Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Renaissance Zone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 38>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2016 at 18:16
SFAS - Novella - Scheherazade/Ashes - Cards/Prologue for me.  Cards was at one point my favourite.  Boy, has it slid down the pecking order.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2016 at 20:14
interesting.  Side 2 of cards is utter perfection to me.  I love that Gothic feel in Black Flame and Cold is Being, and then Mother Russia, which is perhaps their greatest studio moment.   Guess what their greatest live moment is?  It has to do with the "windy city"  Clap
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2016 at 21:13
Ha ha, yup, Ashes are burning at Park West. Wonder if the Park West is still alive. I guess the Capitol, NJ is no more?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2016 at 08:40
The Capitol was demolished in 1991, but the Park West is still a going concern

Edited by kenethlevine - January 13 2016 at 08:41
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2016 at 09:01
Ah, I wondered because they don't seem to perform at Park West anymore.  
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2016 at 10:01
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Ah, I wondered because they don't seem to perform at Park West anymore.  

I am not sure how often they are going to Chicago anymore.  Their tours have tended to be focused on the Northeast, a swath from Boston down to maybe as far south as DC.  They want to travel more extensively in the US I think but probably they have been doing it all by car, which gets harder as you go west and south where interested parties may be fewer and farther between.

edit:  looks like the 2010 tour was the last time they were in Chicago, and it was at "Park West".  It was with Steve Hackett.  Interestingly, on that tour, they were generally special guests of Steve Hackett but at Park West they were co-headliners.  They were also at Milwaukee and Cleveland, both midwestern cities, on that tour

They have been to Florida a few times and also Atlanta, but nothing out west in US since they reformed and started touring

Edited by kenethlevine - January 13 2016 at 11:21
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2016 at 13:31
Saw them in Newark in August....lovely theater in a rough neighborhood (then again, what in working class northern Jersey isn't "rough" anymore).  The band sounded great....well-rehearsed and out to prove they're still relevant.  Of course, the death of John Tout took away from the soul of the band but didn't rob them of momentum and their signature sound.  I hope this mini-renaissance continues.....Annie still has (most of) it!
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2016 at 18:30
I just checked out the performance of Captive Heart in the PA concert, 97.  Tesar did a good job but took lots of short cuts, skipped a fair few notes in the intro.  He is not far off on touch, which I'd have thought would have been more difficult to emulate, but kind of simplified it.  There isn't any recorded live version of this track with JT playing on it.  I don't know if they ever did perform it in the 70s; was always a bit awkward at the chorus where Annie harmonizes with Annie in the studio recording.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2016 at 19:57

I just checked out the performance of Captive Heart in the PA concert, 97.  Tesar did a good job but took lots of short cuts, skipped a fair few notes in the intro.  He is not far off on touch, which I'd have thought would have been more difficult to emulate, but kind of simplified it.  There isn't any recorded live version of this track with JT playing on it.  I don't know if they ever did perform it in the 70s; was always a bit awkward at the chorus where Annie harmonizes with Annie in the studio recording.

same thing with "Closer than Yesterday" from ASFAS.  I don't know if they ever did it live.  Likewise it doesn't appear that they ever did "Kindness and the End" or "She is Love".  Considering that they tended to very heavily promote their current albums throughout the 1970s, it is surprising that only 5 of the 8 tracks appear to have been played live.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2016 at 21:27
Yeah, I guess there have never been requests to perform Closer than yesterday. Still surprising that they never performed it in the 70s.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2016 at 22:15

Yeah, I guess there have never been requests to perform Closer than yesterday. Still surprising that they never performed it in the 70s.

I suppose it's possible that they did play it, but the Annie backing Annie would have been a challenge.
I think it's a lovely song and, like the all music guy alluded to, it was appealing in ways that were mostly new for the group.  I have read some comparisons to Abba.  I actually quite like Abba TBH, but to me this doesn't sound like them.  More like something Heart would have done as a ballad
fudgenuts64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fudgenuts64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2016 at 00:16
What is the Park West concert you speak of? I've got Carnegie and Dreams and Omens, plus two boots from 1976 and 1979 - John Tout actually uses a Mellotron in some spots on the latter recording.
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2016 at 07:25
Renaissance AND Curved Air in the same concert!!!

My dream just come true!!! There is any good english soul that would give shelter to a desperate brazilian boy!?!?! Big smile
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2016 at 08:56
Originally posted by GKR GKR wrote:

My dream just come true!!! There is any good english soul that would give shelter to a desperate brazilian boy!?!?! Big smile

when and where is that happening?
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2016 at 08:59
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Originally posted by GKR GKR wrote:

when and where is that happening?
https://www.facebook.com/RenaissanceTouring/photos/a.140075256032061.18953.138243849548535/1063500747022836/?type=3&theater
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2016 at 09:00
Originally posted by fudgenuts64 fudgenuts64 wrote:

What is the Park West concert you speak of? I've got Carnegie and Dreams and Omens, plus two boots from 1976 and 1979 - John Tout actually uses a Mellotron in some spots on the latter recording.

is the video - it was a TV show on a local Chicago station

There is also a CD Live in Chicago 1983
According to rogerthat, a DVD was released in Japan

There is some debate as to whether they did the whole of Ashes are Burning or just the end part.  The concert was only 40 mins so maybe they did the whole thing plus other tracks, or maybe the concert had a series of local bands doing a 40 minute spot.  To me this is the best vocal on the closing to Ashes.  There is New Jersey one that may rival it in histrionics but with this one you can see Annie in action.

GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2016 at 09:15
^^ In the joy created by the news I totally forgot to put a link. LOL

Man, how I envy you first world guys and your great concerts. Tongue
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2016 at 10:08
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

I suppose it's possible that they did play it, but the Annie backing Annie would have been a challenge.
I think it's a lovely song and, like the all music guy alluded to, it was appealing in ways that were mostly new for the group.  I have read some comparisons to Abba.  I actually quite like Abba TBH, but to me this doesn't sound like them.  More like something Heart would have done as a ballad

Yeah, I like ABBA too.  There are some Ren songs from that period - esp Bonjour Swansong and also ermm Electric Avenue - which evoke ABBA but not Closer than Yesterday for me.  Too pastoral to sound like ABBA.  In the whole multi-tracking/Annie over Annie harmonising phase they used to evoke Yes a lot more than they ever did ABBA but I guess Annie's timbre brings Agnetha to mind for some listeners in a loose sense like 'high pitched melodic female singing'.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2016 at 10:10
Re Park West, yeah skip right to the end for Ashes are burning because some of the stuff in between may not be too appetizing.  It seems odd that the version is abbreviated because they have always done a full and in fact extended performance of Ashes are burning from the 70s to the present day. More likely it was edited for TV.  Shame!
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2016 at 10:13
And this is the New Jersey performance that Ken mentioned.  Full performance and maybe a shade better than Chicago but pity about the video quality and the camera focuses on that rotating ball for the 'meat' of the performance though we do get to see Annie as she unleashes that vocalise from hell at just over 18:30 in the vid. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 38>