Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDavid Bowie memories

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2016 at 16:04
My best friend's first wife was a huge Bowie fan so we all went to see him in 1983 during the Serious Moonlight tour at Rosemont in the Chicago area . It was a good show and they had this chair thing attached to a lift that carried him high up into the air over the front of the stage and seating areas  when he did Major Tom.
We weren't all that close so it was hard to  get a good look at him but he was solid throughout the whole performance.
That's about all I can recalll since back in those days we were usually in an altered state when attending shows.
Embarrassed
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2016 at 16:58
After the "Heroes" album came out I heard he was making a stop in Oakland on the '78 tour.  While I wasn't a huge Bowie fan (I loved Lodger & liked Heroes) the chance that Fripp might be on the tour was enough to convince me to buy a ticket.  Well, no Fripp, but we did get Belew on guitar and Roger Powell on kybds.  The main thing I remember is they opened with Heroes (the song) and Bowie just nailed it.  And the audience was the most bizarre collection of costumed and made up people this side of the SF Exotic Erotic Halloween Ball Cool

RIP Bowie...
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2016 at 20:57
Bowie's performance of TVC 15 with Klaus Nomi as a backup singer on Saturday Night Live was very special.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2016 at 21:07
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

After the "Heroes" album came out I heard he was making a stop in Oakland on the '78 tour.  While I wasn't a huge Bowie fan (I loved Lodger & liked Heroes) the chance that Fripp might be on the tour was enough to convince me to buy a ticket.  Well, no Fripp, but we did get Belew on guitar and Roger Powell on kybds.  The main thing I remember is they opened with Heroes (the song) and Bowie just nailed it.  And the audience was the most bizarre collection of costumed and made up people this side of the SF Exotic Erotic Halloween Ball Cool

RIP Bowie...

Bob Fripp speaks about that a bit in this clip:

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2016 at 03:54
Last year on Sky Italy a famous journalist specialized in crime investigations has realized a number of "fake investigations" called "Almost True" about various rock urban legends. They were very funny, realized as they were true facts.
The first was about Paul McCartney and his death. We all know that a sosia has taken his place in the Beatles before Abbey Road. Also Elvis Presley is not really dead, of course.
One was about David Bowie. He is supposed to be a vampire and a number of evidences was brought in support of this fact...

So I like thinking that, as all the immortals, he has just simulated his death in order to change identity and start a new life somewhere else. 

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2016 at 04:00
^ Nah, he's a chameleon............
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2016 at 11:36
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

RIP Bowie...

Bob Fripp speaks about that a bit in this clip:

Thanks for that vid Chuck, fantastic stuff!  And I love your Zappa/Bowie story in the other thread...still has me laughing this morning.  I can just see Zappa pissed at getting his new "stunt guitarist" poached by Bowie..."F you Major Tom" indeed LOL

Edited by The.Crimson.King - January 15 2016 at 11:37
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2016 at 13:33
My first Bowie records bought were 7" singles of some of his hits like Life On Mars and The Jean Genie when i was a kid growing up in the seventies. I didn't actually buy any albums of his until Station To Station (remains my favourite to this day) and Low came out. That was a great period where I thought he was particularly inventive. After that I back tracked and bought everything else and bought all his new releases up until Tonight. Since then I dipped in and out buying occasional albums. The next Day was a great comeback after 10 years away and re-awakened my interest. 

I'm really glad to have caught him Live which i did on the Serious Moonlight tour in 83. He had a great band with him including Earl Slick on guitar. I always felt his albums were better when Earl Slick was around, his best guitarist partner baring Mick Ronson IMO.

Have only heard bits of the new album but I'm going to wait until i can get a Vinyl copy and listen properly with a Malt Whisky in hand.
Bitterblogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2016 at 23:05
When I got my stereo installed in my first car, among the very first cassettes purchased was Diamond Dogs.

Saw him only once in concert, but it was a smash--Anaheim Stadium for the Glass Spider tour, with Peter Frampton.

And who couldn't love someone who gave a major boost to Rick Wakeman's burgeoning career?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12