Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedS. Wilson comment on Professional Musicians

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 11:07
I bought Swans "The Seer" based on a Steven Wilson mini review of the album.   Steven Wilson is more than a producer, composer, and musician.   Steven Wilson is a prog rock music historian.  If Steven Wilson wasn't a musician,  I believe he would be a Collaborator on ProgArchives. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mISGb_Hmn0

Edited by omphaloskepsis - January 26 2016 at 11:14
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 14:09
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

I bought Swans "The Seer" based on a Steven Wilson mini review of the album.   Steven Wilson is more than a producer, composer, and musician.   Steven Wilson is a prog rock music historian.  If Steven Wilson wasn't a musician,  I believe he would be a Collaborator on ProgArchives. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mISGb_Hmn0

He is a collaborator on a Forum who talk about surround sound...
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

3RDegree View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2016 at 00:00
I understand what he's saying. The amount of time I give to my band with the many hats I have to wear for the band, a full time job (non-musical) and family, it leaves less time to find good music. Usually I just have enough time for my auto-buy list and checking out some of the bands who we share the bill with just to get some perspective. Now if you're a full-time musician you may have more time (than the "weekend warriors" that are the 95% of Prog bands on this site) to get inspired and influenced by your peers and beyond but perhaps still not.
www.3RDegreeONLINE.com www.facebook.com/3RDegree "Defiling Perfectly Good Songs With Prog Since 1990"
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2016 at 03:08
Well, as a musician, I'm not sure he's saying that at all, to be honest. It's either (a) a throwaway comment or 

(b)

- something like this. I've been playing 39 years - I play a variety of instruments and am pretty much totally immersed in music. My own music, that is, not many other peoples' music.

There is, of course, a reason for this, and you have to understand that real musicians see music in what appears to be a different way than non musicians. From a personal perspective, I spent 10 years being "classically trained" - then ten years to basically forget about being "classically trained" (there's a different conversation.) I spent the next ten years understanding what music was really all about, and the last nine years have been pretty good. ;-)

You won't probably get this. It all becomes very Zen. I'm not saying it to sound "mystical", it just becomes very difficult to convey an idea about an artform without sounding a bit..... mystical. The road to becoming a proper musician is a very long one and takes several stages. Stage one - you are confined by the instrument you've chosen and by conventional thinking about music. You are essentially mastering the physical requirements of the instrument, ie,  how to play G or Bb of F# on a sax, in my case. At this stage, you are reliant on sheet music, theory and someone elses' opinions on music - you are being taught. The basics.

Stage 2. You realise (a lot of musicians don't get this far !! ) that sheet music and playing other peoples' work and relying on other peoples' ideas and teaching methodologies is not going to turn you into a proper, individual musician. You tend to spend some considerable time unlearning what you've learnt. 

Stage 3. The best way of unlearning things and recreating yourself is to listen to other people's music - immerse yourself totally. You are building up - subconsciously - a massive background of ideas, rules, knowledge of how and when to break rules - musical styles etc etc. At this stage, you tend to poach ideas. These may be very basic ideas or something as complex as Arabic maqams and polyrhythms. You are, essentially, creating a musical framework in your head and learning to ***improvise***. Many musicians never get here. They either are too scared to improvise (and make inevitable mistakes) or are comfortable with the sheet music or tab. That's not to say it's wrong. Nothing is really wrong, it's art. 

Stage 4. After improvising and developing your own musical character, you begin to realise that you don't actually need to listen to other musicians in the same depth as you used to. It's like learning to talk. You develop a vocabulary by talking and then listen less to other people. You may pick up the occasional interesting word or phrase, but you don't listen every day to every word which everyone speaks. There is a massive danger, for musicians, of over-practice. Ginger Baker summed it up very well when he said drummers were best only practicing for 30 minutes a day, as more lead to over - repetition and getting stuck in a rut. 

At this stage, you tend to "grok" things. Look it up. "The ability to look at an object and automatically know instinctively what it is without an explanation". 

I don't know what Stage 5 is, but I look forwards to finding out. 

Music is not really about individual musicians, it's about being an individual and learning to develop and express yourself in that manner. Do I listen to a lot of music ? I hear it. Do I, as a musician, strip it back, analyse it, incorporate it, re-use it in a different form or as an adjunct to what I do ? Rarely. I have a developed musical vocabulary. I don't need to re-invent the wheel. 

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2016 at 10:14

Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

At this stage, you tend to "grok" things. Look it up. "The ability to look at an object and automatically know instinctively what it is without an explanation".

I don't know what Stage 5 is, but I look forwards to finding out.

Music is not really about individual musicians, it's about being an individual and learning to develop and express yourself in that manner. Do I listen to a lot of music ? I hear it. Do I, as a musician, strip it back, analyse it, incorporate it, re-use it in a different form or as an adjunct to what I do ? Rarely. I have a developed musical vocabulary. I don't need to re-invent the wheel.

BTW ... magnificent write up of yours ... really nice to see someone look at their inner music!

I tend to not discuss it as "stages", mainly because one can easily escape these and jump to the next level.

The main learning tool for this is "concentration" which is inversely proportional to the amount of time spent learning something. Meaning that sometimes you learn faster than others, depending on how much your thinking mind is in the way or not.

This is hard to discuss with musicians, since they tend to be defensive, and not able to discuss what they do intelectually (not all of them!), as writers and painters tend to do a bit more, even if their work is intuitive. Musicians, I THINK, are way too tied up and insecure with the work they do, to be able to open up like this. However, this is not the case with the more successful and experienced folks out there.

IF, you get the chance, look for a DVD called "The Tightrope", and when you are watching it, remember that someone is playing music to it along side (you won't quite notice that until later!), and is basically working the music with the actor that is trying the exercise ... and adjusting is the hard part ... which most musicians are not capable of doing because no one seems to know how to create exercises to sharpen up your ear, so you learn to adjust on the fly, and not have to wait for your mind to catch up with the notes or the chords! Music theory and musicians, will tend to tell you that you can not do this, because only this or that set of notes can fit in this second, and you don't have the time to bring these up from your inner self, thus, the part gets left behind, and the music has a slight hesitation that sounds like a mistake, but it is thought as not being one. Or, there is a transition that is not quite in sync, and most simply use a pause to get into it, instead of blending it.

All in all, I think, from a directing stand point that this is a matter of comfort between the art and the artist. And this is where many "intuitive" folks have an easier time ... they are already "there", whereas one rarely thinks of a single person in an orchestra as being "there" as a part of the music. Rock'n'roll is even worse on that account, not to mention the ego. jazz ... gets into the boring side of things, when it's all notes and chords and not music ... and it is obvious the folks playing have no idea what the concept of flying free in music is all about. Ask Miles about that!

I doubt he would work with anyone that did not have the sensitivity and ability to learn/feel new things, and being able to play them back ... you can the part you played off the score sheet ... but all of a sudden the accents and the feelings are missing! And this is where acting is stronger, because it is about elevating that moment with what you just did, not bringing it down, note wise, or letter/word wise!

I think you will like the film ... it's advanced acting at its best. And it has music with it, which Peter Brook has always used in his work, though it may come off with a word I want to use ... minimalist ... though I never thought the music was minimal to the whole content, or outside of that content ... it just seems to be perfect with it. And this is what "magic" is all about!

Edited by moshkito - January 27 2016 at 10:29
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2016 at 10:29
Very interesting post, Dave. It seems that I'm on stage 3 Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2016 at 10:31
Mosh, it's hard to discuss with musicians as non musicians don't necessarily have that level of understanding. ;-) 

Really, I wouldn't sit behind Claude Monet and say "Paint that duck blue. " Same thing. Non musicians think that they understand what goes on in the mind of a musician.... because they've listened to a lot of music. This is like saying I've seen lots of planes, let me near a 747. 

When musicians point this out to non musicians, words like "defensive" and "elitist" get thrown around. Which is just utterly stupid, but there you go. It's like someone going into a room full of dentists and telling them how to do their job "as they have seen teeth before". Yeah, well. 

There are levels of understanding of music and it is not elitist to say that a professional improvising musician will have more knowledge than people who have listened, no matter how deeply, to music. Otherwise we'd all be playing like gurus.

It's not about"concentration". You do not learn music as if it's a problem in physics or mathematics. I can hear concentration in a modal John Coltrane sax solo, but that's not the music.

I can't see why musicians should be "too tied up and insecure" - coming from a non musician, that's fairly condescending at best. Apologies, true. 

At a certain stage, playing becomes like Zen archery. It's extremely difficult to explain. If that sounds elitist or defensive, it's merely a correct statement. 

This is also probably why I don't like dissecting other people's music or engaging in endless comparatives - who's better than who - music is art. You like it or you don't. There is interesting and challenging and different music and run of the mill stuff, which holds no interest for me at all. I will go off and listen to new and interesting stuff, but I've heard most of it before or variations of it. Endless dissection is boring. 

Edited by Davesax1965 - January 27 2016 at 10:46

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2016 at 10:34
Thanks, Meltdowner. I think Most is partially correct in that there aren't really any stages and it's all cross over. 

I pick up a sax. Someone plays something. I play along automatically. I don't think about moving my fingers. I don't think about scales or keys, my mind reacts to the music and music comes out. I don't "listen" in detail to a lot of musicians as I've already heard so much that I know what's coming. So there is little left to listen to. Occasionally something new will come up. But it's like being married, you go selectively deaf after a few years as you know what your Dear Lady Wife is saying without listening. She'd kill me for that. ;-)

To quote Charlie Parker yet again

"Master the instrument, master the music...... and just play". ;-)

For a lot of jazz saxers (not me, I hasten to add) heroin became the drug of choice as it was a relaxant and dissociative. You lost the fear of making mistakes AND it allowed you to go off on your own trail of consciousness. Nothing you hear in proper, good jazz is consciously thought through. It is *experience* and the result of someone becoming a musician within themselves. They are programmed to respond in that way through years of listening to people and living "being a musician". Most new musicians think there is a formula and/ or a process.... the formulaic approach never works as you have to spend time thinking the formula through. There's another quote about improvisation - 

"In composition, you have a lifetime of experience to fill a 15 second solo. In improvisation, you have 15 seconds". 

So there's no time to think. You just become the person and *do*. Very Zen. 

To get there takes a long time of listening to other people and creating yourself as a musician. When you get there, there is simply no time or need to think of other things. Just do it.

Edited by Davesax1965 - January 27 2016 at 10:53

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2016 at 11:59

Mosh, it's hard to discuss with musicians as non musicians don't necessarily have that level of understanding. ;-)

To help clarify my words, since they do get mis-understood ... it's not that they do not have an understanding ... I think about the translation between their knowledge and the actual playing ... where the "zen" person, is able to do these things fairly easily ... see that film, and you will go ... yep ... Mosh is right!

It's not about the low level or high level of musicianship ... there is something else, that both new and old players and actors and painters and what not ... ALL have, but these bits do not always develop.

...When musicians point this out to non musicians, words like "defensive" and "elitist" get thrown around. Which is just utterly stupid, but there you go. It's like someone going into a room full of dentists and telling them how to do their job "as they have seen teeth before". Yeah, well.

Again, misunderstood. I come into a group of writers and tell Hesse, that I thought that a large part of his novel Steppenprog, is about the social consciousness of the monkey in a zoo ... he has the option of saying not really, or saying ... wow ... or saying ... right on ... another member of the magic theater. You're basically saying that because you know notes and chords and I don't, that I would not know what to feel and think ... and I can say the same thing about my words in poetry, or my words in a novel about you or anyone else. Or my paints on a canvas ... and that is NOT what the discussion is about, and not what I wanted to convey.

It's not about"concentration". You do not learn music as if it's a problem in physics or mathematics. I can hear concentration in a modal John Coltrane sax solo, but that's not the music.

This is only visible in rehearsal, and you need a "director" to help you catch it, because a recorder is not external enough for you to see more than just your own. Concentration that I am discussing here is different and is actually about the "learning" before you get to the Coltrane point. You skipped the part that helps take you there ... that's cheating (hehehe!!!)

At a certain stage, playing becomes like Zen archery. It's extremely difficult to explain. If that sounds elitist or defensive, it's merely a correct statement.

Weird that you can not recognize another zen right next to you!

...This is also probably why I don't like dissecting other people's music or engaging in endless comparatives ...

Incorrect. I nevver stated that one is better than the other. I have provided a PARALLEL ... that many folks are not willing to play with or check, because it is so foreigh to their "language" ... however, I do not have different words to explain it.

I never said that literature or painting is better than music ... all art is art for me, regardless of the vessel, and you separated it, not me.

I pick up a sax. Someone plays something. I play along automatically. I don't think about moving my fingers. I don't think about scales or keys, my mind reacts to the music and music comes out. I don't "listen" in detail to a lot of musicians as I've already heard so much that I know what's coming.

Now go walk the "tightrope" while playing ... I guarantee you there is some learning there ... it doesn't matter if you have been married that long or not, or if sex is now stale ... don't corner yourself and your ability!

You lost the fear of making mistakes AND it allowed you to go off on your own trail of consciousness. Nothing you hear in proper, good jazz is consciously thought through. It is *experience* and the result of someone becoming a musician within themselves. ...

Most "advanced" acting exercises are exactly about teaching you this. I just find it sad that some folks in music think that only 40 years of experience and 10 thousand naysayers can help you learn this. You can and it's available, a lot of which depending on one's ability to communicate and be open to ideas and other thoughts ... I won't say "concepts" because they are not "concepts", and most learning in these advanced areas has nothing to do with concepts but with individual details that add to what you do.

Since nothing else can help you, and my words are empty ... shut the door! Only a Mack truck, God and the master of the universe can teach?

It's not (even) about me teaching anything, but as an exercise and a chance to try something else ... the minute the door is shut, the number of opportunites to free yourself ... drop off ... and yeah, to use one of your expressions, it's very Zen ... and one of the important things is to never create the boxes, because it will be heck finding the boxes that ends all boxes in the end! ... stuck in a circle!

They are programmed to respond in that way through years of listening to people and living "being a musician". Most new musicians think there is a formula and/ or a process.... the formulaic approach never works as you have to spend time thinking the formula through....

The only thing one can really teach is a "process", and one hopes that the teacher is strong enough to tell the student that somewhere along the line you have to throw the process away, or the music never develops and changes. The book will be the same. The music will be the same. The actor will be the same.

There's another quote about improvisation - "In composition, you have a lifetime of experience to fill a 15 second solo. In improvisation, you have 15 seconds".

Robert Wyatt's is way better about Syd Barrett. I'll leave you to look for it, because it is a brain scorcher ... and takes things out of context so fast, it's not funny ... and it tells you that some people learn, and play, and do ... not the way you and I think!

I also mentioned there was no time to think, btw! In Pinter you have 1 minute plus to think. In Shakespeare, about 15 seconds. In Albee, you have about 3 seconds ... there is no time limit for this, because sometimes a pause makes sense, and sometimes it doesn't, and you might not know this until way later ...

Again, if you have the chance, please see "The Tightrope" and bring your saxophone with it!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2016 at 12:47
I agree with him and have thought about this topic for a while. All music is recycled from things you've heard before, whether you heard it on a record or on a street corner or while experimenting on your instrument. When you remove yourself from sounds that are new to you, you recycle only the sounds you already know well. Eventually, you stagnate.

The most artistically vital musicians not only listen to music but lots of different kinds. Most musicians have their "golden periods" while they are exploring new music and as touring and making music becomes more time consuming, they stop listening and become "washed up." Has nothing to do with age. David Bowie, for instance, always searched for underground artists at the time, not just popular ones. It's no surprise, then, that Bowie was a force to reckon with artistically up until his passing, always redefining himself. 

Of course, there comes a point where you need time and silence to interpret what you've heard, and the vocabulary can probably carry you for a little while, but eventually, to progress, you need some new sounds. An artist may have found their own unique sound, and they may be able to recreate it for days, but to truly push that sound forward as their own personal identity morphs through time, they need to listen. 

That said, Davesax rightly makes the distinction between listening in the layman sense, and analyzing and pulling it apart. That kind of thing isn't always necessary. But hearing new things always is. 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2016 at 13:37

Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

that make me think about what he meant when he said : "89% of professional musicians that i know stop listening to music when they become musicians, which it's not my case" ... My own understanding right now is that he must think that to do "good music" , you have to be inspired by the music you're listening while you're trying to create your own music. Am i on the right track? Maybe musicians can have a better understanding of this...

Going back to your original statement, my apologies for the overly long parts below ... but it is one thing that few agree on, and musicians, are known to be the most stubborn bunch, because they know what they do, and they tend to believe, that painters, writers, actors and other "artists" are morons that can not think and work, and that their "process" is not as detailed and important as that shown in music.

Nothing could be further from the truth ... with one exception. In writing a novel, or a poem, I do not worry about the language, grammar, or your comment or any other idea or concept ... I let my characters run a muck and do their own thing, and they resolve things on their own. I'm considered "rude" (or worse, not intelligent and totally off my rocker) because I write and say, something that at one time, was considered ... the writings of the devil ... and was punish'able by a witch burn or some other salacious event, like some word'ing here. Therefore, I must be wrong, as were all the mystics before me. Or Zen poluted idealism, the Alan Watts kind, if not someother middle class ideal!

You do not need to listen to other music ... it might help that you "know" that something else is out there, that you do not know about and understand, and that you have an inner open-ness to find many of these moments in your own playing, just like I do in my poetry and my writing ... never the same next week ... which, at times, you can say is nerve wrecking!

SW is very smart, and he is musically "educated" in more ways than one ... but he could easily tell you that he says that because in talking to Klaus Schulze, Daevid Allen, Peter Hammill and many other "individualistic styled" musicians, they rarely spend time listening to anything because they already have way too much music in side of them as it is ... you can't say that KS is the same as 40 years ago ... or better or worse, or the same ... he's neither. The same for DA and PH ... and this is not something that many folks can handle ... specially when it is not a commercially viable "known" piece of music, or artist.

Musicians, like any other artist, don't have a better "understanding of this", anymore than I or anyone else about what we do ... we like to think we do, and justify with a few words, but I guarantee you that tomorrow, these words would be slightly different, and this is the part that we ignore, and would rather state that others are wrong, than appreciate the differences.

What we ALL do, comes from as many million places in teh universe as there are people trying. And bringing it down to "one idea", "one concept" is futile and silly. Just like we all are! Wink

www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2016 at 03:10
Mosh, is an English translation for your last few posts available ? 

Or at least one with a level of self-awareness which says "I'm not a musician, I should stop telling musicians how it's done before I make a complete horses' ass of myself ? "

Seriously.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2016 at 03:14
Polymorphia, 100% true about stagnation. 

Unless you have an unbelievable "internal musical catalogue" to call on, you'll stagnate as a musician. 

At the end of the day, however, you're developing your own "voice", so that voice is not going to be all things to all men at all times. You're a product of your environment. And a lot of people don't like to change that environment. I wouldn't go off and listen to 1970's disco even though it'd expand my..... no, it wouldn.'t. ;-)

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2016 at 05:58
Coming from Steven, who has obviously been influenced and even outright copied stuff - Voyage 34, anyone?  David Gilmore called and he'd like his guitar riff back.  It is a bit of snobbery.  Then on the other hand I can appreciate being so engrossed in what you are making to not have time to listen to what others are doing.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 09:06
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

...  Then on the other hand I can appreciate being so engrossed in what you are making to not have time to listen to what others are doing.

... or (others) have to say!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123