Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMutiny in Jonestown for Psych/Space Rock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mutiny in Jonestown for Psych/Space Rock
    Posted: January 21 2016 at 15:36
I'd like to propose Mutiny in Jonestown for the Psych/Space Rock category based on their 2016 compilation release, "The Witching Hour".  While there are a couple of other subgenres that might also fit, I've been advised by some trusted prog lovers that Psych/Space is most likely the best category.  This is another of my one-man-bands, like WytchCrypt which was recently added to PA in the Experimental/Post Metal subgenre.  Mutiny in Jonestown was formed in 1988 to carry on the style of prog I always loved best which leans to the heavier and darker side of things and has released many albums so far and remains an active entity.  Prior to "The Witching Hour", the most recent album was released in 2014.  The albums have all been available in limited distribution CD format while this compilation is also available for free download on soundcloud at:

Also, the lyrics to the songs on "The Witching Hour" are available on my pinterest page at:

https://www.pinterest.com/dennis1960/mutiny-in-jonestown-the-witching-hour/

If anyone would like any further information about Mutiny in Jonestown, just PM me or reply to this thread.

Thanks,
Dennis
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2016 at 16:32
Nice music (and great bass work), it reminds me of Nektar and Eloy. Oh, and my buddy Nick also likes the album Big smile

I'll notify the team. Do you have some information about the previous albums?
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2016 at 16:38
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Nice music (and great bass work), it reminds me of Nektar and Eloy. Oh, and my buddy Nick also likes the album Big smile

I'll notify the team. Do you have some information about the previous albums?

Thank you for the kind words Wink  

I have as much info about the previous albums as you could possibly want LOL.  "The Witching Hour" is the 30th Mutiny in Jonestown album so there's a lot of ground to cover before that.  What info on previous albums would you like me to provide and should I do it in this thread or directly to you via PM?
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2016 at 16:44
OK. Just checking for now, I'll let you know if we need it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2016 at 16:48
Sounds good...just let me know when you need anything...  

Thanks Wink
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2016 at 00:39
ClapBeer30 one-man band albums !!  Your ways have great waves to surf on now.

Do you still have or make CDs ?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2016 at 10:29
Hey JM,

yes, I still make a limited amount of CD's for each album one at a time by hand to fill special orders.  As Peter Gabriel sang: 

"When things get so big, I don't trust them at all.  
 You want some control, you've got to keep it small...DIY"  Wink

Dennis
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2016 at 18:22
Oh good! Sam(Meltdowner) is part of the Psyche/space rock team! Ah yes!

Dennis you are in great hands. Sam has a great ear and will help you out. :)

Above all fellas, this is a great project. The proposed "witching hour' comp album is an absolute beaut.

Dennis. I originally entitled it "9" so I could tell some of my other closest dear friends on here in the "what albums did you listen to today" thread, just how much it bloody well rocks!!!

Quality music. Quality!

....man I miss the "bow" icon.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2017 at 13:48
Just wanted to bump this since a final decision on Mutiny in Jonestown for Psych/Space was never announced.  I've resubmitted the band for Neo Prog as it's been 11 months since any activity from the Psych/Space team occurred, but the Neo Prog team needs a final determination on this pending request before they move forward.

Thanks Wink
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2017 at 17:14
Dennis. MIJ deserves a spot on PA no matter what the classification of genre specifics your MIJ project falls under.
What a great musician you are and I hope a strong rally on here bands a great message or exposure to help get the word out for just how good your music is to the masses.

Ummmm? Yes. "Music for the masses."

and 11 months? That's too long. A reply to you should be given weather it's a 'yes' or 'no' answer as a professional courtesy. I'm pulling for you buddy. Not just because you are my friend, but because I sincerely am a fan of your music. MIJ is Psyche Rock. No doubt in my mind. You belong there.

:)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2017 at 18:16
I just looked through the PSIKE team thread and it looks like only one vote ever got cast on Mutiny in Jonestown, suggesting that they possibly be moved to crossover or heavy.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2017 at 16:24
Hi all, 

Sam (Meldowner) from the Psych/Space team suggested it might be easier to fully evaluate Mutiny in Jonestown if there were a couple studio albums in addition to the compilation album available for review.  Consider it done Wink

I've just completed uploading 2 of my favorite Mutiny in Jonestown studio albums to Soundcloud and I hope people like them.

The 1st is from 1991 titled, "The False Hollow Phantoms of Beauty - A Tribute to HP Lovecraft".  It's an album that takes 4 HP Lovecraft works and sets them to music while lyrically telling the stories, so people hopefully don't have to be into HP Lovecraft to enjoy it!  The final piece on the album is the 25 minute epic, "The Festival" with the total album running time around 46 minutes.

The 2nd is from 1993 titled, "Lost in an Absinthe Dream".  It's a mix of extended 7 to 10 minutes pieces and more concise songs as well for a total running time a little over 60 minutes.  A couple songs from this album, "The Witching Hour" & "Who is Most Afraid" also appear on the already posted "The Witching Hour" compilation album.  The last couple of songs are unusual in that they are poems by ee cummings set to music.

These albums can be heard at my Soundcloud album pages at:

And of course, the already submitted compilation album lives at:

After reading some recent discussion, I believe Mutiny in Jonestown could fit into Psych/Space, or Neo Prog, or Heavy Prog, or Crossover Prog, or Whatever Prog, but honestly I'm too close to the music to be that objective.  It's much better if I let other people on PA make that assessment.  Clearly the ball is currently in the court of the Psych/Space team so I would be grateful if they could take a listen to the new material I've provided and come up with a final decision so we can figure if and where MIJ ultimately belongs LOL

Thanks all!

Edited by The.Crimson.King - May 03 2017 at 16:26
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2017 at 12:30
Hi all, just wanted to post a quick update to this thread.

1) Mutiny in Jonestown has been moved from the Psych/Space team and is now being reviewed by DamoXt7942 and the Neo Prog team.  Thanks to Meltdowner and the Psych/Space team for their review efforts.

2) In addition to the 3 albums already available for review on Soundcloud (links given in my previous post), I also uploaded the 1st track of the new Mutiny in Jonestown album I'm currently working on.  It's another HP Lovecraft story set to music called, "The Colour Out of Space" and can be heard at:

https://soundcloud.com/dennis-m-366105599/the-colour-out-of-space

The album is scheduled for a mid-summer release to celebrate the 30th anniversary of MIJ Wink

Thanks!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2017 at 22:14
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

In addition to the 3 albums already available for review on Soundcloud (links given in my previous post), I also uploaded the 1st track of the new Mutiny in Jonestown album I'm currently working on.  It's another HP Lovecraft story set to music called, "The Colour Out of Space" and can be heard at:

https://soundcloud.com/dennis-m-366105599/the-colour-out-of-space

The album is scheduled for a mid-summer release to celebrate the 30th anniversary of MIJ Wink

Thanks!

Hi all,

since Mutiny in Jonestown is still under review by the Neo-Prog team, I wanted to update this thread to announce the 30th anniversary album, "The Daemons Mock Me While I Sleep" was just released today and is available on SoundCloud at:

The entire album is made up of songs based on HP Lovecraft stories and poems.  For those not familiar with HP Lovecraft, there are wiki pages that give a synopsis of the stories depicted by the songs, "Dagon", "The Colour Out of Space" & "Polaris".  The 2 poems that have been set to music on the album, "Astrophobos" and "Despair" are available on www.hplovecraft.com :-)

Thanks!

Edited by The.Crimson.King - July 28 2017 at 22:15
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2017 at 01:50
 Post Reply Post Reply