Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMagma USA Tour 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2016 at 15:33
Hi,

Have not yet bought tickets ... but I am planning on being there for the show here in Portland.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
hieronymous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2016 at 20:43
So how are you people going in to these shows? Do you like to know what they will be playing beforehand? I prefer to know the songs somewhat, but I also like to be surprised. When I saw them in San Francisco last year (http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=102008) they had pretty much just put out Šlağ Tanz, and played it. Glad that I had been listening to it - I think it would be a lot to take in as a new piece of music.

When my friend invites me to go to the symphony, you always know what piece they are going to perform. I grew up listening to classical music somewhat - both my parents were into it and they would take me to the symphony - I saw the Boston Pops as a kid in the '70s, not sure if Arthur Fiedler was conducting, but pretty sure they played the Star Wars theme! Now a former co-worker invites me to the San Francisco Symphony when he has spare tickets - I've seen some really nice stuff, for example, the Enigma Variations by Elgar - never listened to it before, so I felt I had to listen and even study a bit before attending the concert. Magma strikes me as a group in this mold.

I guess it is kind of a question of, "How do you listen to music?" Magma seems to be a good band to be serious about listening to!
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2016 at 05:45
It wouldn't surprise me if the MAGMA set is very close to what they did last year.  This almost always includes their two most well known early works.  But who can say for sure at this junction?

In Los Angeles, one week after the Downtown show, FAUST blows into town.  And that, the night before DAVID GILMOUR does his 3 nights, 2 at the Hollywood Bowl and 1 at the Forum.

The Guides of March are here Smile
The Neck Romancer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2016 at 17:25
Theusz Hamtaahk is on the setlist for this tour.
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2016 at 08:10
^   ^   ^
Thank you for the information.  That will be quite something to hear and see.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2016 at 04:47
Looking forward to hearing all about the concerts. Hopefully a recording or so might emerge...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2016 at 20:02
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2016 at 00:54
Originally posted by The Neck Romancer The Neck Romancer wrote:

Thanks for the heads-up - listened to the version from this album to get ready:

Although I wouldn't recommend this period to someone unfamiliar with Magma, it was definitely an enjoyable listen. Very synth heavy, with several classic Magma members - Klaus Blasquiz & Bernard Paganotti being the standouts for me. Anyway, looking forward to hearing Philippe Bussonnet perform it!
The Neck Romancer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2016 at 01:53
Originally posted by hieronymous hieronymous wrote:

Originally posted by The Neck Romancer The Neck Romancer wrote:

Thanks for the heads-up - listened to the version from this album to get ready:

Although I wouldn't recommend this period to someone unfamiliar with Magma, it was definitely an enjoyable listen. Very synth heavy, with several classic Magma members - Klaus Blasquiz & Bernard Paganotti being the standouts for me. Anyway, looking forward to hearing Philippe Bussonnet perform it!

You're welcome!

Would you be too kind to film the marching death metal section right before Stella's solo? I'm really really excited to see this new lineup doing that live.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2016 at 12:00

They are coming to Atlanta on the 29th and it's $3.99 to get in. Unfortunately it's on a weeknight and the doors don't open until 9 and there are two opening acts and limited seating.   I put in an RSVP but I don't know if I'll be able to do it.

Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2016 at 23:34
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

They are coming to Atlanta on the 29th and it's $3.99 to get in. Unfortunately it's on a weeknight and the doors don't open until 9 and there are two opening acts and limited seating.   I put in an RSVP but I don't know if I'll be able to do it.

Gah. I have recently moved to Florida, and I would absolutely go to Atlanta to see Magma, was one of the best shows I've ever seen. Sadly that's a bit soon and my $ is tight to make a trip like thatCry
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2016 at 23:57
San Francisco show is about to start! The bass guitar is being tuned as I type!
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2016 at 03:43
Los Angeles show at The Regent was outstanding!  Seats in the front row, with dear wife and old friends was like having them perform in our oversized front room.  A very appreciative audience brought satisfaction to the ensemble and an added encore to trio selection set.  A magickal evening and Three's A Charm performance for this cat who played them on the air in 1974.  Hope you caught or will catch these amazing performers. 

Edited by Guy Guden - March 20 2016 at 04:57
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2016 at 11:16
Saw my first Magma show ever last night in San Francisco. All I can say is that I saw god.
propinquity View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2016 at 22:38
Magma was magnificent (as always) in San Francisco last evening.

I wonder how many in attendance were professional musicians.  Hedersleben, and quite a few other Prog musicians we know from the Bay Area were there. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDH9Ly6J7Sj/?fb_action_ids=10209009767469887&fb_action_types=instapp%3Atake&fb_ref=ogexp&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=[1166806969998067]&action_type_map=[%22instapp%3Atake%22]&action_ref_map=[%22ogexp%22]
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2016 at 14:11
Buddy of mine was not able to make his flight so I have an extra ticket for tonight in Seattle. Not sure if it is a sellout, but I will give special PA member discount ( $20)
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2016 at 14:22
^ i wish i could drive up and see them again! Vander is an impressive playing machine for 68 years. didn't realize he has such accomplished vocal skills. i dragged a friend who had never even heard them before and he loved them. i would imagine the venue was filled with prog musicians.

also vander's long time friend laurent goldstein is making a documentary about the music of magma called TO LIFE, DEATH, AND BEYOND. so DO check out this website that tells all about it. my other friend who did know them and i were lucky enough to be interviewed telling about how we discovered the band and why we like them so much. way cool stuff! 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2016 at 22:40
So should reviews of shows on this tour go here or each get its own thread in reviews? I'm still going through my admittedly crappy iPhone pics from the SF show. These days, you can find great pics right away on Instagram, etc., so maybe it's not as meaningful to others, though of course mine are to me. 

I was pretty excited about the show and it did not disappoint. I listened to three different live versions of Theusz Hamtaahk to get ready - here I am with one of them and my MAGMA necktie:

Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2016 at 04:55
^  ^  ^
very cool!  Cool
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2016 at 13:12
Bad news - according to the Magma Facebook page, they had to cancel the Cleveland show:

Stuck in Denver due to the winter storm. No way we can get to Cleveland today. Concert is unfortunately cancelled.
Bloqués à Denver à cause d'une tempête de neige. Impossible de partir pour Cleveland. Concert de ce soir malheureusement annulé.

Bummer, but glad they are safe!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>