FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDavid "Bowie" Robert Jones; 1947 – 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2016 at 13:36
Originally posted by Tuzvihar Tuzvihar wrote:

That's really shocking... and unexpected... R.I.P. Legend.

I know it's a shame but I almost don't know his music. I've been meaning to check his output for a long time but never gotten round to it. Will do now. How often does it happen when only the death of an artist prompts you to know them (same happened for me with Lou Reed e.g.)?

Start with "Low" his most prog related album (he was not a prog artist as we all know). Then the wonderful "Station to Station and "Scary Monsters". Grab "Ziggy Stardust" and you have what I have rated with five stars on this site. "Heroes" could also please your ears for its prog orientation. Enjoy the music of this GREAT man.
ZowieZiggy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2016 at 15:12
What is it now.. Wednsday?... yeah.. Wife confirms it. Been in a daze I suppose.

I've had Aladdin Sane in my pickup for 3 days now and .. well... that album and especially the title track encapsulated Bowie to me.

What a loss, that was a shock that was to hear of Monday morning. Labelling musicians as geniuses is as overdone as it is many times simply idiotic. As we all know, Bowie was special, he just didn't make good music. He transcended that.

Needless to say.  RIP man and thanks for so much enjoyment your music gave me. 

Speaking of Aladdin Sane. I thought this summed up what Bowie was especially well.  That song gave us what could be easily considered one of the top insturmental solos of the modern rock era.  If you can think of any more famous piano or keyboard solo, you would be a better man than me.  It is a famous one, but it was vintage Bowie how it came to exist.

http://indieethos.com/2013/04/20/40-years-later-mike-garson-recalls-what-it-was-like-to-record-aladdin-sane-with-david-bowie/

'I had told Bowie about the avant-garde thing. When I was recording the Aladdin Sane track for Bowie, it was just two chords, an A and a G chord, and the band was playing very simple English rock and roll. And Bowie said: 'play a solo on this.' I had just met him, so I played a blues solo, but then he said: 'No, that’s not what I want.' And then I played a latin solo. Again, Bowie said: 'No no, that’s not what I want.' He then continued: 'You told me you play that avant-garde music. Play that stuff!' And I said: 'Are you sure? ‘Cause you might not be working anymore!'. So I did the solo that everybody knows today, in one take. And to this day, I still receive emails about it. Every day. I always tell people that Bowie is the best producer I ever met, because he lets me do my thing

Edited by micky - January 13 2016 at 15:14
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Frosted Celt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2016 at 15:57
I'm really digging the latest Bowie release ; Blackstar. It's made me wonder what I've missed.
I'm a huge fan of Aladdin Sane, Diamond Dogs,Ziggy Stardust, Station to Station, The Man Who Sold The Earth & Blackstar. Others I like but not quite as much : Hunky Dory, 1.Outside & Earthling. I'm not a real big fan of Let's Dance ..althought it's quite catchy its a bit too commercial sounding for my tastes.
I like his Jazzy , rock and industrial tinged stuff I guess.
Any album reccs ?

Edit: I should have said I already plan to look into Heroes, Heathen & Scary Monsters. Anything else to look into ?

Edited by Frosted Celt - January 13 2016 at 16:08
Rockinrobin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2016 at 19:41
Should checkout Bowie live at the Beeb (BBC) Box set

Disc Two has some great guitar licks by Ronno ( such an underrated guitarist), also has a killer version of White Light/White Heat

R
If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.
Frank Zappa
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2016 at 20:16
I liked his early hits.  Then his voice changed and became much more guttural and deep, and seemed to stay that way for the rest of his career, though I admit I haven't really followed him.  I also admit to a strong liking for the song "China Girl".  Some great guitar licks there too

Edited by kenethlevine - January 13 2016 at 20:29
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2016 at 21:55
I've always been a huge fan of his and was shocked to hear of his passing.  Dismayed that Bowie is gone.  Tonight I'm listening to his album The Next Day and strangely enough the lyric to the first song/title track goes something like "Here I am, not quite dying, my body left to rot in a hollow tree."  Seems somewhat prophetic, considering...Rest in peace, sir.  Thank you for sharing your music with all of us. 

Edited by The Doctor - January 13 2016 at 22:51
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2016 at 06:21
RIP, David. Cry

Originally posted by Frosted Celt Frosted Celt wrote:

I'm really digging the latest Bowie release ; Blackstar. It's made me wonder what I've missed.
I'm a huge fan of Aladdin Sane, Diamond Dogs,Ziggy Stardust, Station to Station, The Man Who Sold The Earth & Blackstar. Others I like but not quite as much : Hunky Dory, 1.Outside & Earthling. I'm not a real big fan of Let's Dance ..althought it's quite catchy its a bit too commercial sounding for my tastes.
I like his Jazzy , rock and industrial tinged stuff I guess.
Any album reccs ?

Edit: I should have said I already plan to look into Heroes, Heathen & Scary Monsters. Anything else to look into ?
I'd say check out Low.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2016 at 22:35
He will be missed. I had a cassette copied from LP of Heroes for a while back.  I didn't seriously get into his music until I bought the album Outside when it came out. Then he was one of those artists where I had to get the new album right away when it came out 

As I explored backwards in his discography, I found lots of great stuff.  Some fans might differ with me, but his best albums are those that have at least one progressive rock musician.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Son.of.Tiresias View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2016 at 10:57
As a kid I liked "Space Oddity" and "Starman" alot but it was "The Jean Genie" that was so cool. The transition period from space stuff to glam was superb, very proggy in pop music really. As Ziggy Stardust was his finest hour, Aladdin not so much for me... back in the day.

Thanks for the cool glam, David. It was space stuff :)
RIP

Edited by Son.of.Tiresias - April 02 2016 at 14:42
You may see a smile on Tony Banks´ face but that´s unlikely.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2016 at 02:51
To me David Bowie was a very progressive rock artist. Using pop camouflage in his first move of adroit irony he sold some exquisite and among a few fun tracks a lot of very serious albums. A huge and amusing deceit; he sold an image and provided great music. Outside, Earthling, Black Star, Heroes, Station To Station, Scary Monsters, Low, Lodger, Reality, The Next Day, Diamond Dogs (for the most part) are hardly top 40 oriented fare and when he did (Ziggy Stardust it was a set of how fine pop and pop rock could be). He even managed to get Fripp into the pop charts (Heroes). Bet RF never saw that one coming.

He paired up with some superb guitarists, and other major collaborators (Eno) created terrific bands; changed direction and even his lesser moments (the Young Americans album) has classic material - the title track and Fame.

He staged his entrance, his stay, even, to an extent his exit.

Just playing his Montreux 2002 concert; almost certainly worthy of official release like so many other Montreux releases. Low is the encore. He and all are having a fun and great time.

He had a bit of a run in with FZ (worth seeking out Adrian Belew's story of that; it was about Adrian Belew) and like FZ I shall mourn his passing by playing and so celebrating their most worthy lives and musical accomplishments. And yes, he was a fine actor as well. His portrayal of Nikolai Tesla (The Prestige) had me thinking... that was Bowie?

Goodbye Spaceboy.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123