Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Renaissance Zone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 38>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2018 at 07:56
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^ Yes, the Annie album is superb and so outside of the box for her at that time!

Just picked up an original vinyl of Annie In Wonderland from Reckless Records in Chicago the other day...haven't even had a chance to play it yet. I never bought it in the old days,,,but then I don;t own anything past Song For All Seasons. I'll look for a copy of Azure if I see one in the bins.
:0
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2018 at 08:20
I think you'll enjoy it Doc. Some prog with pseudo world music and some old time classics like Nature Boy and Going Home thrown in. Btw, what did it cost you?
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2018 at 09:00
Her vocalise in the coda of Nature Boy is out of this world, especially that dissonant descending run just before she finishes with a sustained note. 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2018 at 11:16
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I think you'll enjoy it Doc. Some prog with pseudo world music and some old time classics like Nature Boy and Going Home thrown in. Btw, what did it cost you?
$4.99 and it's VG+
I also picked up Darryl Way's 'Wolf'  for $3.99....the 1974 US compilation  version

Edited by dr wu23 - February 28 2018 at 11:24
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2018 at 11:21
^ Mmm. Now that's a nice price!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2018 at 11:27
Reckless often has some nice bargains on the less collectable items....$1.99 for a VG version of Turn of the Cards...bought it for a friend.
Going to do a Chicago record run soon....when the weather is better ....going to Valshalla, Beverly Records, Dusty Groove, and Reckless again....there are 2 in Chicago.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2018 at 11:29
Good for you! I like picking up old vinyl if it's not too pricy. I'm not into the all the new reissue vinyl that's out now. Good for those that are into it, but it's not for me.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2018 at 11:34
I don't buy new releases either......I might buy a reissue of an obscure prog classic if I can't find it reasonable on original vinyl.
I have a young  friend who I turned onto prog and she buys new releases of Steven Wilson...sh'es become a fanatic for his music and wants them all on vinyl if she can track then all down.
Haquin
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2018 at 13:16
The photo has possibly been doctored a bit, but Annie looks foxy on the cover of Time Line
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2018 at 15:37
Its hard to imagine any artist that would not be influenced by Roy Wood. Occasionally in some strange ways!

Edited by SteveG - February 28 2018 at 15:38
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2018 at 05:59
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

The photo has possibly been doctored a bit, but Annie looks foxy on the cover of Time Line

She apparently hates that cover now. Came across an audience recording from one of her Brazil shows from last year and she was saying she didn't know what she was thinking wearing a jacket for the Timeline cover.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2018 at 10:36
The denim jacket was not offensive. It was her hair, makeup, and creepy facial expression that was!

Edited by SteveG - March 01 2018 at 10:37
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2018 at 11:18
^ Her nose !! And what happened to her Annie pendant ?? The intro track - Flight - is as great as any classic Renaissance tune.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2018 at 08:24
Hmm... her nose does look a bit witchy on the pic but I suppose it's a trick of the light. At least I hope so!
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2018 at 10:55
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ Her nose !! And what happened to her Annie pendant ?? The intro track - Flight - is as great as any classic Renaissance tune.

I love when Annie and Jon sang together.  My first reaction when I heard it was that it sounded a bit like Renaissance Mach 1, especially because at the start she is singing in a lower register than normal, more like that occupied by jane Relf.

Well, the rest of the album, not so good, although side 1 isn't bad

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2018 at 02:02
Just spinning Azure d’or and yep, I’m loving it more than ever. Just flipped the side to Secret Mission, a mini-epic right there. And now, Kalynda. A very sweet album from 1979. And it discussions like this thread that just remind me how special ‘classic’ Prog is. Oh how the chorus of Kalynda is so beautiful. Chances are, I’ll put a Slayer album on at some stage and enjoy that, but it’s nothing on Renaissance !!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2018 at 04:06
My favorite pic of Annie!
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2018 at 05:24
Always loved how back then she used to concentrate so hard that at times she would close her eyes. She seemed to know she was on the cusp of perfection and strove as hard as she could to attain it.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2018 at 15:29
I posted a couple of Renaissance reviews for you chaps. I hope you like them.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2018 at 15:44
As album covers go - how does Timeline compare with ELPs Love Beach?
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 38>