Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMad Artwork (Sweden) - heavy prog candidate?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mad Artwork (Sweden) - heavy prog candidate?
    Posted: January 10 2016 at 04:40
Swedish band with one album out on UK label Copro Records (a label which incidentally appears to be defunct or badly failing).

The album has been pulled from Spotify, but there are some YouTube videos around.

Facebook

Homepage

Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2016 at 05:22
Superb stuff indeed - what a voice the lady has!

Yeah, I reckon Heavy Prog is definitely the place to start things off - it's either there or Eclectic Prog as I see it (or hear it). Great find!! Thumbs Up
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2016 at 15:37
Heavy enough with classical hard rock influence mix with folk.  On charts.

Edited by rdtprog - January 10 2016 at 15:44
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2017 at 06:48
Mad Artwork were duly unanimously approved for inclusion about 18 months ago, and their page can be found here: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=9701.

There are just three ratings there so far for the 'I Still Breathe' album (two of which are actually glowing reviews, one of which is by Olav himself, who always gives us a very detailed, thorough and highly professional account of everything he is given to review). There are also just 85 views at the moment of this thread, which is a shame.

Yes indeed, Mad Artwork are hardly known at all in the prog world at the moment...and that is just a dreadful state of affairs imho considering the effort and resources the band put into creating this great album, and the total lack of support they received from their record label in promoting it.

Let me say here again - this is superb stuff...probably as good a Heavy Prog album as I have heard anywhere in the last few years...and the quite excellent music is complemented by a female singer who has one of the best voices I have heard anywhere in the last few years too. What more could You want!!

The album is back on spotify now (and has been for quite a while): https://open.spotify.com/album/2NFyT38asbe9LjdbRfpytc, and all the live videos from the album release show are on YouTube (the 'Silence of the Free' video posted by Olav above is for a song isn't actually included on the album, but is just as good as the four quite lengthy tracks that are on there - averaging around the 10 minute mark).

The audio and visual quality of these live clips is quite excellent - as good as the studio versions in many respects - and anyone who enjoys Heavy Prog of any kind, never mind the much less common female fronted variation of it, will not be disappointed by this music.

I strongly recommend that you take a listen - either on YouTube or spotify.  The band are working on a much anticipated follow-up, and deserve far more love and support than they have thus far received.

More info at http://madartwork.com/, where you will find the embedded spotify player, and four of the five live videos conveniently placed for your enjoyment.

The fifth video (actually the 1st song on the album, and the longest song of the four) is here:

I'm no good at writing reviews myself, but if a few more reviews on their page were forthcoming from those at are good at it, that would be the very least the band deserve for the effort they put into creating and delivering this really great album (as well as the regular five-piece band, four really top-notch guest musicians were involved in the making of it - two of whom also took part in the live album release show from which the video clips are taken).

Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2017 at 07:34
Holy crap! Checking them out on YouTube right now. f**king awesome! 
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2017 at 08:58
^ Isn't it just!

If anyone wants to view them as an automatic playlist, use the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDQ3ZoovpyM&index=5&list=UU3W1XHNG7narRPTv2LmrGrQ They are videos 5-9, and will play in sequence. All are equally excellent! Can't wait for the follow up!! Thumbs Up
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2017 at 09:54
If I had any complaint at all it's that whenever they break into the kind of prog noodling I enjoy, they stop way too quickly. 

My face IS a maserati
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2017 at 10:27
^ Lol! Just do what I do...click the 'replay' button and listen to it over and over again! I could listen to this music all day long! Problem is, with the amount of new music I get through, a few days after I first heard this album I'd pretty much forgotten about it, but in hindsight this would probably have been my album of the year. It's got everything!!!
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2017 at 11:44
Oh yeah. Looking forward to hearing these songs again and hopefully, more new stuff

My face IS a maserati
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2017 at 07:44
Mad Artwork's 'I Still Breathe' is the featured 'album of the week' on Peter O'Neil's 'CHECK IT OUT with Dj PeterProg' progressive rock show on the Progrock.com Internet radio station this Friday, 11th August 7pm UK time, 1pm CST.

As well as an opportunity to listen to this fine album, the band will be joining Peter in the chat room to talk about its creation, and anyone is welcome to drop by and say hello, ask questions etc etc. The show is usually uploaded to mixcloud a day or so after it airs live, so if you can't make it on Friday you can hear the broadcast itself (but not the chat with the band) at any time of your own convenience.

Post Reply Post Reply