Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBent Knee

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 19:18
The new album sounds really great!!! Just might have to buy it.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2017 at 19:45
Saw the band on Saturday at a secret gig in Boston where they were filming the new album, same venue as I saw Gutbucket last year, only about 20 invited guests. They played the whole of the new album, sounds like really strong stuff, couple of really high energy bouncy tracks with the band going full tilt plus a couple of slower numbers, nice variety. Had to look round 4 cameramen who were in the bands faces all night but a really excellent night.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2017 at 20:46
They're kind of my "hey I know a famous person" band. I've been in casual contact with Ben over the last two years and I've met Courtney before. 

They're such a talented and unique band, such nice people too!  Big smile

Edited by Thatfabulousalien - April 04 2017 at 20:46
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2017 at 20:53
I saw them at Rosfest. Good band. 

I met them also and they seemed pleasant enough. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 04 2017 at 20:54
Zugzwang View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2017 at 22:46
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Saw the band on Saturday at a secret gig in Boston where they were filming the new album, same venue as I saw Gutbucket last year, only about 20 invited guests. They played the whole of the new album, sounds like really strong stuff, couple of really high energy bouncy tracks with the band going full tilt plus a couple of slower numbers, nice variety. Had to look round 4 cameramen who were in the bands faces all night but a really excellent night.
New album as in an upcoming one, already?
Very exciting if that's the case.

Edit: Thanks. I'll definitely be looking forward to it.

Edited by Zugzwang - April 05 2017 at 15:02
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2017 at 10:24
Ten new tracks for an album later in the year.
Ian

Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2017 at 15:32
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Love this band. Shiny Eyed Babies is one of a few rare rock albums this millennium to genuinely sound unique.
It's going to be tough trumping it, but I am still very much looking forward to the new one. 

Thumbs Up
Terra Australis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2017 at 17:43
Haven't seen them live but live videos are fabulous!
Really looking forward to the new album...
Shiny Eyed Babies is my favourite so far.
Annoyed that the video link above doesn't work anymore.Confused
Allomerus. Music with progressive intent.

http://allomerus.bandcamp.com
Zugzwang View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2017 at 16:08
The band did an in-studio performance in Rochester for WAYO's "Show of Prague." It includes a ~15 minute interview, and a ~45 minute performance featuring 6 songs from their upcoming album.

Setlist is:
1. Terror Bird
2. Leak Water
3. ? (I think it's Time Deer but I'm not sure)
4. Holy Ghost 
5. Insides In
6. Being Human
7. Land Animal
8. The Well
9. Way Too Long

So, in case anyone's curious about what the new album will sound like, you can listen here: https://www.mixcloud.com/show-of-prague/episode-of-bent-knee-may-10-2017/
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2017 at 09:19
I have listened to Land Animal a few times by now and can't but agree with javajeff's review, sadly.  But I don't think the problem is so much one of predictability or formula.  It is that all the lovely tones and textures don't seem to add up to something in the way they did on Shiny Eyed Babies.  This problem was there to some extent on Say So and it's gone even more in the direction of somewhat meandering compositions without enough of the heaviness that made them explosive.

Anyway, I will wait some more time to see if the songs grow on me before reviewing but it is rather underwhelming.  Not a bad album by any means but they got my hopes up so much after Shiny Eyed Babies that it feels disappointing.  The thing is while the band say they are going for instant gratification this time, Shiny Eyed Babies had very catchy hooks and, as alluded to above, more flow.  So it seems that their way of making the music accessible is to tone down the heaviness and darkness. The title track captures the quintessence of Bent Knee but elsewhere it's elusive.
Wounded Land View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2017 at 09:21
An amazing band live with some great material, but I agree that sometimes the "concept" takes over and doesn't let the songs shine through. Regardless, you will not be disappointed by their live set. See them if you can.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2017 at 14:31
I have to agree with Rogerthat, in that both Say So and Land Animal have found me slightly disappointed. The music, the moods, the sound production, the compositions, and the are still stellar--among the best of new artists in the world--but that the impact of each of their songs and these two albums as wholes has been far below that of Shiny Eyed Babies--which has been, to my ears and mind, one of the best albums released since the 1970s. I have, however, found greater connection and appreciation for the new album than than Say So. 

I've shirked at my two opportunities to see the band in my state cuz I still have to travel three to four hours to get there. Plus, their two Wisconsin visits have been during farming season. Hard to get away. (Hard to stay awake that late.) Maybe someday.
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Zugzwang View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2017 at 18:51
My one petty criticism of Land Animal: there's a bit of a drop in intensity after the title track. The last four songs are good but I feel that Boxes would have a much larger impact if it was behind a song like These Hands or Land Animal instead of The Well, which to me sounds like an album closer itself.

Otherwise I don't really view the new album as better or worse than Shiny Eyed Babies. Really depends on what you liked about SEB. The music in Land Animal is less exaggerated (for lack of a better word) than that of SEB, but it's still highly eclectic and dynamic and I don't find myself wanting any more heaviness than there already is. May just be my bias against heavier music.

Related news: from what I've heard, Ben Levin has a bunch of material he's finishing up with. So there should be at least one Ben Levin Group album next year. Additionally, Courtney's solo EP is (finally) being released next month (Though I don't think Courtney's solo material would be much appreciated by the prog community).
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2017 at 19:07
Ben's pretty active, he has a bunch of material out there on bandcamp, I have the Freak Machine album. It's very good, like a darker edgier BK.

Ian

Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2017 at 19:43
I Love You Doggy

(If anyone has been following him recent stuff)
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2017 at 03:30
My fave is also the debut but the most recent Land Animal is slowly opening up to me in a way that Say So never managed to do. I like Say So when I first got it and span it occasionally which seems to be the same story regarding LA...but LA seems to drag me back for more spins.
Unlike previous posters here I don't necessarily miss the heaviness of the debut. I think the novelty factor of it as well as it being the very first thing I heard from the group is part of why it still reigns supreme.
Our favourites are often our first encounters with x band/artist.

It'd be cool if the order of albums were reversed so as SEB was the new one.

Edited by Guldbamsen - October 13 2017 at 03:32
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2017 at 05:53

My fave is also the debut but the most recent Land Animal is slowly opening up to me in a way that Say So never managed to do. I like Say So when I first got it and span it occasionally which seems to be the same story regarding LA...but LA seems to drag me back for more spins.
Unlike previous posters here I don't necessarily miss the heaviness of the debut. I think the novelty factor of it as well as it being the very first thing I heard from the group is part of why it still reigns supreme.

I assume you're talking about Shiny Eyed Babies rather than the debut, SEB was their sophomore release and a big step up from the the debut. I live Say So & Land Animal but SEB may still be my favorite.
Ian

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2017 at 05:58
You assume right. Not sure why I always forget about their real debutEmbarrassed

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2017 at 08:19
people whom like this might also find Major Parkinson, Gåte and Animal Alpha exieting. slight nod to System of a Down as well.

Edited by Icarium - October 13 2017 at 08:19
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2017 at 09:13

At least for me, it's not just the novelty factor but that the melodic progressions on SEB were simpler and more accessible, which made it easier to get into the tracks.  While I welcome the increased complexity on the next two albums, it hasn't yet crystallised into an approach where the melody still has a discernible arc while being complex.  It probably will happen down the line and I am going to be very patient with a band as talented as Bent Knee.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>