Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Renaissance Zone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 38>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2017 at 09:29
Renaissant were to make a new album in the configuration Camp/Sullivan/Tout and were looking for a new vocalist.  But Tout passed away before anything crystallised.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2017 at 17:38
I think I had read that interview with Sullivan.  Shame that they never got it together before Tout passed.

I wonder if Renaissance will be remembered in 100 years as being more appreciated posthumously than during their life.  I guess one could wonder the same thing about many acts, but somehow the romantic classical aspects of Renaissance make me feel guardedly confident that that will be the case
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2017 at 20:54
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

I think I had read that interview with Sullivan.  Shame that they never got it together before Tout passed.

I wonder if Renaissance will be remembered in 100 years as being more appreciated posthumously than during their life.  I guess one could wonder the same thing about many acts, but somehow the romantic classical aspects of Renaissance make me feel guardedly confident that that will be the case

If there is a revival of interest in almost purely acoustic music, yes. Even so it seems hard to imagine a time when they could again transcend their niche and become albeit briefly and not in a very big way a part of pop culture. I mean Mike Douglas, TOTP, Sight & Sound etc. Somebody posted the videos of Renaissance's performances in their 1978 appearance on Mike Douglas show but there was apparently a 1977 appearance too of which next to nothing is known. Maybe SteveG would be aware...

I give that I am rather pessimistic but people have become very lazy in how they consume music and if it isn't a part of pop culture, they don't know it. To quote Liam Gallagher, "If you're not on the charts, you don't exist."
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2017 at 21:12
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

First post of the new year in this thread to share with you an interview with Sullivan that at least I have never come across before. 

It confirms some hunches I had arrived at and without saying much, I will quote the man himself:

"<span style="color: rgb210, 216, 222; font-family: Arial; font-size: 14px; : rgb71, 76, 82;">There was a bit of a Ringo thing going on in the band, I feel sorry about it now, as the band never did reach its full potential. John was a great musician and unfortunately was never given the credit he deserved, and </span>Annie Haslam<span style="color: rgb210, 216, 222; font-family: Arial; font-size: 14px; : rgb71, 76, 82;"> was obviously bursting with lyrics. Still, it’s too late to worry about that now."</span>
<span style="color: rgb210, 216, 222; font-family: Arial; font-size: 14px; : rgb71, 76, 82;">
</span>
<span style="color: rgb210, 216, 222; font-family: Arial; font-size: 14px; : rgb71, 76, 82;">
</span>
<span style="color: rgb210, 216, 222; font-family: Arial; font-size: 14px; : rgb71, 76, 82;">"</span><span style=": rgb71, 76, 82; color: rgb210, 216, 222; font-family: Arial; font-size: 14px;">John to me and many others was the very heart of the RENAISSANCE sound, so his sacking – combined with the fact that I was spending all my time traveling, supporting albums from which I made very little money – brought me to the decision to leave and damn the consequences."</span>

So, John Tout was actually sacked from the band? I had thought he had left for... whatever. I would think that was a really bad move, for me Tout's piano was as important for the sound of the band as Annie's voice.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2017 at 21:29
I have long suspected he was sacked and Sullivan confirms it here. I think he had differences with the 'songwriting team' over the direction the band was going in and they may have duked it over it. Maybe not, that is my conjecture but something along those lines would have to happen for him to be sacked. Re the 'major mistake' mentioned on wiki, apparently he just left mid concert in a huff once. This I read on George Starostin's website. I have a lot of respect for Sullivan for that reason; he was consistent and stood up for Tout right till the end.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2017 at 09:07

If there is a revival of interest in almost purely acoustic music, yes. Even so it seems hard to imagine a time when they could again transcend their niche and become albeit briefly and not in a very big way a part of pop culture. I mean Mike Douglas, TOTP, Sight & Sound etc. Somebody posted the videos of Renaissance's performances in their 1978 appearance on Mike Douglas show but there was apparently a 1977 appearance too of which next to nothing is known. Maybe SteveG would be aware...

I give that I am rather pessimistic but people have become very lazy in how they consume music and if it isn't a part of pop culture, they don't know it. To quote Liam Gallagher, "If you're not on the charts, you don't exist."

I guess my suggestion they might become more popular than they ever were is pretty much out of the question.  But what with digital media and whatever follows it, I assume all this music we love will be available forever, so hopefully there will always be a small cadre of listeners interested in exploring the less chart ready acts of their day.  Of course, Renaissance having had one UK hit means they do exist by the definition you quote, and that hit could be a gateway to discovery of the band's more ambitious work.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2017 at 09:41

I guess my suggestion they might become more popular than they ever were is pretty much out of the question.  But what with digital media and whatever follows it, I assume all this music we love will be available forever, so hopefully there will always be a small cadre of listeners interested in exploring the less chart ready acts of their day.  Of course, Renaissance having had one UK hit means they do exist by the definition you quote, and that hit could be a gateway to discovery of the band's more ambitious work.

It wasn't for me and that's part of why I am not so optimistic. LOL  Like many other progheads, I got introduced through Ashes Are Burning, so unless I was in the prog rock 'circuit', I wouldn't know about Ren.  What you say CAN happen; for instance, my wife knew the Northern Lights song because her mum somehow knew it.  But SHE never bothered to check out their back catalogue as is typical of most casual listeners. While Northern Lights charted, it wasn't one of THE 70s hits like Waterloo, Hotel California, you get the drift.  I once got the chance to listen to a Casey Coast to Coast episode from the 70s on radio and I don't remember recognising a single song.  Some BANDS, yes, but that's it.  When you look at the week in week out charts, there are so many bands that get there and even though Northern Lights did last a fair while in the charts, it still didn't set them on fire. 

Another thing is the audience demographic at the concerts.  Annie once remarked that Ren's fans have grown up with the band.  That is, many of them are roughly as old as the band or maybe 10 years younger (assuming a college student in the 70s got into them at the time).  Whereas when I saw Iron Maiden live back in 2007, there were HARDLY any middle aged or older fans.  Mostly just us 20 somethings (not 20 something anymore, sadly LOL).  Only a few months back, I attended a show of a female singer who sings Bollywood songs and very well too (she is trained in Hindustani music) and pretty much all age groups were covered - old, middle aged, young/youngish ones like me, kids etc.  I THINK this sort of cross-demographic connect is necessary for the music to get passed on to the next generation.  From whatever I have seen, Ren lack this and I don't know why.  It may be the combination of their not really being front and center of pop culture (unlike aforesaid Bollywood singer) nor having that kickass quotient of an Iron Maiden to draw young audiences.  They are apparently square and yet not necessarily very infectious and demand some application from the listener. I am sure there will be a few of my age or younger who have heard them and even love their work but so far, our numbers aren't exactly substantial.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2017 at 14:04
Hmm...in NYC, Renaissance were quite an "in" band. I actually saw them at second of the three Carnegie Hall concerts with actor Rod Steiger and his wife in standing in line in front of my party as we were going in. So were days before Lennon was shot.

It always seemed to me that those that liked the band got on board right away and stayed. The punk and new wave crowd were never interested. It would be interesting to know how many PA fans got interested in the group after their 70's high point. 

Edited by SteveG - January 18 2017 at 14:59
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2017 at 14:26
wow Steve that's quite a coup.  I loved Rod Steiger in the few movies I saw with him.
There are some youngish Renaissance fans here, who by definition would have gotten into Renaissance after their heyday, such as our own rogerthat, and fudgenuts, among others.

When I'm talking about future fans, I'm thinking of when every one of us is dust, and there are a few who studiously comb whatever "archives" are in existence and sample the band. Perhaps there won't be bands performing Renaissance classics but just some oddballs who have uncovered them and are very devoted.  A small number to be sure, just like there are fans today of very obscure composers
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2017 at 15:06
Yes Ken. It was actually my brother who pointed Steiger out. He quickly put his finger to his lips and quietly said "Shhh. Should be a great concert. I hope you enjoy it." Quite surreal. I wish that we had sat next to him too! That would have been the icing on the cake!
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2017 at 17:41
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Hmm...in NYC, Renaissance were quite an "in" band. I actually saw them at second of the three Carnegie Hall concerts with actor Rod Steiger and his wife in standing in line in front of my party as we were going in. So were days before Lennon was shot.

It always seemed to me that those that liked the band got on board right away and stayed. The punk and new wave crowd were never interested. It would be interesting to know how many PA fans got interested in the group after their 70's high point. 

Yeah, this I don't get.  How is it that a band that did get popular in the mid 70s has since got buried in the archives?  Perhaps a part of the great anti-prog purge. Also, a lack of the 'pop culture' moments I mentioned; more hit singles wouldn't have hurt.  When you think of it, ELP is a lot less well-known today for a band that at its peak was a bigger live draw than Deep Purple.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 12:39
Well, to put Renaissance's US 70's popularity in perspective, they seemed to be popular only in the following east coast states: NY, Connecticut, Pennsylvania and New Jersey. I was doing live sound work on the west coast (mainly California, which is as big a country in itself) and heard or saw little of the group there, and rarely heard anyone mention them, it seems. I know that they were also popular in the east coast of Canada. Montreal most likely.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 19:59

Well, to put Renaissance's US 70's popularity in perspective, they seemed to be popular only in the following east coast states: NY, Connecticut, Pennsylvania and New Jersey. I was doing live sound work on the west coast (mainly California, which is as big a country in itself) and heard or saw little of the group there, and rarely heard anyone mention them, it seems. I know that they were also popular in the east coast of Canada. Montreal most likely.

Yup. They did do some shows West side I guess. Remember a show in Austin in 1976/77 being mentioned on their facebook page. But the band themselves admitted they didn't do enough shows outside the east coast.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2017 at 21:53

Yup. They did do some shows West side I guess. Remember a show in Austin in 1976/77 being mentioned on their facebook page. But the band themselves admitted they didn't do enough shows outside the east coast.

I grew up in Montreal, but they never became really big there, nor did they get a whole lot of airplay.  The only songs I remember hearing on the radio were Mother Russia and Midas Man.  They may have been slightly better known in Toronto and Ottawa.  Camera Camera got a lot of play in Ottawa at the time of release.  Interestingly, their most successful album on the Canadian charts was "A Song for all Seasons", reaching #45, which is about the same peak that Scheherazade and Novella hit in US.  But I'm not sure how much that Canadian chart was based on sales.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2017 at 02:27

I grew up in Montreal, but they never became really big there, nor did they get a whole lot of airplay.  The only songs I remember hearing on the radio were Mother Russia and Midas Man.  They may have been slightly better known in Toronto and Ottawa.  Camera Camera got a lot of play in Ottawa at the time of release.  Interestingly, their most successful album on the Canadian charts was "A Song for all Seasons", reaching #45, which is about the same peak that Scheherazade and Novella hit in US.  But I'm not sure how much that Canadian chart was based on sales.

Did they ever play in Montreal?  You mentioned seeing them on the Camera Camera tour in your review IIRC.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2017 at 09:49

Be as it may, but I think the bigger issue is why the group was not as popular in the UK as they were in the US. I don't have the stats, but I think that albums like Ashes Are Burning and Turn Of The Cards didn't even chart in the UK.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2017 at 09:59

Be as it may, but I think the bigger issue is why the group was not as popular in the UK as they were in the US. I don't have the stats, but I think that albums like Ashes Are Burning and Turn Of The Cards didn't even chart in the UK.

I have read that the UK scene never really accepted mkii and insisted that the Relf-led Renaissance was its true incarnation.  They did land a Sight & Sound outing but going by what Tout said in a '77 interview, it didn't get good reviews either. 

By the by, something I just read on fb.  That during the LATC performance of Ashes Are Burning (don't know which one in particular since they did three nights),  Annie went over to the front of the stage as it came to an end and sang without a mic!  Amazing if true (and have no reason to believe that a fan reminiscing about the show today would be making it up, though it's possible). This person mentioned that even without the mic, the chandelier at the venue seemed to vibrate to the strength of her voice.  
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2017 at 10:02
^I not sure why she would sing without a mic, but I am sure that she could get away with it!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2017 at 10:08

^I not sure why she would sing without a mic, but I am sure that she could get away with it!

Yup, and sincerely can't think of very many rock singers who could.  Ronnie could have, at least if he wasn't always singing over brutal heavy riffs. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2017 at 10:13
There is an old practice of folk singers in Britain singing unaccompanied without mics in the "old days" and perhaps that's what she was doing. And Ronnie J. Dio was an awesome powerhouse, if that's who you were refereing to.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 38>