Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Renaissance Zone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 38>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2017 at 07:58
I've found If I Loved You (the Wonderland version) on youtube.  Wasn't there before:

Just for comparison, the Streisand version:

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2017 at 08:15
Well, I'm about to hit the sack, so on goes Annie In Wonderland as a nightcap.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2017 at 08:35
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Well, I'm about to hit the sack, so on goes Annie In Wonderland as a nightcap.

So you are from Aus/NZ thereabouts?
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2017 at 08:41
^ Nailed it    Down Under.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2017 at 08:53
Yeah, it's 8:30 PM in Mumbai and there's no way Ken or Steve are hitting their sack right now so...
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2017 at 19:18
So...I did bite the bullet on the Live at BBC package (it's pretty expensive) and on first impressions, seems worth it.  The sound is great on the audio CDs, easily better than on any of their other live discs from the 70s.  I never owned the BBC Sessions CD so I can't tell if the sound is the same as on that one or has been enhanced. Was a trifle disappointed with the DVD video in that the video quality isn't as good as an amateur remastering job that one 'Bruno S' had posted on youtube (and has since been taken down). But I will reserve judgment on that until I get to play the DVD on a big screen rather than the laptop.  Another glitch on the audio CDs is the order jumps all over the place and it doesn't seem to have an option to just open the folder in a new window and select songs individually (maybe this was done to fool proof it against piracy).  But the sound quality is so good that I don't mind this little glitch all that much especially being that I wasn't there for the shows and it really doesn't matter if the songs play in a different order.  If you don't have the BBC Sessions double disc, then it's well worth it.

kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2017 at 13:28
and you did a great review, thanks!
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2017 at 00:30
Welcome, glad you liked it.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2017 at 04:21
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

So...I did bite the bullet on the Live at BBC package (it's pretty expensive) and on first impressions, seems worth it.  The sound is great on the audio CDs, easily better than on any of their other live discs from the 70s.  I never owned the BBC Sessions CD so I can't tell if the sound is the same as on that one or has been enhanced. Was a trifle disappointed with the DVD video in that the video quality isn't as good as an amateur remastering job that one 'Bruno S' had posted on youtube (and has since been taken down). But I will reserve judgment on that until I get to play the DVD on a big screen rather than the laptop.  Another glitch on the audio CDs is the order jumps all over the place and it doesn't seem to have an option to just open the folder in a new window and select songs individually (maybe this was done to fool proof it against piracy).  But the sound quality is so good that I don't mind this little glitch all that much especially being that I wasn't there for the shows and it really doesn't matter if the songs play in a different order.  If you don't have the BBC Sessions double disc, then it's well worth it.

Glad to see the BBC double disc material released again in any form. Wonderful audio performances even if the visuals sound a little dodgy. 
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2017 at 04:26
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Glad to see the BBC double disc material released again in any form. Wonderful audio performances even if the visuals sound a little dodgy. 

It's not that it's dodgy, just that we have the tech today to clean it up even more.  But I am not surprised.  Bruno S had also come out with a remastered and pro shot version of Ashes Are Burning from the '76 Capitol Theater show which was way better than the official Music Vault upload. I'd put it as the difference between a normal feed and HD.  It's not the normal is bad, but the HD is so much clearer.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2017 at 10:02
Bump-bumpity-bump. 

Two things to share.  One, Renaissance is going to perform with an orchestra for the first time since the 70s.  Coming up this October:

And...a performance of Quiet Nights and Quiet Stars (which was first included in Annie's solo covers album One Enchanted Evening) during their tour of Brazil:

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2017 at 16:42
^ great news, thanks for sharing!
already making tentative plans to visit my friend in PA for the Keswick show
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2017 at 09:21
for those so inclined, Renaissance is doing a campaign to raise funds for the tour and DVD vis Indiegogo, as hiring a chamber orchestra doesn't come cheap.  I am probably going to do the $75 level where you get your name on the website, the booklet of the DVD, and an autographed copy.  It will be worth it just to (finally, and hopefully) get a proper video version of "A Song for All Seasons", which they played in US but not in UK where the previous DVD was recorded.  I hope they do a number of tracks that were not on the Union Chapel DVD, though of course seeing the old classics with an orchestra would be different anyway

Edited by kenethlevine - June 16 2017 at 09:22
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2017 at 14:01
I saw them twice in 1983 with a very young Gavin Harrison ( Porcupine Tree, King Crimson) on drums.
Really amazing show. Jon Camp took the bass solo on Ashes are Burning to a whole new level. I had never seen anyone play bass like that before.The opened the show with the piano intro from Can you Understand right in to The Vultures Fly High. Just blew my mind!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2017 at 14:19
^Very Cool! I saw them in 1982 with Peter Barron on drums, who was no slouch either, and Peter Gosling on keys. Great show that featured the album Camera Camera.

Edited by SteveG - June 27 2017 at 14:20
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2017 at 17:15

^Very Cool! I saw them in 1982 with Peter Barron on drums, who was no slouch either, and Peter Gosling on keys. Great show that featured the album Camera Camera.

I saw them on that tour too and they were great.  I was in college in Ottawa and dragged a bunch of dorm mates out to see them and a good time was had by all.  The next year they returned at the time of Time Line.  For whatever reason, I let it pass without attending.  Possibly just the student budget!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2017 at 04:30
^Alas, it was the last time I saw the band live in a very small venue. I must say that about half of audience was unfamiliar with the Camera Camera material. They liked it but I think they were shocked by it too.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2017 at 08:15

^Alas, it was the last time I saw the band live in a very small venue. I must say that about half of audience was unfamiliar with the Camera Camera material. They liked it but I think they were shocked by it too.

have you been able to see them in any of their recent Northeast tours?  Definitely worth it, but I'm not sure what part of the country you are in

Edited by kenethlevine - June 28 2017 at 08:16
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2017 at 09:25
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

I saw them twice in 1983 with a very young Gavin Harrison ( Porcupine Tree, King Crimson) on drums.
Really amazing show. Jon Camp took the bass solo on Ashes are Burning to a whole new level. I had never seen anyone play bass like that before.The opened the show with the piano intro from Can you Understand right in to The Vultures Fly High. Just blew my mind!

They used to do that on the Azure D'Or tour.  This is the first time I am hearing that they did it on the Timeline tour as well.  On the Timeline tour, they often played a medley of Can You Understand (piano intro) and Touching Once (abbreviated interlude and last verse).
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2017 at 14:48
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

have you been able to see them in any of their recent Northeast tours?  Definitely worth it, but I'm not sure what part of the country you are in
No Ken, but my wife and I caught a couple of Annie's solo shows in two very tiny clubs in Eastern PA in the early 2000's. Wonderfully intimate shows and Annie was fantastic as usual. Some of her solo material really came across better live than on her CD's, which has always puzzled me as I'm a retired recording engineer! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 38>