Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Falsies (UK) for Heavy Prog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Falsies (UK) for Heavy Prog
    Posted: January 10 2016 at 21:45
The Falsies is a prog-rock trio from Southend On Sea. the members are Mark Drozdz (guitar and drum programming), Nick G Coward (vocals and bass guitar) and Paul Chapman (keyboards and guitar). they released one interesing full-lenght album "Finally" in 2010, and two first-class singles - "Conmfort Zones" and "6 Strings" - both released in December 2015. i suggested The Falsies for the PA' Heavy Prog department due to nice heavy riffs.

rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2016 at 04:10
Falsies on charts. Yes for me
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2016 at 08:38
Heard these guys on Angela Buchanan's show on aiiradio.net a few years ago, and thought they sounded a bit like Magnum or Final Conflict. Anyhow - I 'liked' them on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-falsies-190222244340244, joining about 40 other people...and there have been no updates by the band on their page since then.

To be strictly accurate they were a multinational band - guitarist Mark Drozdz was actually from Poland.

Here's their bio (also available on their soundclick page under their old name of 'False Prophet'), from where their music can also be accessed (along with a very grainy band photo)http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1057422.

"In the early spring of 1978 a group of people got together to form a band that eventually became the near legendary, if somewhat apocryphal, False Prophet. False Prophet was, without much doubt, ahead of its time. Pompous, progressive, heavy, addled, complex to the point of insanity, were all descriptions coined at various times. Most of these descriptions had some basis in fact. But, however it was described, most people agreed - the music had validity. Numerous people were involved at various times, but the nucleus throughout most incarnations remained Mark Drozdz (guitars), Paul Chapman (guitars/keyboards), Nicky Coward (bass), and Kevin Neaves (drums). Precious few recordings remain from the band’s heyday, and it seemed for years that the apocryphal status would become permanent - a mere memory in the minds of the devoted and deluded. And then, in 2009, fate intervened. Mark, Paul and Nicky, although living in different parts of the world, became re-united via the wonders of electrons and the interweb. It was suggested that it might be fun to “properly” record one or two of the old songs – or at least as “properly” as the thousands of miles separating the protagonists would allow. With Nick now taking up the reins as lead vocalist, those “few songs” are now approaching a full album of interesting, perhaps iconic, music.  Listen. It might just change your life."

As far as I can tell, the change of band name to 'The Falsies' occurred some time in late 2011, but I can't confirm this for sure - some retrospective editing may have created this impression. They were certainly known as 'The Falsies' in August 2012 however (see the songcrafters.org link below - where I mention the death of guitarist Mark Drozdz).

Members:
- Mark Drozdz / guitars, drum programming 
- Nick Coward / vocals, bass guitar
- Paul Chapman / guitars, keyboards

The "Finally" album was originally available as a CD costing £5, and a 2nd CD "Tour de False" was planned, but as far as I know never saw the light of day.

Good find! I loved these guys as soon as I heard them...but I never imagined they'd end up on progarchives!! LOL

Vocalist Nick Coward has been involved in numerous other projects, some of which also involve Paul Chapman and Mark Drozdz. He has a soundcloud page where you can listen to these other recordings: https://soundcloud.com/nick-coward.

Earlier music recorded as 'False Prophet' can be found at: https://myspace.com/falseprophetsource/music/albums.

Guitarist Mark Drozdz unfortunately died aged just 53 on 25th August 2012: http://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=16183. He apparently had undiagnosed heart disease resulting in him dying suddenly in his sleep. Nick also has a Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkr6YgAJI_1YKWaik5ltZpQ, to which this video in Mark's memory was uploaded about a month ago: 

RIP Mark. Cry

Edit: Tried to upload the band pic, but the forum image upload feature is still screwed up, despite being reported as a bug several days ago by at least three other people. C'mon guys  - get it fixed!!! LOL

Edited by yam yam - January 11 2016 at 10:37
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2016 at 06:59
Hmm, a prog band from Southend, I guess I need to check them out.
Crap name though.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2016 at 10:22
^ Yeah - they should have stuck to 'False Prophet'! Music is pretty good though. Smile
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2016 at 20:32
Do you know what...? I'm definitely going senile! Cry

Look what I just found...!! http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=82098. More than four years old and still open too! I did a search for the band yesterday and it returned zilch...Finds it now ok though. Embarrassed

And here's their band pic:

...Entered using its URL, since I still can't upload it from my computer due to the problem with the image upload gizmo.  Disapprove

And I'm glad, I suppose, that Mark Drozdz isn't the one on the left, since it would indeed have been an unfortunate choice of T-shirt that he made right there. Cry

Edited by yam yam - January 12 2016 at 21:57
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2016 at 04:26
The overall sound is hard rock with some prog structures in it. It's a tougher case then i thought at first.
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2016 at 08:59
Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

The overall sound is hard rock with some prog structures in it. It's a tougher case then i thought at first.

I agree, bit of a borderline case even if they are from Southend.
 Post Reply Post Reply