ban on any new threads defining progressive rock.....?

Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2015 at 13:29
I feel that a certain "progressive spirit" is vital to prog. The "progressive spirit" was born from the progressive cultural values (peace, freedom, respect of people and nature) of the late 60s counterculture, and inspired rock musicians to create vast works of musical beauty expressing these values. I hear this spirit in classic-era prog, in neo-prog, in prog metal of the "Dream Theater school", but not in some bands and subgenres which emerged within the extreme metal genre since the mid-90s, such as Tool, djent, and tech metal. These may technically descend from prog, and those musicians tend to name bands such as King Crimson, Rush or even Yes as sources of inspiration - but that's nothing that can be discerned from their music. The "progressive spirit" is gone.

... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2015 at 15:33
Originally posted by Skalla-Grim Skalla-Grim wrote:

Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Quote You hit the nail on the head for me but I would also add that Progressive Rock tends to encorperate a lot of strange Jazz time signatures as well as displaying the musical characteristics mentioned above.

OK but it's still possible that some prog musicians who used odd metres were influenced by jazz musicians Dave Brubeck or Don Ellis. On the other hand, Keith Emerson probably got them from Bartók.
Maybe. It's also possible they got them from ragas and gamelan music. Stravinsky even more likely (as likely or more than Bartok). Odd meters have also been used in the music of Chopin and Tchaikovsky. Plus, there's the influence of meterless hymns, which can often be interpreted as being in odd meters or switching meters, which was probably the cause of the odd meters in The Beatles' work as well as ragas. Most likely, prog musicians knew of all of these and didn't connect odd meters to anyone in particular. Point is: it's not necessarily unique enough to jazz to call it jazz influence.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2015 at 16:04
Well the easy answer is the usual answer in these threads...that there are two streams...the first that attempts to be like the 70s greats (the style) and the second the kind that tries to actually progress rock (the spirit). I do think sometimes the label gets more analyzed than what the label is describing. But that's a different issue.

But, at the core, progressive rock (and prog) have the music at the fore, have strong musicality, and go beyond the borders of normal/straight forward rock. This could included many things, such as rhythmic variations, harmonic structures, differing/unusual form, etc...but it's the focus on the music and musical depth that is really the foundation of prog/progressive rock.

Oh, and of course, it has to be rock based. But that one seemed obvious.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2015 at 16:32
Definition of prog? Long damn songs. Weird time signatures. Lyrics about dragons, fairies and kelpies. Not a love song in the batch due to the fan base being unwed males still living in their parents' basements.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>