Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Renaissance Zone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 38>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2016 at 09:03
Awww.   Too bad, here you go then! LOL

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2016 at 09:33
ahhhh.. Approve
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2016 at 09:34
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

pfff.. amateurs..

a Renaissance appreciation thread... 3 pages now.. and not ONE picture of Annies feet.

For shame..

You are talking to a bunch of people (like Ken or Meltdowner) who have seen her in person and hence don't need photographs.  Wink

pfff..  I'm not a name dropper but we've met twice. She knows how I feel about her feet. Trust me LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2016 at 23:07
next time I see her I will have to muster the courage to try to meet her
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2016 at 06:42
Amazing that Renaissance put together their best music video after all their years, with limited resources compared to the days when they were on Warner Bros rolls.  

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2016 at 21:11
^very nice
of course their heyday pre dated the video era, but I wonder if they did any videos for Camera Camera or Timeline?
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 21:30
I was just listening to Ashes are Burning today (Carnegie Hall version), along a few other Renaissance songs and... well, I was wondering what you people think about the studio and the live versions of this song, given the long jamming segments on the live versions, and the absence of the guitar solo at the end... replaced by Annies vocalizations, etc.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 23:39
Mixed views. On the one hand, Annie vocalising in place of the guitar solo works beautifully (less so in Carnegie Hall than say Ashbury Park, NJ 1979). On the other hand, turning one of their most soulful compositions into a showboat fest with extended keyboard and bass solos wasn't such a great idea.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2016 at 00:09
the studio version doesn't hold a candle to the live versions, especially the searing guitar part, just not a fit with the Renaissance sound. Even on ASFAS the electric guitar parts were more "symphonic".  I love the extended keyboard parts, and did love the bass parts in their day.  That's not something that has worn well with time, but there are some really great parts in it where you could almost imagine the same riff on banjo working quite well
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2016 at 01:37
Oh, if we are talking in general then yes a vast majority of their tracks sound better live than in the studio. Notably the Albert Hall performances of Novella tracks. Then on YT there's a Capitol theatre performance of Things I don't understand. Last year in Israel Annie sang Ocean Gypsy better than ever. Carpet of the sun is way better live etc etc.
fudgenuts64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fudgenuts64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2016 at 20:53
Man, I have The Winter Tree playing now and I forgot how much I loved this song. Should have charted better. I mean, it's just a folk pop song but the bass is so good and the chorus is inescapable really. As much as I love the output from 72-79, I feel like had they tried a more commercial approach earlier in the decade they might have made it big. By 1979 though an album like Azure d'Or appealed to very few listeners.

Edited by fudgenuts64 - January 27 2016 at 20:54
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2016 at 21:08
Winter Tree could have still charted had they filled out the sound. Like when Annie sings "I'll go back there" and sustains the last word it kind of sounds flat. Backing vocals and/or more accompaniment would have helped. Even Warner Bros didn't help their production, seemingly.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2016 at 22:29

Winter Tree could have still charted had they filled out the sound. Like when Annie sings "I'll go back there" and sustains the last word it kind of sounds flat. Backing vocals and/or more accompaniment would have helped. Even Warner Bros didn't help their production, seemingly.

I think with the exception of "Jeckyll and Hyde", "Golden Key" and "Kalynda" the whole album sounds flat.  Heck even those songs are only saved by Annie.  I could never get into Winter Tree at all

Edited by kenethlevine - January 27 2016 at 22:29
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2016 at 10:12
Originally posted by fudgenuts64 fudgenuts64 wrote:

Man, I have The Winter Tree playing now and I forgot how much I loved this song. Should have charted better. I mean, it's just a folk pop song but the bass is so good and the chorus is inescapable really. As much as I love the output from 72-79, I feel like had they tried a more commercial approach earlier in the decade they might have made it big. By 1979 though an album like Azure d'Or appealed to very few listeners.
Azure d'Or isn't a complete wash. I can put it on once in a blue moon for a warm, fuzzy listening experience.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 00:05
here is a band I love called Corde Oblique that features a number of excellent female singers.  This track, while not quite sounding like Renaissance, might appeal to fans of that band, plus I wanted to give this thread a bump

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 10:05
Nice music!  As for the vocals, she/they sound accomplished alright but I am personally not fond of the operatic 'ouiiii' syllable.  It always surprised me that in spite of learning singing from an opera instructor, Annie emphasised more of an 'aaaa' syllable which agrees more to my Hindustani moorings, I guess.  A good example is when she sings "Emotion smoulders, starts to burn in hAAArmony" in Touching Once; would have expected a classically trained singer to inflect that ouiii sound there.   I am (still) looping Bent Knee's Shiny Eyed Babies which is as different as it gets from Renaissance.

Edited by rogerthat - February 04 2016 at 10:08
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 14:19

Nice music!  As for the vocals, she/they sound accomplished alright but I am personally not fond of the operatic 'ouiiii' syllable.  It always surprised me that in spite of learning singing from an opera instructor, Annie emphasised more of an 'aaaa' syllable which agrees more to my Hindustani moorings, I guess.  A good example is when she sings "Emotion smoulders, starts to burn in hAAArmony" in Touching Once; would have expected a classically trained singer to inflect that ouiii sound there.   I am (still) looping Bent Knee's Shiny Eyed Babies which is as different as it gets from Renaissance.

hmm that track certainly sounds operatic to me which I usually don't like, but I can't quite get the "aa" vs "ouiiii".  That track is also not very typical for Corde Oblique.  I will see if I think of another that is more typical and post it.  How about posting "Bent Knee" here
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 18:26
There is a way in which operatic sopranos modify the vowel sounds to produce a more open tone.  This sound is the same that you hear on the last sustained ScheherazAAAde.  But Annie uses that sound very sparingly.

Here's a link to the Bent Knee thread:

esa View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2016 at 08:25
Live at the Union Chapel DVD and digital live album are out: 

Stereo soundtrack is LPCM, and also includes the band's first-ever Dolby Digital 5.1 track. Lossless digital audio download (FLAC, ALAC) available from band's website. 

In my biased opinion, the video quality, lighting, and editing are a big step up from the 2011 DVD. Rave Tesar's audio mix is is superb, as always. 
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2016 at 10:07
Oh man, that's a tempting review.  But with the greenback appreciating so much, it's going to cost a bomb what with overseas shipping charges. :(  Let's see, parking this for the time being, maybe couple of months down the line I will bite the bullet.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 38>