Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProgressive pop/art-pop

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Progressive pop/art-pop
    Posted: December 25 2015 at 11:55
Probably should've been in Prog-Related, but whatever...

Ok, gimme some good Progressive Pop/Art-Pop. Not poppy Prog, please - no Saga, ELO, 80s Yes or 80s Genesis etc. I look for Pop Music with hooks and great melodies, but with an experimental edge to it (tricky signatures, challenging arrangements, non-standard song structures, etc.), but not the mainstream experimental stuff like Bjork, Death Grips or Animal Collective.

Good examples:

Joanna Newsom "Ys"
Ought "Sun Coming Down"
Grizzly Bear "Shields"
Owen Pallett "In Conflict"
Julia Holter "Have You In My Wilderness"
Jim O'Rourke "Simple Songs"
FKА twigs "LP1"
Jonathan Wilson "Fanfare"
Kiev "Falling Bough Wisdom Teeth"
The Reign of Kindo "Play with Fire"
Wolf People "Fain"
Everything Everything
The Blue Nile
Japan
Talk Talk (of course!)
Cardiacs (but a bit TOO weird)
Radiohead (even though I can't stand'em)

Bad examples:

all 70s Prog bands that gone Pop in the 80s;
technical stuff that's not Prog but screams complexity (djent, mathrock, etc);
all those whiny Alt-Rock bands Кscope marketing as "New Prog";
Muse
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2015 at 12:50
Not sure what you mean by proggy pop, but XTC is my favorite arty proggy pop band of all time.
I would also recommend Sanguine Hum,,they have 3 albums now....perhaps more prog related or neo yet there is arty proggy pop going there also.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
fudgenuts64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2015 at 13:55
John Foxx era Ultravox. Even the later stuff definitely qualifies to a point. Also check out 10cc.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2015 at 14:15
don't forget about avant pop-prog man Thumbs Up MoeTar rules
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2015 at 14:20
I don't know if I'd classify some of those as art pop. Maybe because there are genres/traditions that seem a bit more obvious labels. I'll go artist by artist (for the ones I know) and recommend some you might like. Probably going to recommend some "mainstream experimental stuff," just in case you've missed some.

Joanna Newsom "Ys": The singer from Icelandic band Mům has a similar singing style. They also use harp sometimes. Efterklang's Parades might be another comparison? I haven't listened to too much Joanna Newsom tbh.

Ought "Sun Coming Down": Dead ringer for post-punk. Seems to draw from Television, Wire, The Fall, Mission of Burma, Gang of Four, Pavement, and Sonic Youth. 

Grizzly Bear "Shields": Daniel Rossen has another similar project called Department of Eagles. Panda Bear's Person Pitch has similarly reverb-y production (though more extreme) and Beach Boys-ish harmonies. If you want something like Grizzly Bear's early work that's really really depressing, you could try Giles Corey's s/t album. But, as I said, it's pretty dark. Fleet Foxes is a rather obvious suggestion.

Owen Pallett "In Conflict": Andrew Bird, obviously.

Julia Holter "Have You In My Wilderness": Similar in some ways to some of the echo-y female sirens like Grouper, Sea Oleena, and Juliana Barwick. Obviously with some Talk Talk and David Sylvian influence.

Jim O'Rourke "Simple Songs" (haven't listened to this album yet)

FKА twigs "LP1": Try Tujiko Noriko (particularly Solo) and Hundred Waters' The Moon Rang Like A Bell. Glitch-y, low-key, atmospheric electronics. Thundercat's Apocalypse maybe.

Jonathan Wilson "Fanfare" (don't know)

Kiev "Falling Bough Wisdom Teeth" (don't know)

The Reign of Kindo "Play with Fire" (Don't really like Reign of Kindo tbh. I've heard some stuff that reminded me of them, but I didn't like it or hate it enough to remember it)

Wolf People "Fain" (don't know)

Everything Everything: I would suggest Japan and early Talk Talk, but you already have them here. They remind me just a bit of some of the more complex J- and K- pop. Fhana and Etsuko Yakushimaru come to mind. I might think of more later. Bloc Party and Vampire Weekend also come to mind (though you probably know them)

The Blue Nile (don't know) 

Japan: First off, David Sylvian's solo material. It's not really that similar and some of his most recent stuff is pretty avant-garde. But I would recommend Secrets of the Beehive in a heartbeat for this. He's also made some pretty great ambient stuff with Holger Czukay. Also worth mentioning is Jun Togawa's great, bizarre new wave album Tamahime-sama. (And she has an even more bizarre electronic cabaret project called Guernica).

Talk Talk (of course!): Check out Mark Hollis' s/t album. Sigur Ros is also quite Talk Talk-ish at points.

Cardiacs (but a bit TOO weird): Can't think of anything like Cardiacs tbh. Some of the organ tones on Game Theory's Lolita Nation draw them to mind a little bit, though, and that's an album worth checking out. Ariel Pink's sometimes complex pop tomfoolery also comes to mind.

Radiohead (even though I can't stand'em): My favorite band actually. I actually can't think of a lot of bands like them that I like, though. Shiina Ringo's Shoso Strip reminds me of OK Computer a little, I guess, for how sonically dense it is. A weird thing about that album is how it seems to draw from both Merzbow and Britney Spears. You read that correctly. You have (well-written) radio pop songs just drenched in noise, ambience and chaos. It's quite effective actually. Majical Cloudz seems to have the minimalist electronics of Kid A, though they aren't nearly as adventurous.

Some more bands/artists you might like:
Unwound
Chavez
Polvo
Deerhoof
Viet Cong
Protomartyr
After Dinner
Blonde Redhead
UA

I could really go on and on with the very inclusive definition you've given. Don't be surprise if you get drowned in recommendations.

Edited by Polymorphia - December 25 2015 at 14:20
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2015 at 14:23
Two great albums released in 2015, with Bandcamp links for your listening pleasure:

Orion Rigel Dommisse - Omicron http://orionrigeldommisse.bandcamp.com/
William D. Drake (ex Cardiacs) - Revere Reach http://williamddrake.bandcamp.com/album/revere-reach-2
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2015 at 15:43
70's ELO? I think it fits the description. Some stuff of Supertramp or Alan Parsons maybe, or early Bee Gees.
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2015 at 17:02
I can suggest Kajagoogoo they are mostly cheesy 80's synth-pop (claptrap to most folks) - . But try songs like Freyo, Introduction, Take Another View, The Garden and Melting The Ice Away. All have an artsy twist you may go for.
Blinkyjoh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2015 at 18:14
Would the last couple riverside albums, united program fraternity's fall in love with the world, and The Windmill continued, continuation albums qualify? They all seem prpg poppy to me, but I struggle with classifications.

I wonder if arena"s Unquiet Sky would be ok as well, but read the short story Casting the Runes first.

I'm thinking sound of contact as well but that might be pushing it, as it is genesisy.

These are albums I've discovered the last full year myself.

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2015 at 19:28
Roxy Music, Supertramp, 10cc, Sparks, Queen, Nik Kershaw,Tears for Fears, the Zombies, ELO, Jukebox the Hero, It Bites.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2015 at 19:30
Smashing Pumpkiks, Wilco, At the Drive in
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2015 at 19:51
^ Pumpkiks
Perhaps some of the longer cuts by The Cure.

Edited by Tom Ozric - December 25 2015 at 19:52
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2015 at 00:16
Silversun Pickups might be a good fit.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2015 at 00:18
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Not sure what you mean by proggy pop, but XTC is my favorite arty proggy pop band of all time.
Heard about them only good, gotta check, thank you!
Originally posted by fudgenuts64 fudgenuts64 wrote:

John Foxx era Ultravox. Even the later stuff definitely qualifies to a point. Also check out 10cc.
Heard about them only good, gotta check, thank you![2]
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

I don't know if I'd classify some of those as art pop.
I won't either, I just said those are the good examples of what I'm looking for And I presume this is something to be called Art Pop at some point...Amazing taste, btw, I've chosen quite a few artists/releases I'm yet to check out from your list, thanks a lot! Others you've mentioned either long-time faves of mine or something I don't really want to get back too)
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Department of Eagles
Andrew Bird
Tujiko Noriko (particularly Solo) and Hundred Waters' The Moon Rang Like A Bell
Shiina Ringo's Shoso Strip
Chavez
Polvo
Protomartyr
After Dinner
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2015 at 00:24
micky, Raff - streaming those now, thanks!
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I can suggest Kajagoogoo
Never heard about them, thank you! And The Cure is among my Top-10 bands ever, but that's a good reference point - brooding post-punky stuff with long tracks is something I might also categorize as Art Pop)
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Sparks, Nik Kershaw, Tears for Fears, Jukebox the Hero, Smashing Pumpkins, Wilco
Gotta check these, thank you!
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Silversun Pickups might be a good fit.
dunno them, thanks!

You guys are the best!
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2015 at 00:44
I can suggest Ambrosia, their first album is their progiest and also the best, other good albums are somewhere i've never travelled and Rock Island.
Also check Transister from 79' the album called Zig Zag, it's an excellent example of poppy like tunes but very clever and progy enough, it's quite rare actually.

I must have more...
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2015 at 00:45
My appreciation for Kajagoogoo has only been enhanced by the fact that their braided-haired bassist is a bona-fide Prog-head well even before he formed this 80's band.   He is now Steven Wilson and Steve Hackett's touring/recording bassist. As well as umpteen 80's acts preferred choice of basssist. But part of me always dug Kaja, and even though they are mostly laughable, I love their work, and find some Proggy ideas in what they've done.   Nothing wrong with mainstream/new-wave acts, as long as their musicianship takes the (at the time, current) trend a little bit further. I get it, Kajagoogoo name-dropped on a Prog forum is preposterous - though, I love their songs, love what they do, and I am prepared to wear it for ever.......... I just hope some other folks can hear what I hear in their offering of music............
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2015 at 00:52
The "all 70s Prog bands that gone Pop in the 80s" as bad examples kinda throws a wrench in, but Split Enz debut was great -

Split mental.gif

and Ariel were damn good -

Ariel A Strange Fantastic Dream album cover

Edited by Atavachron - December 26 2015 at 00:53
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2015 at 01:14
^ Flick - DAVID - You dig the Enz .....?   I've loved them since my pre-teen years. Their early albums are 110% Prog.   True development between Prog artistry and Pop-song writing with creative and colourful arrangements. These guys are dear to my heart..........
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2015 at 01:17
of course I like the Enz, artrock at its best -

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>