Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Renaissance Zone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 38>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2020 at 09:00
^ This is cool. I fast forwarded straight to the F5 section in Ashes Are Burning. I guess we know our Annie!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2020 at 09:30
Hahaha!
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2020 at 15:15
pretty awesome indeed
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2020 at 12:58

An oddball Annie song that Psychedelic Paul might like.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 14:13
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

That was Poptastic! Thumbs Up I'm just old enough to remember that "Flowers in the Rain" by The Move was the first ever record played on BBC Radio 1 by Tony Blackburn way back in 1967.

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 27 2020 at 09:33
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 05:29
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

That was Poptastic! Thumbs Up I'm just old enough to remember that "Flowers in the Rain" by The Move was the first ever recorded played on BBC Radio 1 by Tony Blackburn way back in 1967.
Right you are. I remember the Move had a male vocalist that seemed to disappear very quickly after this song came out.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 09:35

That was Poptastic! Thumbs Up I'm just old enough to remember that "Flowers in the Rain" by The Move was the first ever recorded played on BBC Radio 1 by Tony Blackburn way back in 1967.
Right you are. I remember the Move had a male vocalist that seemed to disappear very quickly after this song came out.
I just realised I made a typo error in my last message. It should have said "record" and not "recorded" Smile

I just Googled The Move and discovered that the vocalist who disappeared from The Move soon after "Flowers in the Rain" was Carl Wayne. He also sang "Fire Brigade" and he sounded remarkably like Roy Wood. In fact, I'd always assumed it was Roy Wood on vocals on those two records until now. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 27 2020 at 09:42
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 09:38

I just realised I made a typo error in my last message. It should have said "record" and not "recorded" Smile
No biggie. We all make typos from time to time.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2020 at 01:47
Took the risk of attempting to sing a Renaissance song! I mostly stick to Hindi and some R&B/alt/soft rock (Wonder/Radiohead/Steely Dan) and the toughest song I have previously attempted was Jeff Buckley's Last Goodbye.

But I chanced on a software that can take vocals out of a recording so used it to create a karaoke of sorts for I Think Of You. Which is probably the easiest song in Annie's repertoire and still not frightfully easy. At least not if you have to sing in the same key (or the exact octave below, as I did). Annie carries an astonishing amount of brightness even into her low range and that's HARD. I also had to do three different takes, not because I was struggling with pitch, but because she straddles a perfect balance of minimalism and expression and if I tried to override the backbeat - which I love to do - it made the rendition sound lazy or lacking in intensity. I could have got around the low note being too low if I could simply sing in a higher key because a D4 (the high note) is very easy for me but obviously when I am using the original music, I don't have that option and had to make a fist of it.

I usually stop attempting retakes at the point where I think I have hit my ceiling, regardless of how low or high it happens to be in that song! So here goes. Hopefully didn't totally murder the song for you.

Edited by rogerthat - March 03 2020 at 01:50
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2020 at 04:06
^ Clap You're a brave guy Madan!!
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2020 at 07:56
Thanks Steve!
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2020 at 17:25
yes I have a sense of how challenging that must be from having tried Northern Lights on karaoke.   Suffice to say you did far better than me!

But on to other relevant topics.  Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth did a neat video at a famous record store in NYC in which he dug up vinyl that was a big influence on him, and guess which album showed up?  It is between 2:50 and 4:10 or in this video

Edited by kenethlevine - March 13 2020 at 17:30
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2020 at 21:42
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

yes I have a sense of how challenging that must be from having tried Northern Lights on karaoke.   Suffice to say you did far better than me!

But on to other relevant topics.  Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth did a neat video at a famous record store in NYC in which he dug up vinyl that was a big influence on him, and guess which album showed up?  It is between 2:50 and 4:10 or in this video

Thanks, Ken. Would love to hear you sing by the way.  

That Akerfeldt video got a bunch of people turned onto Renaissance. Clap  Hilarious anecdote there about a drunk Steven Wilson actually asking Roy Wood how was Annie in bed.  Wilson is lucky to have come back alive from that. LOL
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2020 at 06:58
I listened to ashes are burning for the first time last night and holy sh*t, that album grabbed me from start to finish. I'm listening again this morning, this is a masterpiece! Gonna have to deep dive on this band, i've heard Scheherazade and that's also great.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2020 at 07:41
Thumbs Up  You're in for a treat!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2020 at 16:36
Check out Live at Carnegie Hall... that was my first album, covers the best songs from their best albums, and for me the versions are better. If you liked Ashes are Burning in the studio, check out that live version... though you might have to get used to the extended jamming in the middle (it goes into 24 min), and how they solved their lack of an electric guitar for the finale of the song (but oh man, is it impressive what they did).
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2020 at 16:49
Oh man, you’ll melt when you listen to Turn of the Cards.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2020 at 16:52
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Thanks, Ken. Would love to hear you sing by the way.  

That Akerfeldt video got a bunch of people turned onto Renaissance. Clap  Hilarious anecdote there about a drunk Steven Wilson actually asking Roy Wood how was Annie in bed.  Wilson is lucky to have come back alive from that. LOL
Wilson must’ve been plastered. That’s not the question you ask ANYONE. That took some balls.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2020 at 06:06
Listening to Turn of the Cards now, amazing stuff. This band is brilliant, ive been sleeping on them!
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2020 at 07:08
^ Warning : Do not tear up whilst listening to Black Flame !!
If and when you make it to their 80’s albums, don’t shy away, I think they’re very good, too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 38>