Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Renaissance Zone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 38>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2018 at 15:21
^ I would have preferred to have heard "Face Of Yesterday" form the mach 1 group's second album. It was Jane's high point and a natural for Annie to do.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2018 at 18:54
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^ I would have preferred to have heard "Face Of Yesterday" form the mach 1 group's second album. It was Jane's high point and a natural for Annie to do.
Me too.  Guess Annie chose Island out of sentimental reasons (she sang that track for her Renaissance audition).
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2018 at 07:38
Has anyone got the DVD yet?  And, most importantly, can you see me in the audience?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2018 at 07:42
^ Are you the bloke that all the women keep looking at?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2018 at 08:12
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Has anyone got the DVD yet?  And, most importantly, can you see me in the audience?

I had only ordered the digital download. I did receive an email over a month back saying that the DVD packages had been damaged in transit and they were trying to sort it out with the manufacturer.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2018 at 11:15

doubt it...but I am the guy transfixed on Annie...I know that doesn't help a lot!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2018 at 11:55

doubt it...but I am the guy transfixed on Annie...I know that doesn't help a lot!
Ok then, a non photogenic white male starring at Annie. Well now, that should be easy. lol!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 07:38
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Me too.  Guess Annie chose Island out of sentimental reasons (she sang that track for her Renaissance audition).

My recollection as that the version of "Face of Yesterday" on the first ILLUSION album was even better than the original version?  Anyways, to be the first ILLUSION album is one of the most instantly likable albums, and the second album is pretty strong as well
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 08:49

My recollection as that the version of "Face of Yesterday" on the first ILLUSION album was even better than the original version?  Anyways, to be the first ILLUSION album is one of the most instantly likable albums, and the second album is pretty strong as well

Her rendition is better on the Illusion version. But I am still finding her singing to leave a lot to be desired upon this reprise. Could have done so much more with those beautiful lines. Lovely melody too.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 09:28

Her rendition is better on the Illusion version. But I am still finding her singing to leave a lot to be desired upon this reprise. Could have done so much more with those beautiful lines. Lovely melody too.
To be fair, the song would be nothing without John Hawken's beautiful piano accompaniment! One of Mr. Hawken's finest moments on record.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 10:37

To be fair, the song would be nothing without John Hawken's beautiful piano accompaniment! One of Mr. Hawken's finest moments on record.

Couldn't agree more.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 14:57
what about "Beautiful Country" or "Wings Across the Sea"?  More Relf and Hawken magic

But then there are also "Isadora" and "Madonna Blue", sung my McCarty I believe, and possibly the best Illusion songs (great Hawken work on both).  Then there is "The Revolutionary", like a cross between "Hero and Heroine" and CLANNAD's "Ancient Forest".

Edited by kenethlevine - July 13 2018 at 14:58
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2018 at 04:05

what about "Beautiful Country" or "Wings Across the Sea"?  More Relf and Hawken magic

But then there are also "Isadora" and "Madonna Blue", sung my McCarty I believe, and possibly the best Illusion songs (great Hawken work on both).  Then there is "The Revolutionary", like a cross between "Hero and Heroine" and CLANNAD's "Ancient Forest".
Absolutely agree 100%.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2018 at 09:14

There was something quintessentially prog about both mki and Illusion while mkii has always felt more like a symph/folk rock/pop band. I've always liked the songwriting of Relf/McCarthy more.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2018 at 09:15
Also, SteveG can correct me if I am wrong about this, but always felt mki/Illusion was more baroque while mkii leaned more towards classical composers.  The Indian composer Ilayaraja influenced my listening a lot in my formative years and he was a bigtime Bach fanboy so I guess I find baroque more attractive.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2018 at 09:55

Also, SteveG can correct me if I am wrong about this, but always felt mki/Illusion was more baroque while mkii leaned more towards classical composers.  The Indian composer Ilayaraja influenced my listening a lot in my formative years and he was a bigtime Bach fanboy so I guess I find baroque more attractive.
I agree but I think we need to use hyphenated terms like classical-orchestral for mk2 and classical-baroque for mk1 (as Bach was in that band's DNA). 

Edited by SteveG - July 14 2018 at 09:57
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2018 at 09:59

I agree but I think we need to use hyphenated terms like classical-orchestral for mk2 and classical-baroque for mk1 (as Bach was in that band's DNA). 

Yeah, exactly, mk ii liked the orchestral sound mainly.  With mki, you can hear the contrapuntal basslines (intro of Face of Yesterday for example) which is where the classical element comes in rather than through using orchestral elements. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2018 at 14:50
yes I had heard those references to the two different lineups of Renaissance - baroque vs romantic.  But the Ren Mach 1 still doesn't do much for me to this day, whereas they really hit their stride when they reunited as Illusion in the mid-late 1970s.  Unfortunately they didn't have the following that Mach 2 had and Mach 2 wasn't huge enough to draw people in based on the tenuous connections.  Suffice to say that, love them, hate them or be indifferent, their intertwined histories are fascinating, not to mention connections to bands like Yardbirds and Strawbs.  I'm also a fan of McCarty's two solo albums, particularly "Out of the Dark" from the early 1990s (which allmusic granted 4.5 stars to) and even RENAISSANCE ILLUSION from the early 2000s.  He should have used Jane a bit more in that latter album.  He has also done some good work in the more new agey outfit called PILGRIM, who have a few great songs like "A Face to Die for" and "A Dream within a Dream"
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2018 at 21:02

yes I had heard those references to the two different lineups of Renaissance - baroque vs romantic.  But the Ren Mach 1 still doesn't do much for me to this day, whereas they really hit their stride when they reunited as Illusion in the mid-late 1970s.  Unfortunately they didn't have the following that Mach 2 had and Mach 2 wasn't huge enough to draw people in based on the tenuous connections.  Suffice to say that, love them, hate them or be indifferent, their intertwined histories are fascinating, not to mention connections to bands like Yardbirds and Strawbs.  I'm also a fan of McCarty's two solo albums, particularly "Out of the Dark" from the early 1990s (which allmusic granted 4.5 stars to) and even RENAISSANCE ILLUSION from the early 2000s.  He should have used Jane a bit more in that latter album.  He has also done some good work in the more new agey outfit called PILGRIM, who have a few great songs like "A Face to Die for" and "A Dream within a Dream"

Speaking of the connections, I learnt yesterday that Jane did a demo of Carpet of the Sun too.  It's on a compilation called Complete Jane Relf collection.  The song is available on amazon mp3 or streaming services like spotify or deezer, neither of which are available in India.  You can hear a sample too on amazon mp3:

https://www.amazon.com/Carpet-Sun-feat-Renaissance/dp/B004ZSSF00
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2018 at 04:00
^Wow, that's fascinating! Love following this band's early history. I also like McCarty's solo albums but I've never heard the Pilgrim material. I'll have to check it out asap.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 38>