Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDavid Bowie Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: David Bowie Appreciation Thread
    Posted: January 11 2016 at 11:07
I am sad to say that David Bowie has passed away. 

It was announced this morning that the influential artist had died of cancer yesterday, two days after his birthday and the release of his new (and final) album. The thought of this is so surreal, and I'm almost in denial.

Although David Bowie isn't traditionally considered progressive rock, I think we can all agree that a lot of his music most certainly bears prog elements and he has been a continuing source of inspiration for many musicians since the day that he started making music, to the day that he passed away; and he will continue to live in our hearts, being passed on from generation to generation as a pioneer and an inventor in the world of music. 

It is time for us to mourn the loss of a true artist, and appreciate all that he has brought into this world. Let us not forget all of the changes that his style has undergone, and all of the musical grounds that David Bowie has conquered. 

I'm creating this thread because I didn't see one already, and I think it's important that we share our thoughts and experiences regarding David Bowie and his music.
I encourage you to talk about him and his influence on you.
Talk about your favourite songs and albums from, your earliest memory of his music, and talk about the impact that him and his music has had on you and the bands and musicians that you listen to.
It is also encouraged to talk about your thoughts on his new album, Blackstar.

You will be in our hearts forever, Starman.

Edited by Jarhead81198 - January 11 2016 at 11:19
Did you ever imagine the last thing you'd hear as you're fading out was a song?
Jarhead81198 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2016 at 11:21
Did you ever imagine the last thing you'd hear as you're fading out was a song?
Flowerpunkchip View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2016 at 11:45
We're going to miss him for many many years!!

Hunky Dory is my favourite I think, not sure.

I had no idea he was ill.

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2016 at 12:39

as I'm sure you can imagine I'm gutted hearing of David's passing. He was the biggest influence & encouragement I could ever have wished for

http://https://twitter.com/GrumpyOldRick?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2016 at 12:43
Originally posted by Flowerpunkchip Flowerpunkchip wrote:

We're going to miss him for many many years!!

Hunky Dory is my favourite I think, not sure.

I had no idea he was ill.

Hunky Dory is my favourite, I think. Adore that album. Very sad news.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2016 at 13:12
Hi Greg good to see you round these parts. I've missed seeing Sean Connery in leather. Hope you're doing good.

As for Bowie: I'm a little lost for words at the moment. I got my copy of Blackstar yesterday and immediately loved it. Waking up to this has been utterly surreal and heartbreaking. Think I'll put on Lodger. 'Red Sails' will certainly sparkle up my evening.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2016 at 13:13
When I was a teenager in the early 80s, into Iron Maiden and the likes, Bowie was in his Let's Dance period. That was not my style of music, so I ignored him mostly afterwards. Just over a year ago I was discussing music with a good friend, and she let me listen to the Ziggy Stardust album. An album I knew of, but never listened to. Five Years caught me, then the rest of the album as well. It took me less than two months to get his first 14 albums on LP, and I bought the last two as well. Love every single one of them, with Ziggy Stardust being #1 if I have to choose, and the new Blackstar an easy #2. He left us on a high note, for sure, I'll miss him as much as any fan.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2016 at 13:34
In many ways, music is my religion and my country. Bowie was a confidant and a continent. 
kenmartree View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2016 at 17:33

Edited by kenmartree - January 13 2016 at 07:24
Komandant Shamal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2016 at 23:02
as i already said in another thread - i saw him live at an amazing concert in Yugoslavia in 1990 - that was his Sound & Vision The Greatest Hits Tour - and i can say that he was the greatest art-pop singer-songwriter of our time. Bowie was on the top of everything re art-pop since 1970.

Edited by Komandant Shamal - January 12 2016 at 23:16
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2016 at 23:38
The timing reminds me a little of Lennon's death, with a new, very appealing album just out in the midst of the tragic and sudden passing of one of the most important songwriters in history, if under far different circumstances.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2016 at 13:36
The whole album release on/near his 69th b'day, then his passing immediately after is 100% Bowie....you could never tell where Bowie was heading next....still can't. 
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2016 at 18:58
sorry for this long tekst, but i want everyone to read Chris Cornells kind words to Bowie

SIDEBAR
david bowie David Bowie: 30 Essential Songs »
I remember seeing the Ziggy Stardust album everywhere when I was a kid. People used to have all their vinyl in their living rooms, like part of the decor. You would see Let It Be and the faces of the Beatles everywhere, in a corner. At some point, I'd seen Ziggy enough that it piqued my interest, so I probably stole it from somebody.

Listening to that record was a bit like going to college, like the Beatles. The songwriting is incredible. I didn't know anything about him, and it was a bit past when that album was a moment in pop culture, but I didn't care. I was interested in the songs and loved every single song on the album.

When Scary Monsters came out, I saw him performing on a talk show, and I saw the "Ashes to Ashes" video where he dressed in some strange European clown costume. That had a huge impact on me. Because my first interpretation of him was the red-haired, androgynous Ziggy Stardust character, and seeing him like this made me think, "Oh, you can be whoever you want. You can live a hundred lives. You can create you and you can recreate you, and it's viable." He was the one that proved that that works.

I finally got to see him live on the Serious Moonlight Tour, around Let's Dance, in 1983. I was a huge fan by then and I really didn't want to go to that show, because it was at the Tacoma Dome, and I didn't like big crowds. But I went anyway. It was somewhat uncomfortable for me, but the show and the sound and everything about the set and the songs were incredible.

The theatrics stood out to me. The Simms brothers were on that tour as backing vocalists, and I remember when they weren't singing, they would stay onstage and sit in the corner at a table and play cards. Nobody ever left the stage. It was an atmosphere where it was theatrical, but relaxed. When you're a kid from Seattle, you've never seen anything like that before, and it was in the context of a pop record, so he didn't have to do that. He could have done anything he wanted. I saw the Police at the same dome, and they just came out and played Police songs and that was that. He didn't leave it like that. I was super impressed.

"He was an incredible guy, super inclusive and warm."
He was like one of those actors that fully embodies the character that he's creating. He was extremely transformative during different periods of his career. There was something about it that was very European and very not American. American rock bands would walk out like, "This is us and this is who we are and that's what we do," which I think is great, but Bowie was not like that.

Later in my life, I was part of a Vanity Fair music issue, where there were a lot of pretty amazing people there for a photo shoot. He was one of them. That was the first time I met him. I'd almost rather not meet someone I'm a fan of because I'm afraid that they're gonna say or do something that's going to then change how I feel when I listen to their music. But he was an incredible guy, super inclusive and warm. I'm always uncomfortable in most situations, and he made everybody comfortable. He was this bright light.

Our conversation was very much, "How are you doing?" and "Isn't this fun? Isn't it exciting to be in the same room with Stevie Wonder and Joni Mitchell at the same time?" It was just normal conversations. It's like he saw I was uncomfortable and went out of his way to alleviate that discomfort and make me feel happy about it. It was a compassionate moment for a guy that didn't necessarily have to be that way. Despite my worries, I walked out more excited to listen to his music.

I've played his song "Lady Stardust," from Ziggy Stardust, live in my solo shows over the years because I always loved it on the album, and, for some reason, it reminds me of Andy Wood. I wanted to play it in tribute to him, but then I ended up writing a bunch of songs for Temple of the Dog and those took precedence. When Soundgarden split up in '98, I came across that song, and I remember sitting in my car in the driveway listening to it, and there's that lyric, "He was all right, the band was all together," and it's so hopeful. My band had just broken up. And it really gutted me. So that was when I started doing it. I haven't played it more than a couple times live, but it's like the one song of his that I've always been drawn to. I just really love it.

When I woke up yesterday, I was already thinking about David Bowie. I was checking out his new record a couple of days ago; I was reading about it, I'd listened to a few songs. Then I saw the news. Hearing he'd died was just a really sad thing. I was very happy with Blackstar. I was really happy with his last album, The Next Day, too. Both albums show an ongoing evolution. I need people like David Bowie, people who are always moving on and not in a frustrating or slovenly way. It encourages me because I want to be able to write music and create albums until I drop dead.

I'd heard about him being ill over the last couple of years, so it wasn't a huge surprise, but just reading about his album a couple of days ago, I'd been thinking, "Oh, he's better. He's fine." It was sad to feel like that's not going to happen and we're not gonna see him again.

You don't know how important someone is to you as an artistic influence until suddenly they're gone. I've certainly been having that experience. It's kind of equal parts sad and celebratory to think, "Awesome. What an amazing career he had and what an amazing legacy he's left for everybody."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/chris-cornell-on-david-bowies-evolution-he-was-an-inspiration-20160112#ixzz3xBCs7cOx
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2016 at 04:25
Great post. Clap I'm not a musician anymore, but a writer. I still feel Bowie's influence.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2016 at 17:32
your welcome
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2016 at 06:31
Heard a funny story yesterday. During the Young americans sessions, Bowie was searching for Lyrics on the Carlos Alomar's riff of Fame. Lennon was in the studio and did not stop shouting : "Ame Ame Ame ..." Bowie did not have more than to add F. Big smile 
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2016 at 15:28
Visconti says that he's in talks to try and get previously unreleased Bowie stuff out.

LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2016 at 18:20
Okay, we now know what the follow up box set to Five Years (1969-1973) will be: Who Can I Be Now? (1974-1976). It will presumably include Diamond Dogs, Young Americans, and Station To Station, but what we do know so far is that a previously unreleased album, at least of sorts, will be included, called The Gouster. Said album is essentially a proto-Young Americans.

More information should come next week. For now, here's the link:

AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2016 at 06:07
http://www.nme.com/news/david-bowie/95188

Copy that link for details. I'm not on any Bowie newsletters. The 1984-1988 box set would have to have some serious stuff on there!
The Jester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2017 at 03:06
I bought Ziggy Stardust when I was 13 years old and I was blown away!
Today, after almost 35 years is still one of my most beloved albums.
Ziggy's period was a blast!

If anybody wants please visit: http://www.gfreedomathina.blogspot.com/

This is my Blog mostly about Rock music, but also a few other things as well.

You are most welcome!

Thank you. :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>