Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJacco Gardner for Psychedelic Rock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jacco Gardner for Psychedelic Rock
    Posted: January 15 2016 at 01:47
Dutch multi-instrumentalist and producer born in 1988 in Hoorn, NL. He makes music with psychedelic 60s influences. 3VOOR12 called him in February 2013 one of the most acclaimed Dutch musicians of the moment, and both inside and outside the Netherlands. His debut single, Clear The Air came in February 2012 on the Spanish label Action Weekend. In February 2013 he released his album Cabinet of Curiosities from the American label Trouble in Mind. In February 2015 the single Find Yourself came out. Gardner previously played in the band Lola Kite and The Skywalkers. Heavily influenced by Syd Barrett, Jacco is a young man in an old mans shoes.

yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2016 at 09:54
Tagged mostly as Psychedelic Pop and Baroque Pop, and I would tend to agree with that. 

The full 'Cabinet of Curiosities' album is on YouTube:

Both albums are on Spotify, along with his latest two singles: https://play.spotify.com/artist/5RfKXXQQn2OhZiT5iSggZn.

And here's a concert he played at Lowlands 2015:

He also has a bandcamp, but there is very little music to listen to on there - just a couple of tracks from the second album 'Hypnophobia': https://jaccogardner.bandcamp.com.

Not personally hearing this as prog tbf. Has a strong 60s vibe to it indeed, and the Syd Barrett influence is very conspicuous...but Syd is only in Prog Related on here, and that's just about where this guy might belong if he was also a veteran musician of the sixties who'd had a lot of influence on those who followed him (he's just 27). The Guardian newspaper did a feature on him after the release of 'Cabinet of Curiosities', and you can read that here.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2016 at 04:32
Great artist and definitely one of the best 60s pop revivalists. There's a lot of this stuff out there atm - things like Temples, Tame Impala, The Soundcarriers, Flaming Lips, Pepe Deluxe, Peaking Lights, MGMT and so forth. He is one of the best though.....but I wouldn't call his music prog or progressive. Tasty fits much better.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2016 at 05:44
I listened to the first two clips and loved it! Clap

But I wouldn't call it prog as well. And Syd's influence is evident indeed. That voice!
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2016 at 07:00
Yup - those Syd influences are right up front and I just love them. I do think he has his own thing going. Sorta like Ryley Walker who's channelling Tim Buckley.

Ryley's included here under prog folk, which I agree with. There's furthermore a real breezy jazz touch to his music that I really dig.

Edited by Guldbamsen - January 30 2016 at 07:01
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2016 at 08:36
I really liked 'Live @ Lowlands 2015', though have to agree with those prior comments.
This is psychedelic pop music provided with a vintage touch.

Post Reply Post Reply