Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDavid Bowie - Blackstar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
HosiannaMantra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: David Bowie - Blackstar
    Posted: June 30 2016 at 09:25
I'd say one of the worse albums Jason Lindner plays on, and one of the best David Bowie has recorded. It has some really great arrangements and playing, but vocals sometimes go too far for my taste.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2016 at 07:12
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

^ incorrect.

You are correct.

He has not been to Oxford Town.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 13:25
Love at first hearing and, man, it gets better and better...

I can't give...
I can't give everything away...
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2016 at 13:32
LOLLOL
Priceless!!

As for Blackstar: I am trying not to overdose on it. As an old fan of Bowie's I've been waiting over 20 years for an album like this to be released. It is not because he hasn't made interesting music in the meantime, Earthling was very good...but it is simply not in the same class as this his swansong. 
Listening to the lyrics gives me the chills. There's a contemporary and wholly personal Nostradamus hidden in there - oozing through in a beautiful and very poetic manner. He knew where he was going and, at least from a musical viewpoint, embraced it and turned it into something artistic.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2016 at 13:03
Blackstar is an amazing album from an amazing artist.

I was just googling David Bowie best rock pop artist, and came across a discussion thread that made me chuckle:

Is David Bowie the best rock artist / songwriter ever?

Mama146: "I would say yes. I first heard him in 1974 as a teenager. He is the ONLY one who has stood the test of time. 200 years from now he will have the same notoriety as Mozart does to us."

segfaultxr7: "Agreed 100%. Eerie fact: Mozart ran out of money after a bit too much debauchery, then went to Berlin to get his career back on track."

MelissaJuice: "Wow. Cool connection."

ExtraCheesyPie: "Eerie fact: Mozart also hated flying in planes. Too eerie to be a coincidence."

segfaultxr7: "k"
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2016 at 12:20
Originally posted by giselle giselle wrote:

I think Blackstar and Lazarus are both artistically a high point for David, but I can't help but feel terribly sad that he had to express his approaching death in such a negative way. I did read somewhere that he believed in God, so I also hope that these songs/recordings don't reflect his true feelings about his life and death.

It was dark, indeed, but honest. And it wasn't supposed to be the last. As Tony Visconti pointed out in an interview, he was already working on new material before Blackstar came out. Sadly, it was not to be.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2016 at 05:51
I'm glad this thread has got bumped as it's reasserted itself as the best thing I've heard in years, let alone from Bowie.
King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2016 at 03:41

I think Blackstar and Lazarus are both artistically a high point for David, but I can't help but feel terribly sad that he had to express his approaching death in such a negative way. I did read somewhere that he believed in God, so I also hope that these songs/recordings don't reflect his true feelings about his life and death.

I think he was very frustrated that his death came so soon. His daughter was only 15 when he died, I'm sure that he was sad he wasn't able to stay with her until she reached adulthood. Plus he still had many things he wanted to do artistically, his well of songs had not run dry yet. He must have been disappointed that he wasn't able to record more music. It's obvious that he truly loved music, not many other people would have struggled to finish an album when they were that sick.

Edited by King Only - June 17 2016 at 03:45
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2016 at 18:54

To me they seem authentic, but this can mean many things. Some people get their darkest thoughts out in an artistic manner in order to be left with the more positive ones. Also many details in the lyrics can mean many things and the interpretation that seems most obvious may not be the right one.
giselle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2016 at 05:43
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2016 at 20:14
^ incorrect.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2016 at 09:48
His best album since Scary Monsters......not saying much - a lot of dross in between Blackstar and Monsters.  That said, this is easily his best album in 36 years.....nothing even comes close.  Earthling?  Hours?  Outside?  You can cherrypick the best of those three albums and not even come up with a decent LP side. 
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2016 at 12:01
I've never been a Bowie fan.  I respect his artistry but it just hasn't been my thing. 

However....Blackstar

This album is truly amazing.  Reminds me of Peter Gabriel's "UP" and Robert Wyatt's "Comicopera" in some ways, a late life moment where the stars align. 
Komandant Shamal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2016 at 20:10
"Blackstar" the album is a perfect example of an *instant classic* album.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2016 at 02:49
I got my (pre-ordered) CD in the mail yesterday, a week after the release. Thank you, UK Mail for taking 10 days to get it to me - mail from the US is sometimes faster despite being across the ocean.

I also have the LP on order, but it is delayed. Not sure if they will actually press more. They should, give demand, but you never know.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2016 at 02:25
Blackstar is avalaible in the biggest record store of Paris. But the other albums are not. 
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2016 at 17:59
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

He died within the first week of the album's release. It came out a week ago. I wonder what the sales have been(I haven't read anything yet nor have I searched for any info).

"150,000 copies sold in week one.
has scored an astonishing nineteen top 100 albums in the UK charts, the first charts listing to be released following his death on Sunday, January 10.

Bowie's new album 'Blackstar' - released just two days before his death on January 8 - becomes his tenth number one album, and the fastest selling release of 2016 so far, with 150,000 copies sold in week one. The Official Charts have revealed Bowie was already on course for the number one spot before he passed away from cancer earlier this week.

The re-entry of a host of the Brixton artist's past albums have flooded the charts, though, with re-charting albums including 'Hunky Dory', 'The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars' and 'Nothing Has Changed'. The latter - a best of - is the second highest charter, in at number five.

Bowie's singles have also gone big this week, with 'Heroes' at number 11, 'Life On Mars' at number 16 and eleven other singles to be found inside the UK top 100.

Bowie released 27 studio albums in total, as well as 120 singles and a wide range of compilations and live albums."

From this http://www.nme.com/news/david-bowie/90801#0UMgwYEUvCo9xXU3.99

And copy and paste this to see the official UK album charts now drawn on a Friday:

http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/albums-chart/
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2016 at 17:27
He died within the first week of the album's release. It came out a week ago. I wonder what the sales have been(I haven't read anything yet nor have I searched for any info).
Magma America Great Make Again
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2016 at 17:27
Originally posted by Warthur Warthur wrote:

Originally posted by AZF AZF wrote:

Just when I thought I'd become used to the album and disinterested in the album, it opens up more things like two songs near the end with a Fripp guitar pastiche.
I like to think of it more as a tribute than a pastiche... and in light of recent events, perhaps a final "thank you" for the magic Fripp added to "Heroes" and Scary Monsters.

My language was too strong, I observed and felt touched enough to post. But I see it as a "Thank you" too.
Didn't notice "pastiche" had some negative connotations.
And not listening to any other album than "Blackstar" since Saturday!
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2016 at 17:18
His "Blackstar" is unavailable in almost all CD stores in Japan! Shocked
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>