Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Renaissance Zone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 38>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2016 at 13:07
I'm supposed to get it in the mail automatically but I was a late addition to the crowdfunding campaign, so I hope there are no glitches.  Sorry rogerthat, but I think the US$ will see leaner times ahead.  It has had a few years in the sun and should now wither a little

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2016 at 10:27
Clap
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2016 at 11:25
Mein gott!

What a voice!
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2016 at 04:53
To my great good luck, my aunt who lives in IL is here in India to attend a family function.  And since she kept asking me what I'd like for a gift, no prizes for guessing what I asked! Wink  Whatever I have watched/heard so far, it's definitely better produced than the Cards/Scheherazade DVD of 2011.  Incredibly, Annie seems to be singing Ocean Gypsy even better on this concert!  Even more delicate phrasing, brava!
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2016 at 06:45
Holy sh*t, I just tried the surround sound setting and it got even better!  In this setting, Annie's voice is so close to what it was like in the 70s recordings.  Well, would that there had been surround sound in the 70s! I have to commend the band on spending the money they collected from fans through the fundraiser well.  I was initially a little skeptical about the need for another DVD other than that it was a Europe tour after so long but they have delivered something 'extra' with this DVD that makes it worth.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2016 at 14:55
now I'm really looking for ward to hearing it when I return home from an extended absence.
The band is now at sea I think, on the Moody Blues cruise, or maybe it's the Yes cruise, I can't keep track!
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2016 at 23:04
*bump*  Did anyone get a chance to listen to the DVD?  Tom Brislin goes on a tear on Ashes Are Burning, evoking (for me) Chick Correa and going well beyond where the reticent Tout stopped.  Believe he was only on the latest instalment of Cruise to the Edge. Very interesting chords played by Tesar on the Ashes..improvs too.  Instrument wise one of the best live versions of Ashes Are Burning.

Edited by rogerthat - March 19 2016 at 23:16
esa View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2016 at 13:01
The DVD can now be purchased from the band's Bandcamp store as well, with digital live album download included
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2016 at 05:21
They did a show at Glasgow last week with Curved Air.  Anybody from PA attended and how was it?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2016 at 01:22
...meanwhile found this on youtube:

Edited by rogerthat - May 08 2016 at 01:23
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2016 at 10:33
what a woman...Heart
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 15:12
pretty pretty pretty pretty....pretty
But why oh why couldn't we get a live video version of ASFAS???  The performance I saw in MA in October was wonderful.  I do love the DVD as did the friend I watched it with.  We had to make an evening out of it.  I also lapped up all the interviews and extras.

ps I will have to try the surround sound!

Edited by kenethlevine - May 17 2016 at 15:12
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 19:16
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

pretty pretty pretty pretty....pretty
But why oh why couldn't we get a live video version of ASFAS???  The performance I saw in MA in October was wonderful.  I do love the DVD as did the friend I watched it with.  We had to make an evening out of it.  I also lapped up all the interviews and extras.

ps I will have to try the surround sound!

Yeah, plus I am sure they would have played SFAS in this concert because it's now in the setlist ever since they reintroduced it what last November.   Yes, do try the surround sound, it beefs up the audio like anything.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2016 at 09:03
Good news for the band's IL fans, they are coming to Chicago.  

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2016 at 10:01
Haven't read this thread and never been a huge fan - I do like all their 70's albums quite a bit though. But clicking those two live clips on this page made me want to see them live. Annie's impressive voice is still there! 

(btw: stay away from whomever calls themselves Pentangle these days. Jacqui McShee has totally lost it. Same can be said about Sonja Kristina, but she never had a fantastic voice and the concert was kind of fun anyway)
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2016 at 10:04
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Haven't read this thread and never been a huge fan - I do like all their 70's albums quite a bit though. But clicking those two live clips on this page made me want to see them live. Annie's impressive voice is still there! 

(btw: stay away from whomever calls themselves Pentangle these days. Jacqui McShee has totally lost it. Same can be said about Sonja Kristina, but she never had a fantastic voice and the concert was kind of fun anyway)

Sorry to hear that, she was a great singer and Annie definitely used to evoke McShee esp early on before she expanded her repertoire.  Yes, her (Annie's) longevity is just amazing, isn't it?  I commented on it elsewhere, that she's winning over people just by still being there and being able to still perform at a high level on stage.  
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2016 at 18:20
they are also playing in Bethlehem, PA Nov 9!  Since I have a friend there whom I often visit, I will probably go.  It's about 5 hours from Boston
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2016 at 10:06
Not Renaissance but Ren fans might enjoy...Annie Haslam singing for Caravan.

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2016 at 04:30
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Sorry to hear that, she was a great singer and Annie definitely used to evoke McShee esp early on before she expanded her repertoire.  Yes, her (Annie's) longevity is just amazing, isn't it?  I commented on it elsewhere, that she's winning over people just by still being there and being able to still perform at a high level on stage.  

Had the chance today to listen to some live clips from recent years of both Pentangle and Steeleye Span and both McShee and Maddy Prior barely reach for the high notes (and these aren't really high notes like the ones Annie hits, just high w.r.t the particular song).  What's amazing is Annie pushed her voice to the limit in the 70s - unlike them - and still has it intact after all these years.  
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2016 at 05:57
Great news for Renee songs fans.  Repertoire Records is going to release the Sight & Sound concert of 1977 in DVD plus ACD as well as two other live concerts that were broadcast on BBC radio in 75 and 76 and three songs they ostensibly performed live-in-the-studio in 78.

While I do not see the Sight & Sound video as the holy grail of Ren fans that it is made out to be, I certainly wouldn't mind having it in my collection now that I have an official way of owning it.  It's a great package, hope the price is great too. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 38>