Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Renaissance Zone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 38>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2016 at 10:41
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Originally posted by fudgenuts64 fudgenuts64 wrote:

What is the Park West concert you speak of? I've got Carnegie and Dreams and Omens, plus two boots from 1976 and 1979 - John Tout actually uses a Mellotron in some spots on the latter recording.

is the video - it was a TV show on a local Chicago station

There is also a CD Live in Chicago 1983
According to rogerthat, a DVD was released in Japan

There is some debate as to whether they did the whole of Ashes are Burning or just the end part.  The concert was only 40 mins so maybe they did the whole thing plus other tracks, or maybe the concert had a series of local bands doing a 40 minute spot.  To me this is the best vocal on the closing to Ashes.  There is New Jersey one that may rival it in histrionics but with this one you can see Annie in action.
Fantastic Smile Is that Gavin Harrison on drums? Big smile
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2016 at 10:48
It is.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2016 at 10:53
I knew it. I wasn't paying much attention to the video, but the drums reminded me too much of Porcupine Tree Tongue
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2016 at 10:56
Interesting observation there because when I first heard this concert, I was surprised at how flat, how 80s Harrison sounded here.  Maybe he just didn't have a choice and/or was too inexperienced.  He said he was expected to perform the drum parts of Scheherazade in the audition and he was the only one who had learnt the track in advance which is why he got the job.  Camp in his trademark style of gently condescending banter said Harrison was the last guy to audition and it's always the last one who gets the job. Tongue
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2016 at 11:06
True, the drums sound flat, but the playing style is the same, despite being a kid here Tongue
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2016 at 11:38
there's actually a few good other performances in there, especially the sole track from Time Line, "Flight", is rather well done, as are some of the instrumental parts of Sheherazade and "Opening Out".
fudgenuts64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fudgenuts64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2016 at 20:27
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Originally posted by fudgenuts64 fudgenuts64 wrote:

What is the Park West concert you speak of? I've got Carnegie and Dreams and Omens, plus two boots from 1976 and 1979 - John Tout actually uses a Mellotron in some spots on the latter recording.

is the video - it was a TV show on a local Chicago station

There is also a CD Live in Chicago 1983
According to rogerthat, a DVD was released in Japan

There is some debate as to whether they did the whole of Ashes are Burning or just the end part.  The concert was only 40 mins so maybe they did the whole thing plus other tracks, or maybe the concert had a series of local bands doing a 40 minute spot.  To me this is the best vocal on the closing to Ashes.  There is New Jersey one that may rival it in histrionics but with this one you can see Annie in action.

I thought so - not a bad concert, I quite like Camp's getup but the keyboards really kill it for me. I can't think of any band with a worse synth pallet than Renaissance in 1981/1983.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2016 at 00:47
Yup, if only they had tried similar tones as on Nevada - either the Midwinter cover or Pictures in the fire (track). Still 80s but more 'timeless'.  I don't have a problem with the idea of wanting to do something different per se but it just came across as trying too hard to be different and sacrificing all their existing strengths at the altar of hipness. Even a good tune like Remember was ruined by Gosling's synths.  Not like KC's Discipline but then not a whole lot of 80s albums by 70s prog rock bands are that good.
fudgenuts64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fudgenuts64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2016 at 04:00
Well, I listened to Camel's Nude recently and I thought it was quite good - and I was very skeptical. And... um... I like a lot of the poppy albums from some 70s bands but in terms of 70s prog bands in the 80s making prog albums, it really is pretty dire. Plenty of albums from 80s bands, though.

On topic, I need that Nevada record so bad. Probably the last Renaissance thing I really want that I don't have yet. Enchanted Caress by Illusion really disappointed me when I finally got it though. One or two tracks worth it but I'm not surprised it never made it out the door.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2016 at 04:03
I omitted to mention Nude.  Another 80s album that was pretty good.  I quite like 90125 though I know it is not an universal favourite to say the least.  Not 80s Genesis, notwithstanding their success, and certainly not 80s Renaissance.  Never heard Enchanted Caress. I guess Nevada is or was available on amazon.  

You can listen to Pictures in the Fire here:

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2016 at 04:29
A little tidbit here.  I have found the Stephanie Adlington version of Loves Lies Love Dies from The Other Woman.  Love Lies Love Dies was originally Dreammaker with lyrics by Jon Camp (unless I am mistaken).  Love Lies has lyrics by Thatcher.  It was also used by Annie Haslam for her solo album Blessing in Disguise.  This video has a verse and chorus each from each version.  

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2016 at 04:33
Stephanie Adlington is a pretty good jazz singer.  It was quite brave of her to attempt the folk-classical repertoire of Annie Haslam, given she was bound to only land brickbats for the most part.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2016 at 12:14
Annie Haslam showing up on the most recent Yes tribute album performing Wondrous Stories (I believe) with Steve Howe. On second thought, it was Turn of the Century.

Edited by Rednight - January 15 2016 at 12:19
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2016 at 22:30
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Annie Haslam showing up on the most recent Yes tribute album performing Wondrous Stories (I believe) with Steve Howe. On second thought, it was Turn of the Century.

I have heard that version of "Turn of the Century", and it is very beautiful indeed. The main problem I find with it is that the keyboards are so much weaker, but Annie's singing was really wonderful... it would have been nice to hear her do more Yes songs.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2016 at 22:42
It's a nice one though Annie's age kind of shows.  Jon Anderson was still singing that song better in live shows at around the same time as she recorded her version.  She should have attempted a few of those in the 70s maybe, when her voice was brighter and stronger in the fourth/fifth octaves.  Now, it's darker and stronger in the lower keys but Anderson sings in a female singer's range Tongue so that is useless.  Reaching Out, which she recorded in 77 for the short lived Intergalactic Touring Band, is a dead ringer for Jon Anderson - at least the verse.

Edited by rogerthat - January 15 2016 at 22:43
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2016 at 10:36
pfff.. amateurs..

a Renaissance appreciation thread... 3 pages now.. and not ONE picture of Annies feet.

For shame..
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2016 at 21:05
haha we have to be careful about your over zealous genuflection Micky
Re Camel, I think Stationary Traveller is a great example of  a prog group embracing the 80s while still being prog.  Brooding, morose and melodic, with plenty of great Latimer solos and good performances from members of Alan Parsons Project

Re Renaissance, I love the Adlington version of "Love Lies".  It's just a great song.  There are quite a few I like on that album, with "Somewhere west of here" being the one that sounds most like Renaissance, and is great.

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2016 at 08:05
Based on that 2 minute excerpt, I liked the arrangements while the singing was meh.  Kinda typical pop music type of singing.  It seems Stephanie didn't know the album was about the woman who stole away Betty Thatcher's lover.  Might have helped at least on this song because the pain didn't come through which Annie nailed on the Blessing in Disguise version. 
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2016 at 08:06
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

pfff.. amateurs..

a Renaissance appreciation thread... 3 pages now.. and not ONE picture of Annies feet.

For shame..

You are talking to a bunch of people (like Ken or Meltdowner) who have seen her in person and hence don't need photographs.  Wink
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2016 at 08:32
^ Well, I didn't see her feet CryLOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 38>