Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Renaissance Zone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 38>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2017 at 04:25
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ Cool !! I dig Kajagoogoo - synth-pop with amazing musicianship (yes, particularly Nick Beggs on bass) but really colourful and detailed music. Not a far cry from Camera Camera Renaissance. I'm not too picky on exclusive-to-the-era sounds, fashions and so forth. All time frames offer their quirks.
A brief overview on my tastes :
SADE - Diamond Life
JAPAN - Gentlemen Take Polaroids
KING CRIMSON - Discipline
RENAISSANCE - Camera Camera
HAWKWIND - The Chronicle Of The Black Sword (even better, Live Chronicles)
OZRIC TENTACLES - Pungent Effulgent
MARILLION - Fugazi
TWELFTH NIGHT - Fact And Fiction
I.Q. - Tales From The Lush Attic
KAJAGOOGOO - Islands
ANTHRAX - Among The Living
SHUB NIGGURATH - Les Morts Vont Vite
IRON MAIDEN - Somewhere In Time
RUSH - Moving Pictures
YES - Drama
............to name a few of 80's awesomeness.

Of those, I like the Maiden, Rush, SN, Marillion and KC albums.  Oh, Anthrax too.  Even in Marillion, the 80s sound is very pronounced but maybe the Genesis influence forgives much.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2017 at 06:41
Back on track - listened to Turn Of The Cards yesterday, first time in a few years tbh, and it is still a FLAWLESS album. Definitely remains my top Renaissance album. From the direct simplicity of I Think Of You, through the sadness of Cold Is Being to the gripping epic Mother Russia. Just wonderful. Annie's voice can induce tears. Most beautiful voice I've ever heard. Sure prefer it to death-growls
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2017 at 10:16

Back on track - listened to Turn Of The Cards yesterday, first time in a few years tbh, and it is still a FLAWLESS album. Definitely remains my top Renaissance album. From the direct simplicity of I Think Of You, through the sadness of Cold Is Being to the gripping epic Mother Russia. Just wonderful. Annie's voice can induce tears. Most beautiful voice I've ever heard. Sure prefer it to death-growls

Same here, re the last line, and I do like death growls.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2017 at 11:14
I have a real soft spot for Renaissance.

Ashes are burning is their best IMO, followed by Turn of the cards and Scherezade. Good band with a wonerful singer.

Live at Carnegie Hall is also an excellent live album.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2017 at 11:42

Turn of the Cards has always been my favorite Renaissance album also.....Mother Russia and Black Flame are my personal favorites.....but Ashes Are Burning and of course Scheherazade are also excellent.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
doompaul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doompaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2017 at 15:32
I just picked up "Live at Carnegie Hall" the other day. Wow. A pretty amazing record with the exception of the 5 minute bass solo
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2017 at 22:15
Originally posted by doompaul doompaul wrote:

I just picked up "Live at Carnegie Hall" the other day. Wow. A pretty amazing record with the exception of the 5 minute bass solo

It's taken me some time, but I have really warmed up to the bass solo (I believe you mean the one on Ashes are Burning), specially since the song in general is really great, and the other added solos (specially piano) are really great. And what a way to make up for the lack of electric guitar for the solo at the end of the song, having Annie sing it instead. I guess it bothers me more the several minutes of the spoken tale of Scheherazade before the song begings (it's actually interesting to know what's going on in the story of the song... but once you already know it you don't really want to keep on listening to it every time).
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2017 at 23:05
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Turn of the Cards has always been my favorite Renaissance album also.....Mother Russia and Black Flame are my personal favorites.....but Ashes Are Burning and of course Scheherazade are also excellent.
Yes, yes indeed. These 3 you mentioned. A triptych of perfection
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2017 at 23:06
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Same here, re the last line, and I do like death growls.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2017 at 04:11
I always go back to Ashes Are Burning. I'm still stunned by the intro to Can You Understand?, and the fact that this album was the prototype for the classics that followed from Turn Of The Cards through to Novella.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2017 at 05:26

Especially the 5 minute bass solo Big smile
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2017 at 09:07
I think Novella get overlooked. Almost as good as the three that preceded it. 
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2017 at 09:11
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Especially the 5 minute bass solo Big smile
What would it be if not for the five minute bass solo?
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2017 at 09:39
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

I'd even rate it higher.  No dispensable tracks like On the Frontier/I Think of You and great cohesion.  I remember one review of Scherehazade had mentioned that it felt like listening to a collection of songs rather than an ALBUM and that's where Novella scores.  It tries to explore a style rather than try to present what all the band is capable of.  I am not saying they were guilty of showboating earlier but on Novella they sound like they have truly arrived.  Maybe that's why it disappointed fans at the time because in a sense it meant the end of their growth at least as far as their 'vintage' sound was concerned.  And not surprisingly, they would start changing the sound from the very next album. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2017 at 14:57

I'd even rate it higher.  No dispensable tracks like On the Frontier/I Think of You and great cohesion.   
I love On The Frontier. It's the Woody Guthrie in me, I suppose.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2017 at 16:05
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I'd even rate it higher.  No dispensable tracks like On the Frontier/I Think of You and great cohesion.   

Steve, I couldn't agree with you more.  On the Frontier is awesome.  To me the weakest part of Ashes is the title cut, and that might be partly because of Annie's histrionics in the live versions.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2017 at 03:57
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Steve, I couldn't agree with you more.  On the Frontier is awesome.  To me the weakest part of Ashes is the title cut, and that might be partly because of Annie's histrionics in the live versions
And I couldn't agree more with you about Ashes Are Burning. A good album closer IMHO, but not a great concert closer and completely played out over the last 30+ years.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2017 at 04:15
Novella was my very first Renaissance album in the late-80's. I enjoyed it a lot. I always compared it to Curved Air's stuff. Then I acquired the Carnegie Hall 2LP, then I was 'in love'. When I (slowly) came across Prologue, Scheherazade, Cards, Ashes, Seasons.............Camera Camera etc. I was in love with Annie (like, who wouldn't ?)
So.      
I place Renaissance above the usual suspects (Yes, ELP, Genesis........etc) but now still have (lots of) time for Meshuggah, Gorguts, Opeth and so on.
All I can say is - Roy Wood was one helluva lucky guy............
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2017 at 10:48
Oh Steve, I should have made it clearer.  I don't like the studio version of Ashes because I think the live versions are so much better!  And I never tire of hearing it live.  Last time they injected new fury into it with an incredibly flashy lead guitar solo, giving Annie a bit of a break, although she still participated.

My favorite Renaissance album is A Song for All Seasons, with Ashes and Turn a close second.  Side 2 of Turn of the Cards is perfection itself.  
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2017 at 10:51

No harm done. Still a great song, even if I've personally become tired of it live.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 38>