Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMotoi Sakuraba

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Motoi Sakuraba
    Posted: August 23 2005 at 15:35
I am a huge fan of the "Golden Sun" Gameboy games, and was very impressed with the music for the game, which is beautifully composed, with audible drums, bass etc, instead of just electronic sounds, despite the GBA's less-than-state-of-the-art speakers. I looked it up, adn the genius behind my favorite video game music is Motoi Sakuraba, a Japenese Prog musician who, in addition to his work on such video games as the aforementionned Golden Sun series, the Star Ocean series, many Mario games, the Shining Force series, and many, many more, has several abums to his credit.

I haven't been able to hear/get any of the albums, so I was wondering if anyone else has heard or at least heard of Motoi Sakuraba. Maybe if he is deemed "prog", as his website says he is, he could even be added to the archives some day

by the way, you can hear a fan's replication of his work on the Golden Sun games here

http://www.planetnintendo.com/goldensun/media/soundtrack/

Motoi's site is here

http://www.cocoebiz.com/sakuraba/

hyperlinks won't work for me for some reason, so you'll have to copy and paste the URL

Edited by el_Sethro
Who you gonna call?
frontier View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2005 at 19:29
Hi!
Firstly, I'd like to say hi to everyone, as I'm new to the board.

Sakuraba is my one of my all time favorite composers and his work has been immensly inspiring to me as a musician. I first learned about him through his game music, more exactly the Shining the Holy Ark soundtrack, which features awesome prog rock, japanese RPG style.
I have all of his albums now, even the Deja vu album Baroque in the future, and he is definetly a prog rocker in all senses of the word. His live playing on the DVD "Star Ocean and Valkyrie Profile" is awesome, where he stands inside his fortress of 10 synthesizers including amongst others a Minimoog and a Prophet 5. He plays both melody and comping at the same time, and when he starts to do a duett organ/prophet 5 sync solo with _himself_ is jaw dropping.
If anyone would like to hear some of his songs, PM me.

Edited by frontier
 Post Reply Post Reply