Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Renaissance Zone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 38>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Renaissance Zone
    Posted: October 13 2021 at 18:33
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

It's not nearly my fave Ren album but I get why others rate it a masterpiece and their best.  For me, "Ashes", "Turn" and "A Song for all Seasons" are all better.  I do love "Trip to the Fair" and "Vultures Fly High" (a rare and successful rocker).  I like "Ocean Gypsy" but I thought that "Day of the Dreamer" better captured the sweet section.  For the suite, love it in parts, find it tedious in others.  For that matter, I find a lot of suites like that

Likewise, though I do love Ocean Gypsy too.  But the suite itself...I like it in parts.  And yeah, that's true of most suites.  I think Close To The Edge, Supper's Ready and Echoes are the only suites I like all the way through.  Both Tarkus and Karn Evil 9 have sections I could do without and I am not going to touch the elephant in the room - TAAB. 
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2021 at 14:34
It's not nearly my fave Ren album but I get why others rate it a masterpiece and their best.  For me, "Ashes", "Turn" and "A Song for all Seasons" are all better.  I do love "Trip to the Fair" and "Vultures Fly High" (a rare and successful rocker).  I like "Ocean Gypsy" but I thought that "Day of the Dreamer" better captured the sweet section.  For the suite, love it in parts, find it tedious in others.  For that matter, I find a lot of suites like that
ProfPanglos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProfPanglos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2021 at 14:30
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

My review on Scheherazade and other Stories

This opera is a great surprise. To my ears is an absolute masterpiece of contemporary music.

But let's go in order.

Side A.

1) Trip to the Fair. Beginning marked by a piano (John Tout) playing anxious notes in a classical style and in fact the lyrics of the song are gothic. Anyway, what a beauty! The progression of the piano is fantastic and is reminiscent of cultured music (Chopin?). The choirs at first solemn then become infernal, and in the meantime the progression on the piano is repeated several times, always the same, but accompanied by a rhythmic crescendo of the arrangements, the music becomes a march and then finally at 3 minutes and 45 seconds, after a few notes of xylophone, we can hear Haslam's vocals, beautifully punctuated with his distinctly English accent. So far, we have always stayed on the initial melody, which is repeated three times until finally there is a harmonic progression, towards what could be a refrain, were it not that it is not repeated. A jazz piece follows with xylophone and piano which leads to a climax with a solemn choir. The initial melody is back, sung again by Haslam but deformed by a circus arrangement that takes over in the instrumental ending. Masterpiece. Rated 8.5 / 9

2) The Vultures Fly High. Three-minute rhythmic song where the rhythm section and the strings are the protagonists. Haslam manages to produce a more dynamic interpretation than his standards. The song's only flaw is its brevity. Rated 7.5.

3) Ocean Gypsy. Wonderful start with acoustic guitar arpeggio, keyboard and Haslam's angelic voice to outline a very catchy melancholy melody which then goes into a major key, with a wonderful progression. We are at some truly remarkable melodic peaks. After the epic instrumental interlude, with a grandiose orchestral crescendo (Tony Cox) with solemn choirs, comes the third verse, to perfectly complete this masterpiece. Haslam's voice, arcane and beautifully British (ie folk) gives the whole piece a very refined accent. Many prog groups produce virtuosity or whimsical refined compositions but they are not able throughout their career to churn out a simple melodic song as beautiful as this one. Rated 9.

Side B

4. Song of Scheherazade (24:52) : - a) Fanfare (2:37) - b) The Betrayal (4:55) - c) The Sultan (2:46) - d) Love Theme (2:29) - e) The Young Prince and Princess as Told by Scheherazade (4:04) - f) Festival Preparations (1:07) - g) Fugue for the Sultan (2:12) - h) The Festival (2:12) - i) Finale (2:30)

a, b, c. The suite, which traces a famous Persian parable, after a fiatistic Intro comes alive with a galloping instrumental piece where the strings and the drums of Terence Sullivan emerge. In the third section, more relaxed and exotic, the choirs arrive and then the singing of Jon Camp, soloist or accompanied by Annie Haslam. Overall, the first movement is divided into three short, rather rhythmic sections where you can hear the grandeur of the orchestra. The music is always beautiful but does not reach the peaks of the first side. Rated 8.

d, e, f. The second movement opens with a classic piano piece by John Tout, perhaps the musician who most characterizes the sound of this album, to which the orchestra is added, mainly the strings. In the second section we finally hear the folk voice of Annie Haslam singing the love between the prince and the princess. This relaxed atmosphere lit by her singing is reminiscent of Ocean Gypsy and in fact the quality of the music has risen. The winning key of this group is: romantic melody + voice of Haslam + piano of Tout + arrangement (strings and rhythm section, with the bass of Camp making virtuosity). The sung piece could continue but is sacrificed in favor of the composition, which provides an evocative instrumental interlude with an oriental flavor worthy of a Tchaikovsky ballet, then the music changes completely and, guided by Tout's piano, it seems to become a jazz opera in Gershwin's style, with an excellent crescendo. The work of integration between folk instruments and the London Symphony Orchestra is remarkable. In the end the evocative atmosphere returns, guided by a wind instrument that I cannot identify. This instrumental section is perhaps the highlight of the suite. The second movement is great. Rated 9.

g, h, i. The third movement begins with another instrumental section worthy of cultured music, this time it reminds me of Dvorak's symphony From the New World. Then Annie Haslam's voice returns to elaborate the final part of the narration, which then increases in the last section. It seems incredible but the defect of this suite seems to me mainly the fact that the music does not have enough time to expand (as in the two long tracks of side A) leaving Annie Haslam's singing little space to give the best of her. In this suite there is a narrative need to produce many sections with different moods: the compositional work is refined but moving from one section to another in relatively short time removes some pathos. Rated 8,5.

Song of Sheherazade: Rated 8.5 / 9

We are facing a masterpiece, a flawless album that stands as the definitive symphonic pop-folk work. On the first side, the Renaissance churn out two mini-suites based on enchanting melodies. In the second, a suite of almost 25 minutes where they demonstrate a high-class compositional and arranging ability.

Haslame's voice and Tout's piano together with the strings create a unique sound, the rhythm section keeps pace and Camp performs virtuosity on the bass. Dunford stands on the sidelines but is the real genius being the author of much of the composition.

Absolute masterpiece. 9,5/10. Five Stars.

Nice write-up!  I agree, an absolute masterpiece.  Scheherazade and Other Stories resides firmly in my "top 10 albums of all time" list.  A perfect album, IMO.
DIGNITAS - FIRMITAS - GRAVITAS - COMITAS - LIBERTAS
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2021 at 08:38
My review on Scheherazade and other Stories

This opera is a great surprise. To my ears is an absolute masterpiece of contemporary music.

But let's go in order.

Side A.

1) Trip to the Fair. Beginning marked by a piano (John Tout) playing anxious notes in a classical style and in fact the lyrics of the song are gothic. Anyway, what a beauty! The progression of the piano is fantastic and is reminiscent of cultured music (Chopin?). The choirs at first solemn then become infernal, and in the meantime the progression on the piano is repeated several times, always the same, but accompanied by a rhythmic crescendo of the arrangements, the music becomes a march and then finally at 3 minutes and 45 seconds, after a few notes of xylophone, we can hear Haslam's vocals, beautifully punctuated with his distinctly English accent. So far, we have always stayed on the initial melody, which is repeated three times until finally there is a harmonic progression, towards what could be a refrain, were it not that it is not repeated. A jazz piece follows with xylophone and piano which leads to a climax with a solemn choir. The initial melody is back, sung again by Haslam but deformed by a circus arrangement that takes over in the instrumental ending. Masterpiece. Rated 8.5 / 9

2) The Vultures Fly High. Three-minute rhythmic song where the rhythm section and the strings are the protagonists. Haslam manages to produce a more dynamic interpretation than his standards. The song's only flaw is its brevity. Rated 7.5.

3) Ocean Gypsy. Wonderful start with acoustic guitar arpeggio, keyboard and Haslam's angelic voice to outline a very catchy melancholy melody which then goes into a major key, with a wonderful progression. We are at some truly remarkable melodic peaks. After the epic instrumental interlude, with a grandiose orchestral crescendo (Tony Cox) with solemn choirs, comes the third verse, to perfectly complete this masterpiece. Haslam's voice, arcane and beautifully British (ie folk) gives the whole piece a very refined accent. Many prog groups produce virtuosity or whimsical refined compositions but they are not able throughout their career to churn out a simple melodic song as beautiful as this one. Rated 9.

Side B

4. Song of Scheherazade (24:52) : - a) Fanfare (2:37) - b) The Betrayal (4:55) - c) The Sultan (2:46) - d) Love Theme (2:29) - e) The Young Prince and Princess as Told by Scheherazade (4:04) - f) Festival Preparations (1:07) - g) Fugue for the Sultan (2:12) - h) The Festival (2:12) - i) Finale (2:30)

a, b, c. The suite, which traces a famous Persian parable, after a fiatistic Intro comes alive with a galloping instrumental piece where the strings and the drums of Terence Sullivan emerge. In the third section, more relaxed and exotic, the choirs arrive and then the singing of Jon Camp, soloist or accompanied by Annie Haslam. Overall, the first movement is divided into three short, rather rhythmic sections where you can hear the grandeur of the orchestra. The music is always beautiful but does not reach the peaks of the first side. Rated 8.

d, e, f. The second movement opens with a classic piano piece by John Tout, perhaps the musician who most characterizes the sound of this album, to which the orchestra is added, mainly the strings. In the second section we finally hear the folk voice of Annie Haslam singing the love between the prince and the princess. This relaxed atmosphere lit by her singing is reminiscent of Ocean Gypsy and in fact the quality of the music has risen. The winning key of this group is: romantic melody + voice of Haslam + piano of Tout + arrangement (strings and rhythm section, with the bass of Camp making virtuosity). The sung piece could continue but is sacrificed in favor of the composition, which provides an evocative instrumental interlude with an oriental flavor worthy of a Tchaikovsky ballet, then the music changes completely and, guided by Tout's piano, it seems to become a jazz opera in Gershwin's style, with an excellent crescendo. The work of integration between folk instruments and the London Symphony Orchestra is remarkable. In the end the evocative atmosphere returns, guided by a wind instrument that I cannot identify. This instrumental section is perhaps the highlight of the suite. The second movement is great. Rated 9.

g, h, i. The third movement begins with another instrumental section worthy of cultured music, this time it reminds me of Dvorak's symphony From the New World. Then Annie Haslam's voice returns to elaborate the final part of the narration, which then increases in the last section. It seems incredible but the defect of this suite seems to me mainly the fact that the music does not have enough time to expand (as in the two long tracks of side A) leaving Annie Haslam's singing little space to give the best of her. In this suite there is a narrative need to produce many sections with different moods: the compositional work is refined but moving from one section to another in relatively short time removes some pathos. Rated 8,5.

Song of Sheherazade: Rated 8.5 / 9

We are facing a masterpiece, a flawless album that stands as the definitive symphonic pop-folk work. On the first side, the Renaissance churn out two mini-suites based on enchanting melodies. In the second, a suite of almost 25 minutes where they demonstrate a high-class compositional and arranging ability.

Haslame's voice and Tout's piano together with the strings create a unique sound, the rhythm section keeps pace and Camp performs virtuosity on the bass. Dunford stands on the sidelines but is the real genius being the author of much of the composition.

Absolute masterpiece. 9,5/10. Five Stars.

"Happiness is real only when shared"
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2021 at 10:00
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

^lol
I've got the high def DVD now but haven't watched it yet.  Has anyone?

If you mean the blu ray, I don't have a blu ray player so unable to watch.  The DVD itself was fantastic.
I'm stilling living in the world of low def, so no. But I did listen to Prologue and Ashes Are Burning for the first time in a decade. Still sound's good but I'm good for another decade now, if not longer.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2021 at 23:47

^lol

If you mean the blu ray, I don't have a blu ray player so unable to watch.  The DVD itself was fantastic.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2021 at 10:10
^lol
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2021 at 09:45
Luckily, there's not much electric guitar in Ren's music as the author couldn't tell a fuzztone from a fur coat.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2021 at 22:19
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I purchased this book on Amazon simply because it's the first time I've seen a book dedicated to the band and their recorded output. There's not much here that we as Ren fanatics probably don't already know. But's it's a fun read as the author dissects all of the band's recorded material. What's interesting to see is how much more rhymically complex the mach 1 band's music is compared to the mach 2's output. All of Annie's glass breaking notes are stated, particularly present in their earlier album's songs that really starts to go away by the time ASFAS and Azure D'or were created. And the author has a multi page 5 part reason for why the band went with shorter songs on Azure D'or. I haven't read it yet, but I'm sure it's a pip. The author is a classical music nut and states every "borrowed" note the band used from the classical composers. He enjoys the band's music but thinks it's ludacrous that these ancient composers were never credited. As I said, it's a fun read.

One disappointment for me is that there wasn't more analysis of the more complex compositions like Can You Hear Me, Day of the Dreamer or Song for All Seasons.  Like when he mentions tempo changes in Day of The Dreamer, would have loved to know what all time sigs they go through. The transition to the sans-percussion section is quite interesting.  I guess we will have to get on Doug's case to see if he will do a Renaissance react.
Matti View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2021 at 05:32
^ Oh, that sure would be interesting to read. I recently borrowed the similar book on Van der Graaf Generator, which I haven't read yet.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2021 at 05:17
I purchased this book on Amazon simply because it's the first time I've seen a book dedicated to the band and their recorded output. There's not much here that we as Ren fanatics probably don't already know. But's it's a fun read as the author dissects all of the band's recorded material. What's interesting to see is how much more rhymically complex the mach 1 band's music is compared to the mach 2's output. All of Annie's glass breaking notes are stated, particularly present in their earlier album's songs that really starts to go away by the time ASFAS and Azure D'or were created. And the author has a multi page 5 part reason for why the band went with shorter songs on Azure D'or. I haven't read it yet, but I'm sure it's a pip. The author is a classical music nut and states every "borrowed" note the band used from the classical composers. He enjoys the band's music but thinks it's ludacrous that these ancient composers were never credited. As I said, it's a fun read.

Edited by SteveG - June 12 2021 at 06:36
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2021 at 10:17

Renaissance are such good players that they're actually boring to watch. A lot like Pentangle, in that regard.

Edited by SteveG - May 26 2021 at 15:04
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2021 at 06:59
Not necessarily the best performance of the song (though it's very good for what it is and not flawed in any way as such), but this is exceedingly rare.  Apparently, Renaissance performed three songs - Prologue, Can You Understand and Ashes Are Burning - for a TV program in Luxembourg in 1974. 

This program has never been listed even on the Northern Lights website nor mentioned by the band or any long time fans.   

Somebody uploaded the video of the program with audio removed asking for a king's ransom to get the bootleg (with audio).  Within a week, the video and the userid disappeared from Youtube. 

But somebody else does seem to have got hold of the original audio of the Ashes Are Burning performance (unless it exactly matches another 1974 recording but I am not aware of and it says original audio in the description).

So here it is.

I notice that while Annie's arms are joined together (as was her wont throughout the 70s), she's dropped them loose here and they don't get up to the diaphragm during either the big Ashes are burning the way note or the high vocalise.  I wonder what was up with the evolution of the arms and their role in her singing.  If you see Capitol '76/Midnight Special/Sight & Sound '77 (or just any of the photos from the mid-late 70s), the arms come up much higher and also rise further up/tighten for high notes.  And then, in the 80s she stopped keeping them joined together for good. 

Edited by rogerthat - May 26 2021 at 07:05
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2021 at 09:36
Yep, this just reinforces my opinion that they should have done Ukraine Ways and Flood At Lyon with the mini orchestra. A missed opportunity.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2021 at 08:38
Annie has good words for both Okichi San and Ukraine Ways in this interview

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2021 at 11:52
me too!  but I'm in a lot of transitions now so the DVD is 40 miles from where I actually am and Ill get it soon enough.  Now really looking forward to it.  Good work Esa and company!
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2021 at 09:44
Originally posted by esa esa wrote:

Got my copy of the CD/DVD/Bluray set.

This release is currently not in retail distribution in North and South America where it is only sold directly by the band 

Right, I got it because I contributed to the Indiegogo campaign.  My name's Madan, you may have seen my occasional comments on the Ren FB page.
esa View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2021 at 09:14

Got my copy of the CD/DVD/Bluray set.

This release is currently not in retail distribution in North and South America where it is only sold directly by the band 
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2021 at 22:25
Got my copy of the CD/DVD/Bluray set.  The package is beautiful and the DVD looks great and sounds amazing. The best of the DVDs yet (sadly might be the last, by the looks of it).  Bluray doesn't work on my CD drive so will have to look for an external Bluray drive.  That is, if I can find one.  Funny how quickly the CD format has become like vintage/classic cars.  And yet, it sounds better, by far, than compressed digital formats (where modern cars do actually perform better than the oldies).  Funny are the ways of the music world where we are asked to accept an inferior product as 'contemporary' and told that the best format for listening to music is outdated.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2021 at 16:33
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

If you look the context of the times, new wave was more about catchy songs than songs with strong hooks. (I'll Stop The World and) And Melt With You is more of what they were aimimg for with some songs on Camera Camera.

interesting Steve.  I have thought of hooks and catchy as the same thing but I guess a hook is by definition catchy but catchy does not mean hook necessarily... well, "Ukraine Ways" came up on my shuffle today and I think it's quite catchy, but doesn't really have a hook
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 38>