Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Renaissance Zone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 38>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2016 at 13:23
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Speaking of `Tuscany', what is everyone's opinion on it? I just noticed it on my CD shelf earlier tonight and realised I haven't played it in years (probably since it came out)...I'm sure it was a very respectable album from them?
Tuscany, to me, seems like a natural follow up to Azure D'or. If Azure D'or is your cup of tea, then take a big gulp.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2016 at 17:55
As per their FB page, Ren's show at Bethlehem has been filmed, so a new DVD could be expected and hopefully this one has both Song for All Seasons and Closer than Yesterday. 
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2016 at 18:12
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

As per their FB page, Ren's show at Bethlehem has been filmed, so a new DVD could be expected and hopefully this one has both Song for All Seasons and Closer than Yesterday. 
wow fantastic!
The Son of Gorp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Son of Gorp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2016 at 20:54
Just got back from a Renaissance concert. Annie's voice is still absolutely top notch, I don't know how she does it. Some pretty solid music played all around. She forgot the first line of Mother Russia, which gave her and the crowd a good laugh LOL It ended with a great rendition of Ashes are Burning, had some great solos in there. 

Apparently, Annie's a painter! I was never aware of that. Some of her works were on display, and I thought they were pretty good. I hadn't really listened to the new album, but I might have to now, as the new songs sounded good live. 

Overall, good stuff.
When Da Zeuhl Wortz Mekanik, you just know.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2016 at 22:04
Annie has taken good care of her voice. Doesn't do too many shows. There was a time when she did but the 80s imposed an involuntary hiatus and since then she has done fewer shows anyway.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2016 at 00:39
Update about the Bethlehem show. The recording was not done by the band but by the venue for live projection on the screen. But they MAY release depending on the quality of the footage.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2016 at 07:25

Update about the Bethlehem show. The recording was not done by the band but by the venue for live projection on the screen. But they MAY release depending on the quality of the footage.

Ah I see, thanks!  Let's hope so
fudgenuts64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fudgenuts64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2016 at 05:17
I have been slowly coming back to Renaissance after a long absence of listening to other bands. I forgot how much I love Camp's bass. People have tried but failed to win me over, I still think he's my all time favorite player. No other band has so many melodic bass lines and even on the 80s albums, listen to Faeries (at the bottom of the garden) and tell me that bass isn't infectious.

Edited by fudgenuts64 - November 27 2016 at 05:17
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2016 at 20:20
Originally posted by fudgenuts64 fudgenuts64 wrote:

I have been slowly coming back to Renaissance after a long absence of listening to other bands. I forgot how much I love Camp's bass. People have tried but failed to win me over, I still think he's my all time favorite player. No other band has so many melodic bass lines and even on the 80s albums, listen to Faeries (at the bottom of the garden) and tell me that bass isn't infectious.

I understand he is very influenced by Chris Squire, but Renaissance moves me much more than Yes, and he works very well with their material.  Bass isn't my favorite instrument, but I can't think of another band where I enjoy the bass as much as I do with Renaissance.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2016 at 20:45
The one thing I don't really like about Camp's approach is it is not harmonically very adventurous at all.  Especially with the lack of overpowering electric guitar, there was plenty of scope for independent, contrapuntal bass and he seemed to largely fight shy of it (Trip to the fair is one exception).  Literally, other than Trip to the fair and maybe Things I don't understand, there isn't one track of Ren MK-II where Tout or Camp try a few things harmonically and that's very strange in a prog rock band.  To contrast this with Squire, see South Side of Sky where he is playing beautiful independent basslines as Anderson & Co vocalise.  In a way, Camp is the bass version of a Satriani or Gilbert, technically amazing for sure but not very interesting (like say a McLaughlin or Holdsworth). Of course, it's possible Michael Dunford wanted it that way but there's no evidence from the later Camp dominated albums to that effect and when Rave Tesar and Jason Hart decided to express themselves in live performances of Trip to the fair, Dunford didn't stop them.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2016 at 04:17
^I think that Camp is completely underrated due his admittedly heavy influence by Squire. But Camp was ten times more melodic and always added to the music without overpowering it. Not an easy thing for "lead bass" player in a prog band.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2016 at 04:26
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^I think that Camp is completely underrated due his admittedly heavy influence by Squire. But Camp was ten times more melodic and always added to the music without overpowering it. Not an easy thing for "lead bass" player in a prog band.

Which is all the more reason I struggle to understand why he didn't do contrapuntal basslines more because it's harder to play lead bass viz Black Flame. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2016 at 04:29
^Perhaps it wasn't to his taste and he felt like that type of playing didn't serve the songs. Just a guess.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2016 at 04:34

^Perhaps it wasn't to his taste and he felt like that type of playing didn't serve the songs. Just a guess.

Or that he didn't have the imagination because coming up with adventurous chords is more about composition than technical chops.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2016 at 04:58
Another reason I can think of - as I listen to Can You Hear Me - is that because Renaissance had to perform their tracks without an orchestra on most of their shows, maybe Camp elected to play melodies rather than counter-melodies because they would need to beef up their sound live and his bass playing sort of filled in for say the cello's parts.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2016 at 07:22

Or that he didn't have the imagination because coming up with adventurous chords is more about composition than technical chops.
Yes, he wasn't thinking outside of the box. However, I said he was impressively melodic.
 I never said that he was a genius. Wink 

Edited by SteveG - November 28 2016 at 07:24
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2016 at 07:52

Yes, he wasn't thinking outside of the box. However, I said he was impressively melodic.
 I never said that he was a genius. Wink 

That has kind of been the (minor) problem for this band, as much as I like them.  It's also why I prefer their live compilations for the most part.  They did (and do) very well in bringing the songs to life in concert. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2016 at 08:02
interesting discussion.  I think that to some extent Renaissance is Renaissance because they weren't especially outside the box, which made them more accessible to certain fans like myself who don't have a strong musical background but can nonetheless feel comfortable with the artiness of their sound and their emphasis on grandeur and melody.  Yet they were very unique.  They found their groove and pretty much stayed with it at least through "Song for All Seasons", even if that album did show a definite progression in its boldness
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2016 at 08:26
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

interesting discussion.  I think that to some extent Renaissance is Renaissance because they weren't especially outside the box, which made them more accessible to certain fans like myself who don't have a strong musical background but can nonetheless feel comfortable with the artiness of their sound and their emphasis on grandeur and melody.  Yet they were very unique.  They found their groove and pretty much stayed with it at least through "Song for All Seasons", even if that album did show a definite progression in its boldness

Well, compared to say a Symphony X of today (or even Camel back in the day), Renaissance did change from album to album.  Prologue was anyway a mishmash and the band hadn't quite found their niche.  Ashes leaned strongly towards folk and at this point there was only limited use of orchestra.  It was with Turn of the Cards that the quintessential Ren sound was established.  Even so, there are differences between Cards/Sch/Novella. Cards had more of a rock sound to the extent that Renaissance ever resembled rock music, I mean rock with growling electric guitars and all.  Scheherazade was more pop (a friend who never ever got into them compared Vultures Fly High to ABBA!).  Novella brought back guitar (not electric) in a big way to their sound.  SFAS differs from all of these in no small part due to the arrangements of Louis Clark which were more bombastic and dynamic with lots of changes and doing away to some extent with their earlier slow and stately character. 

I don't think even Genesis changed a whole lot more from Trespass through to Wind and Wuthering than Ren from Prologue to SFAS.  It's harder for a band with a strong melodic character in their sound to change without losing too many of their fans. Yes did manage it but not many other of the melodic bands did.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2016 at 08:49
^ you're right.  I was meaning they didn't go from being simple to complex, so that you suddenly heard Camp doing different melodies with the bass.  They did make a lot of changes within the melodic framework.  I don't agree that Sceherazade was poppier - even Vultures Fly High seems more straight on rock than pop.  In any case it's very refreshing much as Northern Lights was on ASFAS.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 38>