Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Renaissance Zone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 38>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2019 at 00:57
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

A good example of how a bad (should I say lousy) recording can absolutely wreck perception of a performance.

I found this same performance elsewhere in good quality audio.  This - and pretty much the entire concert - has Annie and the band pulling out all stops but if you listen to the vid above, you would hear a trainwreck.  Somebody's even left a comment asking if anything's in tune.  Turns out nothing's wrong with the performance, but everything possible with the recording.  Guess Peter Barron was the drummer here, and he did some wonderful work throughout the show, very lively.

does the other version of the same performance omit the very powerful last few minutes as well?

It's the full song and right where this video ends, the audience keeps clapping mid song, probably overwhelmed by the intensity of Annie's singing. She really gets the intensity right in this one, which I don't think even the studio cut quite had. The encore is yet another incredible rendition of Ashes are burning. Heck, I really dislike Fairies and I enjoyed the performance of that song in this show because the band performed it with so much gusto. Must have been so demoralizing for them to play the heck out off the songs on the stage and still find themselves sinking commercially. On a more positive tone, I wish the concert would be officially released. It's one of their best shows, no kidding. Has Camera Camera the song (with Annie's looong sustained notes provoking audible gasps from the crowd) and she even nails the screams of Jigsaw, later giggling and admitting that this one does tire her out a bit. You wouldn't notice any tiredness from the audio!

it coincides approximately with the time I saw them in 1982, and it was a superb show that had me and my Annie stricken dorm mates in awe for days, especially Ashes are Burning!

They performed the heck out of Ashes in the 80s no doubt. I found another show at Palladium, 1982 which has hands down the best version of Day of the Dreamer. Every inflection Annie introduced in the slow verse (that wasn't there in the studio cut) was beautiful and enhanced the emotion of the song. She made it sound as intimate as a performance at a small pub with the fans gathered at the front as opposed to one at a 1000 seater venue, which it really was.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2019 at 15:44

I found another show at Palladium, 1982 which has hands down the best version of Day of the Dreamer. Every inflection Annie introduced in the slow verse (that wasn't there in the studio cut) was beautiful and enhanced the emotion of the song. She made it sound as intimate as a performance at a small pub with the fans gathered at the front as opposed to one at a 1000 seater venue, which it really was.

Is it on YT? Hollywood Palladium?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2019 at 18:18
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I found another show at Palladium, 1982 which has hands down the best version of Day of the Dreamer. Every inflection Annie introduced in the slow verse (that wasn't there in the studio cut) was beautiful and enhanced the emotion of the song. She made it sound as intimate as a performance at a small pub with the fans gathered at the front as opposed to one at a 1000 seater venue, which it really was.

Is it on YT? Hollywood Palladium?

Sadly isn't.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 17:10
Is that with a young Gavin Harrison on the drums ??
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 20:12
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Is that with a young Gavin Harrison on the drums ??

Robert Barron.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 20:39
^ I just looked - I have a Park West performance with GH on drums.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 21:02
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ I just looked - I have a Park West performance with GH on drums.

Yeah, that's the tour he was in.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 21:37
Gavin talks about how he got to play with Renaissance in the first couple of minutes here:

He brings out the importance of preparation.  He says he got the audition because he had practiced the songs they had asked him to learn for a week and he turned out to be the only drummer who could play those songs. 

While I thought he was pretty stiff at least in the Park West show vis a vis Barron's footloose drumming on the Camera Camera tour shows, he acquitted himself very well for somebody of his age (just 19) on his first tour to America. And it may well be too that he would have been able to play stuff like Scheherazade the way it was in the original but the band wanted that 80s sound to go with their New Wave style of the 80s.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 21:47
^ Thanks for posting - always great to watch interviews with GH - up there with the best.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2019 at 07:34
Two things

1)  I met Annie briefly at Strawbs' 50th.  Apparently Jim McCarty will be performing with the group in the Autumn tour!  I must say they are doing a great job of keeping things fresh considering there has been no new original material for some time.  It would be great to hear him on some of the eraly songs and maybe even a few Illusion songs
2)  I did a review of the Strawbs' weekend.  The big surprise re Annie was the performance of "Reaching out", the Intergalactic Touring Band album, with orchestra

Edited by kenethlevine - May 03 2019 at 07:34
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2019 at 08:02

Two things

1)  I met Annie briefly at Strawbs' 50th.  Apparently Jim McCarty will be performing with the group in the Autumn tour!  I must say they are doing a great job of keeping things fresh considering there has been no new original material for some time.  It would be great to hear him on some of the eraly songs and maybe even a few Illusion songs
2)  I did a review of the Strawbs' weekend.  The big surprise re Annie was the performance of "Reaching out", the Intergalactic Touring Band album, with orchestra

Wonderful review.  And nice you not only met her but got that scoop.  I don't think they have announced McCarty returning to the fold yet. However, NOW, this is gonna cause more fans to ask for Camp and Sullivan to be called back.  Who knows, maybe she IS planning a reunion show before signing off or something like that.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2019 at 08:11
thanks!
very savvy move to get McCarty in for some shows, but also great for the fans, almost all of whom probably like the McCarty led version of Illusion, or would if they heard them
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2019 at 21:55
So here's the fund raiser for the 50th anniversary.  Which will, as per Ken's scoop from last month, feature a guest appearance by McCarty!  

Booked my Skype chat this time.  They brought down the price low enough that I could bite the bullet.  $250 is still a lot but it's less than the amount some acquaintances spent to watch Justin Bieber lipsync at a 'live concert' in a stadium so a 30 min chat with Annie is a no brainer by comparison, especially since I won't get to see them live.  Have twice been to the US and both times just a month too late/too early to catch Renaissance shows.  In 2014, they did shows in April and I was here in May.  Last year, I came over in Sept and they performed shows in Oct. I have different priorities when I plan such trips and can't co-ordinate it with the shows, especially since I depend on my hosts for travel around the US when I am there.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2019 at 15:56
very cool Madan!  It sounds fun, and I will likely go to one of the shows.  Annie is being coy about which one will have Jim McCarty, and it's unclear if the material at that show will be different from the other shows.  They are playing in Boston and nearby NH but those are without orchestra, so I'd rather travel to PA to see them with the orchestra and visit my friend who is a fellow fan and make a weekend out of it.  If I had to guest I would say Glenside PA will be where McCarty appears since that's kind of their home base and where they filmed the live DVD
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2019 at 21:53
I'm definitely going to the show in Albany with the Orchestra.Smile
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2019 at 22:01

very cool Madan!  It sounds fun, and I will likely go to one of the shows.  Annie is being coy about which one will have Jim McCarty, and it's unclear if the material at that show will be different from the other shows.  They are playing in Boston and nearby NH but those are without orchestra, so I'd rather travel to PA to see them with the orchestra and visit my friend who is a fellow fan and make a weekend out of it.  If I had to guest I would say Glenside PA will be where McCarty appears since that's kind of their home base and where they filmed the live DVD

It says here that Jim McCarty is playing. It is too far for me to drive to unfortunately. Cry
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2019 at 08:18
^ ah thanks.  I suspected it would be that show.
It's far for me but I have a fellow fan friend there
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2019 at 09:20

Cool.  In the video accompanying the crowdfunding campaign, Annie mentioned there would be 'new' songs appearing in orchestral versions. As in, not being performed with orchestra last two years.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2019 at 10:34
Madan, super review of Camera Camera today, a joy to read.  I am happy you gave it 3 stars, and I agree it slots in better than Azure D'Or...it's harder to compare it to Symphony of Light since it is trying to be in a new style and SOL was trying to recapture the old, but it is arguable that Camera Camera was better at what it was trying to do.  I think the band deserved a better outcome, and, if that had happened, perhaps they would still be including something from it in the live show.  I think you aren't really a fan of Tyrant Tula or Ukraine Ways but would have liked to read your comment on them.  
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2019 at 19:11

Madan, super review of Camera Camera today, a joy to read.  I am happy you gave it 3 stars, and I agree it slots in better than Azure D'Or...it's harder to compare it to Symphony of Light since it is trying to be in a new style and SOL was trying to recapture the old, but it is arguable that Camera Camera was better at what it was trying to do.  I think the band deserved a better outcome, and, if that had happened, perhaps they would still be including something from it in the live show.  I think you aren't really a fan of Tyrant Tula or Ukraine Ways but would have liked to read your comment on them.  

Thanks, might add a bit about both songs.  Basically, that stately feeling doesn't work so well in the new set up, is what I think. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 38>