FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSelling CD collection advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Selling CD collection advice
    Posted: January 17 2016 at 12:49
So over the last year or two I've been slowly reducing the amount of "stuff" we've accumulated over the last lifetime and I'm now looking at my CD collection. Currently around 2000 titles. I want to start with some of the heavier stuff like AC/DC. Black Sabbath, Van Halen etc., holding onto the truly prog stuff as long as I can. Can anyone share their experience, success and/or failures using methods such as Beat Goes On (used CD shop in Canada), E-Bay, posting to forums etc. I'd obviously like to maximize the return but I'd also like to keep the process quick and simple.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2016 at 15:31
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

So over the last year or two I've been slowly reducing the amount of "stuff" we've accumulated over the last lifetime and I'm now looking at my CD collection. Currently around 2000 titles. I want to start with some of the heavier stuff like AC/DC. Black Sabbath, Van Halen etc., holding onto the truly prog stuff as long as I can. Can anyone share their experience, success and/or failures using methods such as Beat Goes On (used CD shop in Canada), E-Bay, posting to forums etc. I'd obviously like to maximize the return but I'd also like to keep the process quick and simple.

I'll start the bidding. 2,000 titles at 1p per title, means a total bid of £20. If accepted, my e-mail address will follow
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2016 at 15:32
I wish I had some good answers for you but when I tried to sell similar cds in my local area they didn't really want them and the one place that did wasn't giving much for them. I suspect you'll get more if you sell them on e-bay or another online seller.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2016 at 15:43
Don't do it!!
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2016 at 16:35
I've recently thought about thinning out my CD collection and DVD collection.
I could probably cut out 150 to 200 CDs that are in top condition and at least that many DVDs as well.
I guess ebay is the best way to go but right now there are over 950,000 CDs in the Rock category alone. R & B has 230,000 and Metal has another 150,000. 
Then you have to deal with the buyers one at a time and then there's the shipping...
I'm not really up for any of that so I'll probably box them up and put them on a shelf in the garage.
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2016 at 17:01
I thin out my collection regularly, but give them to Goodwill. You might find the charitable tax credit is worth  more than the hassle of selling and shipping them individually.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2016 at 18:00
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Don't do it!!

Agreed, though the heavy stuff mentioned would be fine to sell as it can always be replaced.   But the hard-to-find stuff ~ especially prog, fusion, etc. ~ should be kept.   Some stuff you simply will never see again even on Amazon.

The really nice thing about CDs is not the format, but the fact that so much music that barely saw daylight when it first came out began to be re-released, much of it on a whim in the hopes that someone might buy it.   Once that era is over, and it basically is, much of it will never exist in hard copy again.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2016 at 18:45
do you ship to finland?
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2016 at 21:38
Thin out my collection?

*stares blankly off into space, then blinks*

Ummm...what were we talking about again?
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
scruffydragon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2016 at 01:59
I was unemployed for a few years and forced to start selling on my CD'S to pay the bills. Even when I got work eventually (low wage) I continued to sell them to obtain other things which were desperately needed at that time. Despite having ripped off the music so I still had a copy to listen to and backed it up to USB stick  I regret splitting up the CD collection and selling it on E-Bay. I lost over 600 albums, most sold for very little at auction and now I regret it.
I have just started to rebuild my once proud collection. I don't care what happens, It won't get split up again for any reason.

So my word of advice, Don't unless you are totally sure that you want to do it or have no choice in the matter.I don't want to see anybody feeling the same as I do now.Cry

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2016 at 06:36
Let's assume you've definitely decided to sell.
eBay is fine but obviously a lot of postage is involved if you're selling them one at a time. In the UK we have MusicMagpie where you just scan in the bar code of the CD and they give you a price. For the quantity you have they would collect from you but the price they pay is very small. You might find a dealer who will give you a fair price for the whole lot, other than that it's a lot of car boot sales.
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2016 at 08:06
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Thin out my collection?

*stares blankly off into space, then blinks*

Ummm...what were we talking about again?

If you are never going to listen to something again, why continue to waste space on it? 
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2016 at 08:11
Thanks for all the input. It's a difficult decision to make but there is so much music that I'll never get around to listening to again. My son has said he wants my vinyl collection (1000 titles) but he has no interest in CD's, damn kids and their mp3's. I supposed after I've done an initial purge I'll just take them to the Beat Goes On and get what credit I can. Anything they don't want will end up at an Op-Shop. I'll definitely be holding onto the rarer titles, at least until I'm 80.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2016 at 11:37
Years ago, I used to be afflicted with a kind of "Musical Bulimia", where I would constantly buy things and get rid of them, and buy them back, etc.
                 Even rare items.
         What I started to do, and this will sound pretty odd to you people, was getting rid of the booklet, and keeping the CD and case and backing; that way it wasn't really salable, but I still had the music at my disposal.
             I am now fortunate in that I have rid myself of this, and no longer have to tear up the booklet to make something unsalable.
                  And I find there are things that I lose interest in for quite a while, but they eventually become of interest again, so it is good to hold onto things that you lose interest in, as that could conceivably change with time.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2016 at 11:49
JD,
Depending on your tax laws for donations in Canada, that to me is the best way to maximize your value. Generally you can claim a much higher value for the CDs than trying to sell them for 1-2 bucks. Used stores only get maybe 5 bucks for used CDs, so they will not pay anything over 2 bucks for them.

Zero issue for me getting rid of CDs, once I rip them and save them to a HDD I'm good. There are no "valuable" CDs in the world, nobody is looking for that $10,000 CD of a rare Zeppelin issue or the Fab Four Dead first issue CD.....

Unless there is a space issue, keep them, if not dump them for a deduction or at least look into it, the ebay thing is a lot of work.
VOTOMS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2016 at 12:04
whyy dont u buy Esmectatons CDs
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2016 at 12:12
If you posted a list of what you have I'm sure some of the people here would buy them for a much better price than any store would.

Or maybe just put an ad on a local paper if you can't be bothered to mail them.

Edited by Vompatti - January 18 2016 at 12:16
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2016 at 14:17
ebay is probably best, but be prepared to probably only get up to about £4 for each CD.
I tend to find CDs are more likely to sell on ebay if you list them with free postage
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2016 at 16:09
As others have said ebay is as good as anywhere. Although it will be more time consuming you'll get a better price selling them individually.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2016 at 19:22
Better keep em.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>