Topic ClosedGreat Prog albums that weren't released on CD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Great Prog albums that weren't released on CD
    Posted: December 25 2015 at 18:36
I recently got into vinyl and immediately wanted to get some recommendations for great albums that were released on vinyl but never on CD or are difficult to find on CD. I tried searching on the forum but didn't manage to find any similar topics (most probably because I'm terrible at forum searching).

Some examples that I can think of are:

1. Rick Wakeman - No Earthly Connection
2. Barclay James Harvest - Live (1974)
3. Grobschnitt - Solar Music Live

Feel free to add other suggestions!

Edited by Rune2000 - December 25 2015 at 18:38
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2015 at 19:00
I own a copy of the first on CD. It was released at least twice; the first time in Japan only I believe. I don't know for sure but I think the other two have been on CD at some point.
Magma America Great Make Again
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2015 at 19:11
Im listening to one right now - ELEPHANT9 - Live at the BBC.
The Finnish band KURKI has their only album as vinyl.
ORESUND SPACE COLLECTIVE - Live at Roadburn 2010
As for 'classic' 70's Prog, I don't know. I think even the STARS AND STIPS vinyl I have has a CD release ??
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2015 at 20:03
Does Prog-related count?
  If so, I would heartily recommend:

Helmut Koellen-You Won't See Me (the posthumously released solo album by former Triumvirat Lead Singer/Guitarist)

It is very, very hard to find on CD.

If you like fusion, there is the obscure:

Contraband-Time and Space (from 1971)
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2015 at 20:10
Originally posted by Rune2000 Rune2000 wrote:

I recently got into vinyl and immediately wanted to get some recommendations for great albums that were released on vinyl but never on CD or are difficult to find on CD. I tried searching on the forum but didn't manage to find any similar topics (most probably because I'm terrible at forum searching).

I bought a Japanese No Earthly Connection CD for 80 bucks and a few months later Rick released a UK version for 15 pounds after the rights of A&M expired

Now you can find this one new very cheap

No Earthly Connection

Feb 12, 2013 | Original recording remastered
$13.99Prime
Get it by Wednesday, Dec 30
More Buying Choices

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - December 25 2015 at 20:11

tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2015 at 21:43
Alpha-Ralpha- st  and Mandragore- A Revivre le futur are both fabulous recordings. Impossible to find on CD. 

I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2015 at 00:05
Blood, Sweat and Tears' soundtrack to The Owl and the Pussycat from '71; spectacular brass-rock fusion, only ever released on LP and rare -

Blood Sweat And Tears The Owl And the Pussy Cat.jpg

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
fudgenuts64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2015 at 05:22
I'd have a few to put out, but it seems nearly everything has some sort of CD release nowadays. I'll go with the obscure 1978 Carol of Harvest, which does have a CD release but I believe the vinyl is very hard to come by. Band to my knowledge were teenagers, lead singer being only 16 years old - excellent folk record.
fudgenuts64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2015 at 05:30
Oh sh*t, looks like I found one that actually is quite hard to find either on CD but less so vinyl but is absolutely fantastic prog electronic. Tim Blake Crystal Machine seems to have only gotten a CD release from Blake himself though I can't be sure of this. Amazon has the cheapest copy of it used for $48 and eBay didn't turn up any CD copies - only vinyl. 

Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2015 at 05:45
The only album I've ever wanted to get on CD which I couldn't get was On the Line by New Celeste, a brilliant folk rock band. I paid an absolute fortune for a pristine vinyl copy, but wanted a CD for car use. My TVR doesn't have a turntable in it, unfortunately, so I have to use CDs there.

I'm amazed BJH Live isn't available on CD - it's one of the great live albums and was quite a big seller in its day.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2015 at 07:52
^ BJH live was released on cd. I have a version On eclectic records. It has a nice card insert signed by all the band with the exception of Mel Pritchard who had sadly passed away by then.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2015 at 09:52

Alexander, I can confirm this DID have a CD release, because I owned it, and was also stupid enough to get rid of it!

At the time I got it, I was just getting into prog (some twenty-odd years ago), so I wasn't used to the more strange or `out-there' kind of bands like Grobschnitt. Upon hearing it (and the vocals in the early parts of the album), I thought `This is crap!', and I took it to a second-hand shop and got...maybe $3 dollars for it??

Nowadays....I would KILL to have it back!
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2015 at 09:55
No earthly Connection was released on A&M in 2012 on CD

Live 1974 was released about 5 times on CD (latest on Esoteric Records)

Solar Music was released this Year as a 2CD!

All of them easy to find and rather cheap!

Edited by TheH - December 26 2015 at 09:57
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2015 at 10:03
Originally posted by fudgenuts64 fudgenuts64 wrote:

I'd have a few to put out, but it seems nearly everything has some sort of CD release nowadays. I'll go with the obscure 1978 Carol of Harvest, which does have a CD release but I believe the vinyl is very hard to come by. Band to my knowledge were teenagers, lead singer being only 16 years old - excellent folk record.

The LP was reissued several times and isn't hard to find or expansive (of course the original is both)
The legit CD is harder to find and expansive.

There is a current CD from Prog Temple but that's a pirate lable.

TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2015 at 10:06
A great Blog on unreleased Prog (and similar)

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2015 at 14:01
(weird ... edit made a duplicate?)

Edited by moshkito - December 26 2015 at 14:06
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2015 at 14:05

Been heck getting Grobschnitt's album. BJH's  is available and Rick, I'm not really interested in. The Tim Blake stuff I'm not sure about. I'm betting he doesn't own much of it. or something similar. That's a pretty darn good album, though calling it progressive is pushing it.

(A couple of extra details here ... CD or otherwise is the same nowadays)

If I go through the rest of my collection, I will easily add 24 albums here.

Most wanted right now ... things like M. Frogg (Jean Yves Labat) and his first album. A fabulously fun album .... but not sure everyone wants to hear Sodd Rungoon scream out FU through various effects and such. Still fun album!

Lothar Meid - 18 karat Gold - All bums --  Excellent album of fun songs and stuff ... needs to get out, but probably won't now.

Daevid Allen's History of Gong and stuff, is locked up and for some reason not being distributed, and not available and of all the stuff he has, these are probably the things that are most interesting ... as his views and work was as important, if not more so, than a lot of his own musical work. Too much still buried and no one knows what to do with it, or what to think of it at all!

Grateful Dead's long jams, were massive in the early psychedelic days, and none are on record. It was one of the great things of their bootlegs. These were massive inspirations for European stuff, and I think they might have had more influence on Pink Floyd than otherwise. But the history of American Record Companies, never believed in music ... just songs and hits, and killed the long jams which became a famous part and experience of the Grateful Dead shows. I have never heard, in 45 years, a single complaint about those jams! (Except in this board, of course!)

Edgar Froese's book. Got delayed by his untimely passing, but in essence, it is a document that is very needed and we know that there were a lot of intelligent comments and ideas on various interviews and shows that he said, and no one has ever tried to put those all together. Probably one of the most incisive and intelligent sense of timing and history of anyone in music, that I have ever heard. His comments on the Krautrock special are a perfect example ... sociological, philosophical and personal ... all in one. Superb comments, that everyone, including many of the folks here, have totally ignored about the discovery of "progressive" or the horribly named "krautrock". I just hope the term last 1000 years past progressive, because it is "incluside and detailed' as opposed to the term "progressive" that does not even fit the very idea and mold they are trying to describe. Close, but no cigar!

Peter Hammill. His music these days is not as vital and alive as it used to be. No excuse there, and it's OK as one is not, obviously, as energetic as one once was at 25, or 35 or 45, but it tells you that if anyone has a massive history to tell us, and stories, this man would be one of them. From personal to artistic, to expression and to how the songs came about ... how does one come up with a St Bernina, or a house is not a home, kind of thing, or create a Gog and Magog? This would make for a fascinating read and introduction into the "progressive" thoughts that help create music.

More than likely, it won't be books these days, but CD's anyway!!! For all of these!

And finally ... a slight history of Progressive Music in the West Coast, with the likes of Archie Patterson, Guy Guden, what's his name from LA on Roger's albums and the like ... these folks know too much, and have seen too much, and they are being shut out by a bunch of ninnies and top of the pop bubblegummer fans of progressive music, and they are going to lose the very history of the music because of it. And they were not the only ones ... and putting this together won't be easy, but it will have a massive influence on what we think is the development and history of the music!

Edited by moshkito - December 29 2015 at 10:41
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2015 at 20:18
Sicher - Sicher (1981) great stuff from Switzerland

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2015 at 22:40
Tough one Rune.....I would guess all original vinyl issues were reissued on CD. What is harder is finding some of these original issues on vinyl, in good condition at least playable where it will not cause harm to your stylus. You can check Discogs to find if something has been reissued.

Come post on the Vinyl thread what you find...We would be very interested in your finds. Thumbs Up
Rune2000 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2015 at 18:17
Thank you everyone for the comments and suggestions!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>