Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBent Knee

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2016 at 07:49
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I got the new album a couple of days ago, it's available at Wayside, it's outstanding, probably a step up from the great Shiny Eyed Babies.

Wow, so it's out already?  Thought it was coming out in May.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2016 at 08:05
Wayside is the retail arm of Cuneiform who are releasing the album, typically all Cuneiform albums are available at Wayside 4 weeks ahead of the official release date

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2016 at 20:42
Been hearing reports that Bent Knee went over very well at ROSfest with two standing ovations, a long line for autographs & selling all their merch though some thought they were too RIO (?), great to hear, makes me happy, going to see them in Boston on the 19th for the album release party.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - May 09 2016 at 20:42
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Bucklebutt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2016 at 21:52
They were a breath of fresh air to say the least. Favorite show at RoSfest for both my wife and me. 

Edited by Bucklebutt - May 10 2016 at 19:13
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2016 at 05:09
Originally posted by Bucklebutt Bucklebutt wrote:

They were a breathe of fresh air to say the least. Favorite show at RoSfest for both my wife and me. 

So glad to hear it! I was worried they'd go down like a lead balloon, knowing the mindset of many of the ROSfest hard core of attendees. We'll be seeing them in two weeks at the Orion in Baltimore.

Anyway, have you thought about attending ProgDay? My husband (aka Micky) and I have been going since 2010, and wouldn't miss it for anything in the world. The band announcements usually come a bit late, but the offer is always top notch, and the atmosphere is unique.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2016 at 19:19
Sadly, there were a lot of people who weren't digging them, lots of people were leaving.. which surprised me (this was my first rosfest). I figured that most prog fans were fans of music in general, but many of them seem set in there ways.. but that's a conversation for another place.

I'll be sure to check out ProgDay, first time I've heard about it, thanks! 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2016 at 19:29
They were also all super nice and funny. Got all of their albums autographed after the show. Ben Levin said something along the lines of "in case i ever happen to offend you in the future.. I'll apologize now" and he wrote 'sorry if I ever offend you - ben'. Then later when I was reading all their notes, I notice that the Jessica Kion wrote 'sorry if I ever fart - jessica'. I couldn't stop laughing, you could tell that they were having a ton of fun. 

Also, loving the new album. 

Edited by Bucklebutt - May 10 2016 at 20:05
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2016 at 23:07

Sadly, there were a lot of people who weren't digging them, lots of people were leaving.. which surprised me (this was my first rosfest). I figured that most prog fans were fans of music in general, but many of them seem set in there ways.. but that's a conversation for another place.

Nah, not a lot of people who didn't like them as far as I could see and hear. Some, of course, but at least from my place in the balcony I didn't see any major crowds leaving, and the greater majority of the people I spoke with and know reacted positively to them, many easily having them as the highlight of the festival.

No band will ever be loved by everybody though, that is a fact, and some of the ardent fans of bands like, say, The Strawbs or Zebra, is probably among the ones who will feel Bent Knee to be a tad too challenging. Depending on both age and general taste in music.
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2016 at 23:15
Originally posted by Windhawk Windhawk wrote:

Nah, not a lot of people who didn't like them as far as I could see and hear. Some, of course, but at least from my place in the balcony I didn't see any major crowds leaving, and the greater majority of the people I spoke with and know reacted positively to them, many easily having them as the highlight of the festival.

No band will ever be loved by everybody though, that is a fact, and some of the ardent fans of bands like, say, The Strawbs or Zebra, is probably among the ones who will feel Bent Knee to be a tad too challenging. Depending on both age and general taste in music.

Not too sure about that, there were about 1/2 the amount of people there as there were during Spock's Beard... Many just didn't show and more decided to leave during the show. I definitely took notice of this and was particularly upset by it. 
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2016 at 00:01
Ah, that some didn't show is another thing. That isn't just about the band though. Many regular attendees plan in advance on which bands they are going to see - or not. Especially those of us partying hard need a nap and a longer food break. For many, Bent Knee was that choice this time around. The people who had The Fringe, Strawbs and Comedy of Errors higher on their list of interest chose Bent Knee as the band to not see so that they could have a break.
That's the way it is with all festivals, to my knowledge at least. When you party until 3, 4 or 5 am, a break and an additional nap is needed sometime during the day. Especially for those of us no longer young in body ;-)
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2016 at 17:16

yeah... Progday has been a critical success.. if not a financial one (small is beautiful is its unofficial motto) even in spite of itself. 

I lived for years 20 minutes south of it and had never heard of it till 2006 when I went to my first and fell in love with it.  As Raff notes.. it is unique for a number of reasons. Mainly for being outdoor. It is like a mini Woodstock.  Acid incense and balloons kind of stuff man..  lots of people bring their kids and it is a beautiful setting. It is like a bit of family reunion of friends and one hell of party as attendees and bands stay together, often eat together, and sure do party together.  We've introduced and invited friends to come down and check Progday out.. and most have in turn become regulars. Again as Raff noted.. band annoucement are done much later than most festivals do. To most we go sight unseen. Michael has a 20 year+ track record of bringing in good interesting bands. Some well known.. most not but ALL highly interesting and fun to listen to.

the only real negative can be the heat... sometimes it is nice... sometimes merely bearable.. some years it is f**king HELL LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
pianoman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2016 at 17:44
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

They were a breathe of fresh air to say the least. Favorite show at RoSfest for both my wife and me. 

So glad to hear it! I was worried they'd go down like a lead balloon, knowing the mindset of many of the ROSfest hard core of attendees. We'll be seeing them in two weeks at the Orion in Baltimore.

Anyway, have you thought about attending ProgDay? My husband (aka Micky) and I have been going since 2010, and wouldn't miss it for anything in the world. The band announcements usually come a bit late, but the offer is always top notch, and the atmosphere is unique.

They're playing at Orion with some good friends of mine, Time Columns (great band). The guitarist Kenny Eaton owns a recording studio in Maryland that I have put many studio hours into.

Also, the guys (and gals) in Bent Knee are some of the nicest, approachable people ever. The Brooklyn show was a success to say the least.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2016 at 19:29
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

yeah... Progday has been a critical success.. if not a financial one (small is beautiful is its unofficial motto) even in spite of itself. 

I lived for years 20 minutes south of it and had never heard of it till 2006 when I went to my first and fell in love with it.  As Raff notes.. it is unique for a number of reasons. Mainly for being outdoor. It is like a mini Woodstock.  Acid incense and balloons kind of stuff man..  lots of people bring their kids and it is a beautiful setting. It is like a bit of family reunion of friends and one hell of party as attendees and bands stay together, often eat together, and sure do party together.  We've introduced and invited friends to come down and check Progday out.. and most have in turn become regulars. Again as Raff noted.. band annoucement are done much later than most festivals do. To most we go sight unseen. Michael has a 20 year+ track record of bringing in good interesting bands. Some well known.. most not but ALL highly interesting and fun to listen to.

the only real negative can be the heat... sometimes it is nice... sometimes merely bearable.. some years it is f**king HELL LOL

the real negative for me is a 7h drive, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. I'll definitely keep an eye out for the line-up!
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2016 at 01:55
Thumbs Up I didn't know them. Nice band and fantastic singer. 
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2016 at 08:28
We saw Bent Knee at the Orion Studios yesterday. All I have to say is... WOW! My hands hurt at the end of the show because of all the enthusiastic clapping I did throughout their set. These guys are the future of progressive music (though not necessarily of prog), and all the accolades they are getting are highly deserved - and then some. Hope to see them again soon!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2016 at 08:36
yeah.. I was thinking that last night.  Didn't I hear or read the band sure doesn't consider themselves a prog band. One can hear that in their sound.  Not prog.. not in a traditional sense at least...but they were terribly progressive..  and that is so refreshing and interesting.

yeah my hands were a bit sore as well...  probably would have hurt more if I had not been 2nd hand smoked into a painless state LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2016 at 09:57
Just listened to 'Leak water'....from 'Say So' on you tube...... Can't say it did that much for me though they are certainly talented,,, it was not my cup of tea.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2016 at 10:57
^ they didn't send some people running for the exits at Rosfest for no reason. LOL  The home of limp dick prog and fans of it. An acquired taste perhaps if not inclined to particularly adventurous... ie .. progressive.. music.

I definitely want to hear the interview Rick did with the band yesterday... he told us they touched on something I do find particularly interesting. Women and progressive rock. From the musicians standpoint.
progrockdeepcuts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2016 at 18:55
Legendary performance last night! They threw it DOWN.

Listen to older shows here: mixcloud.com/progrockdeepcuts/
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2016 at 11:29
Gave Say So several digital 'spins' on the cell plus PC.  Some amazing tracks, rising way above Shiny Eyed Babies, and some fairly middling ones.  Here's my review:

Edited by rogerthat - June 02 2016 at 11:30
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>