Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Renaissance Zone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 38>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2018 at 10:40
Speaking of McCarty, here's a few one off curios from his short lived band called Shoot:

Head Under Water/Sepia Sister got air play in some US mid western states. On The Frontier is his version of the Renaissance song that he penned with Betty Thatcher.

Edited by SteveG - August 18 2018 at 10:48
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2018 at 19:29
dup post see below

Edited by kenethlevine - August 19 2018 at 19:33
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2018 at 19:31
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

^ that album is decent, but I think this song is my favorite, though this is a pretty poor recording.  I certainly don't remember ever hearing ANYTHING by Shoot on the radio, but it might have happened at the time, which was a few years before I started to listen to FM rock.  I do like Head Under Water/Sepia Sister a lot too.  For me, the Mach 2 version of "On the Frontier" is superb, and I find the song underrated among fans

Edited by kenethlevine - August 19 2018 at 19:31
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2018 at 04:10
^ And the album was recorded at Abbey Road, so go figure! Yeah, this a good album but what really impresses me is McCarty's output overall. With so many one offs and different group projects.  Amazing! Btw, I was going by the liner notes in regard to the song getting some airplay. Damned if I can remember any of it!

Edited by SteveG - August 20 2018 at 04:12
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2018 at 15:59
^ oh I think the problem with that youtube of Ships and Sails is it was recorded form a speaker or something, and the turntable speed seems a bit fast.  I have a much better sounding version but I can't post it
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2018 at 18:44
Interesting version of On the Frontier.  More rocking.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 04:05

^ oh I think the problem with that youtube of Ships and Sails is it was recorded form a speaker or something, and the turntable speed seems a bit fast.  I have a much better sounding version but I can't post it
Yes, I played the album this morning. Sound's normal, thank God. A very good song btw, with what I assume is a West Coast vibe that was deliberate.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 04:07
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

It's just a curiosity for me as it doesn't hold a candle to the version found on Ashes Are Burning. It's kind of like Renaissance meets the Byrds! LOL
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 04:39
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

It's just a curiosity for me as it doesn't hold a candle to the version found on Ashes Are Burning. It's kind of like Renaissance meets the Byrds! LOL

Same here.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 08:20

Yes, I played the album this morning. Sound's normal, thank God. A very good song btw, with what I assume is a West Coast vibe that was deliberate.

good catch on the west coast vibe.  There's a kinship with the Bob Welch/Danny Kirwan fronted Fleetwood Mac that I had not discerned.  Just love this song, and it's a pretty recent discovery for me.  As you say, McCarty has such a rich history in and of himself, with all the little bands he started up or participated in.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 08:23

Same here.

Yeah, they make it sound so mystical.  One of my favorite short early Renaissance numbers, along with "Spare Some Love" and "Cold is Being"
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2018 at 18:45
They're going to play Opening Out and Day of The Dreamer with orchestra in November!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2018 at 03:54
^ Wonderful! But I'd love to hear an extended version of Opening Out arranged Rave Tesar.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2018 at 10:50
I remember seeing them do those two tracks back in 2010 or so, will be great with the orchestra of course
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2018 at 09:08
*bump*  Just now I read Steve's review of the new DVD.  Pretty fair and yes, about time they finally did that studio album.  They ought to while she still has voice left in her, mean it. 

In other news, Annie is also participating in a celebration of Strawbs spring next year on the occasion of their 50th anniversary.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2018 at 21:15
I still haven't watched the DVD with orchestra but my impression from the download was that it sounded much more subdued than it FELT at the show

But yes it's time for a new studio album if ever.  I'm just not sure they can really pull it off without Dunford, although Rave might be able to conjure some new magic.

Edited by kenethlevine - December 15 2018 at 21:16
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2018 at 22:18

I still haven't watched the DVD with orchestra but my impression from the download was that it sounded much more subdued than it FELT at the show

But yes it's time for a new studio album if ever.  I'm just not sure they can really pull it off without Dunford, although Rave might be able to conjure some new magic.

Maybe the mixing is too lush then.  It does feel like that on the recording. The sound is very lush and cozy, which is nice, but it also sounds a tad too restrained and I can believe it wasn't quite like that live.

I had really thought when Annie got Ryche Chlanda into the band after Dunford's death that he would help write songs for a new album.  But his solo act seemed to take off in the meantime and it was goodbye.  Rave is okie dokie but I really don't think of anybody in the line up as being very good at songwriting so yeah, that's probably what's holding Annie back though she keeps talking about wanting to do a studio album.  I have realised these are not pie in the sky dreams.  She put together shows to UK/Europe, Brazil and with orchestra...all as promised. But she's also running out of time.  Voice giving way in the middle of a handful of shows as it did at Tarrytown is not a good sign.  Might have had to do with the weather, to be fair, but her age will also make her more vulnerable to such issues.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2018 at 11:14
Apparently, at least one of Annie's roles at the Strawbs 50th is to sing Sandy Denny parts in some of the oldest songs.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2018 at 07:58

Apparently, at least one of Annie's roles at the Strawbs 50th is to sing Sandy Denny parts in some of the oldest songs.

Exactly why I am looking forward to it.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2018 at 08:45
 A good example of how a bad (should I say lousy) recording can absolutely wreck perception of a performance.

I found this same performance elsewhere in good quality audio.  This - and pretty much the entire concert - has Annie and the band pulling out all stops but if you listen to the vid above, you would hear a trainwreck.  Somebody's even left a comment asking if anything's in tune.  Turns out nothing's wrong with the performance, but everything possible with the recording.  Guess Peter Barron was the drummer here, and he did some wonderful work throughout the show, very lively.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 38>