Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Renaissance Zone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 38>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 15:06
Don't be afraid of Novella and A Song for all Seasons either.  Both excellent.  ASFAS was incredibly bold, simultaneously embracing the orchestral backing and moving to a more streamlined sound, quite an achievement for 1978.  Ironically, while they were always bigger in US, ASFAS yielded their only hit single, "Northern Lights", which was ONLY a hit in the UK!
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2020 at 17:11
well, Annie did post an update on the high def DVD work though it turns out to be more about how much the current situation is affecting her.

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2020 at 17:22
She does seem worried with all of this crap going on. She still cute though !!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2020 at 21:44
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

She does seem worried with all of this crap going on. She still cute though !!

yes, there seems such a sincerity in it to me.  Such a compassionate soul
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2020 at 22:34
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

well, Annie did post an update on the high def DVD work though it turns out to be more about how much the current situation is affecting her.

Yeah, watching that video compelled me to write to her to tell her not to worry and that there was no pressure in the current situation.  She looks really shaken by it, never seen her look so worried.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2020 at 23:32
I guess she is in Pennsylvania, which is still in a Covid hot-spot.
I can’t help but think of how ‘foxy’ she looked on the Time-Line cover 🤣.
Still, she has a lot of exciting Renaissance work on her plate and the current situation isn't helping her any.
I could still talk to her for hours, only problem is that I’d be staring at her, wide-eyed and with gaping mouth, but completely silent, as I’d be thinking about all the amazing songs she has sung (Ocean Gypsy, Ashes are Burning, Black Flame, Mother Russia.........so many)   I wish her well - as she said “ we’ll get through this “. Bless your heart and soul, Annie Haslam.

Edited by Tom Ozric - May 01 2020 at 23:36
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2020 at 23:53

Still, she has a lot of exciting Renaissance work on her plate and the current situation isn't helping her any.
I could still talk to her for hours, only problem is that I’d be staring at her, wide-eyed and with gaping mouth, but completely silent, as I’d be thinking about all the amazing songs she has sung (Ocean Gypsy, Ashes are Burning, Black Flame, Mother Russia.........so many)   I wish her well - as she said “ we’ll get through this “. Bless your heart and soul, Annie Haslam.

This is actually what happened to me in my Skype chat with her.  I had a long list of questions to ask but then I saw her on the screen and was paralysed by awe. But she knows how to chat up people and eventually our convo lasted an hour.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2020 at 01:20
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

This is actually what happened to me in my Skype chat with her.  I had a long list of questions to ask but then I saw her on the screen and was paralysed by awe. But she knows how to chat up people and eventually our convo lasted an hour.
She’s a gem. What we hear on record from Roy Wood, he seems like a tripper, but he was expanding musical horizons.   This stuff is ‘normal’ to them. As humans., we are all very different, with differing ideals. I LOVE what Annie does, and i love what the band creates

Edited by Tom Ozric - May 02 2020 at 12:13
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 21:41
Not Renaissance, but I was thinking about this song and thought how a Renaissance fan might like it, and might not have heard it.  

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2020 at 03:05
I'm not part of the "Renaissance fan core group" here, but I love them, and hadn't indeed heard of that Carol of Harvest one. Pretty good association in my opinion. I like it a lot, though it's not quite up there with Renaissance classics, the voice a bit thinner (though still good), the instrumentation a bit less balanced and elegant (though good in its own way, some raw power there), the composition a bit less intricate (though still good, and Renaissance wasn't always at a standard clearly higher than this). Thanks for posting!
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2020 at 00:19
Annie appeared on a zoom chat hosted by Sean Tonar discussing Nearfest memories (Ren had appeared there in 2012). She said there that she had intended 2020 to be the year of winding down the band, capping it with a Brazil tour.  Of course, covid threw all that out of the window, which would explain why she's been a little disturbed and upset in the little videos she has been posting on FB.  
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2020 at 00:31
Oh dear, Bless Annie and Co. I just watched my DVD-R of the Renaissance Park West gig from 1983, with a very young Gavin Harrison drumming ! Really great performance, typically into the 80’s ‘requirements’ (appearance, track-list, medley od old material....). It really brought tears to my eyes, of joy that is. They still had it in them. Jon Camp must be as good on bass as Chris Squire. Correct me if I’m wrong.....
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 01:39
I've just gotten into Renaissance recently and I can say I really enjoy the three albums I've heard from them: Scheherazade, Turn Of The Cards, and Prologue. I especially like Scheherezade (which has stronger melodies than the others to my ears) and Prologue (which has lots of crunchy guitar that I love), but Turn is excellent as well. These guys are like a hidden gem of prog! Rarely mentioned outside of prog circles but easily one of the best and oddly most accessible of any of the classic bands.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 01:51
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Not Renaissance, but I was thinking about this song and thought how a Renaissance fan might like it, and might not have heard it.  

I'm a Renaissance fan and I love the Carol of Harvest album. Thumbs Up
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 20:25
Jon Camp's one of my favorite bass players of all time.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 22:10
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

Jon Camp's one of my favorite bass players of all time.
Yes, he’s pretty amazing.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 09:50
I actually think one of the main things that makes "Symphony of Light" not quite up to the 1970s work is the lack of Camp's muscular bass
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 20:59
Interview with Peter Pardo (Sea of Tranquility)

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 03:52
Would love to hear Steve's thoughts on this...

There's this Ren fans group on FB where a sound engineer said Annie used to use a Beyerdynamic mic in the 70s and 80s.  And then she switched to Shure which affects how her voice sounds in the new recordings.  Anything to that theory?  I checked and it does seem like right up to the 80s shows, she was using a Beyerdynamic mic and in the shows after she moved to US in '88, she has been using a Shure SM58 (she sold one mic during the 2017 crowdfunder).
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2020 at 07:53
Roger Dean and Annie Haslam in a chat.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 38>