Topic ClosedDragons in Prog rock.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 08:00
Two things:

1) There is a lot of excellent, very well-written fantasy around - either involving dragons or not. As a keen reader of good-quality fantasy, I take exception to seeing it used as a byword for cheesiness.
2) As other people said earlier in the thread, if you want to find dragons aplenty, look to heavy metal rather than progressive rock. For all the stereotypes perpetuated by certain press, I find more sci-fi than traditional fantasy in prog. Ah, and anything inspired by Greek or other mythologies is NOT fantasy.
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 10:01
Grendel is one of my favourite tracks.
No dragons in it. As has been said, it's more "myth" than "fantasy". Dragons tend to belong in Boris Vallejo "art" and are more the male equivalent of little girls' unicorns. ;-)

BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 10:58
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Grendel is one of my favourite tracks.
No dragons in it. As has been said, it's more "myth" than "fantasy". Dragons tend to belong in Boris Vallejo "art" and are more the male equivalent of little girls' unicorns. ;-)

Now I definitely disagree with this. The horn of the unicorn is a phallic symbol, and that the mythological unicorn likes to put it's horn on the lap of a virgin has an obvious sexual symbolism. Are you going to tell me there is some sexual symbolism in a guy mounting a dragon? Wink

Edited by BaldFriede - January 26 2016 at 10:59

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Replayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 11:01
Originally posted by Replayer Replayer wrote:

I remember reading some out of touch reviewer complaining that Marillion sings about goblins just because the band was originally named after Tolkien's Silmarillion. The only fantasy-inspired song they did was Grendel, and that was based on a postmodernist novel adaptation of the Anglo-Saxon epic poem Beowulf.

Just to be clarify, I did read Beowulf (in a edition that included the Old English version on the even-numbered pages) and am aware that it predates the fantasy genre by around a thousand years. I should have chosen my words better and said "mythology-inspired" rather than "fantasy-inspired". The point I was making is that it was the only song even remotely Tolkien-related the band ever released.

American author James Gardner's novel Grendel is what inspired Fish to write the lyrics.

Anyway, I found that "goblins" story here (I think it was also mentioned on the band's Wikipedia page at some point):
'Following the renewed media interest in the band generated by the song, BBC presenter Jonathan Ross described the band as "a prog-rock band that sing about goblins", to which Marillion's manager Lucy Jordache responded: "Do you think I'd be going round with someone in a pointy hat?" Guitarist Steve Rothery commented: "We recorded Script for a Jester's Tear 22 years ago. I think that was when Ross had his own hair.”'
I thought Rothery's comment sounded rather defensive and dismissive of Script for a Jester's Tear, which I still consider one of the band's best albums.

Edited by Replayer - January 26 2016 at 11:03
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 11:21

I remember reading some out of touch reviewer complaining that Marillion sings about goblins just because the band was originally named after Tolkien's Silmarillion. The only fantasy-inspired song they did was Grendel, and that was based on a postmodernist novel adaptation of the Anglo-Saxon epic poem Beowulf.

Just to be clarify, I did read Beowulf (in a edition that included the Old English version on the even-numbered pages) and am aware that it predates the fantasy genre by around a thousand years. I should have chosen my words better and said "mythology-inspired" rather than "fantasy-inspired". The point I was making is that it was the only song even remotely Tolkien-related the band ever released.

American author James Gardner's novel Grendel is what inspired Fish to write the lyrics.

Anyway, I found that "goblins" story here (I think it was also mentioned on the band's Wikipedia page at some point):
'Following the renewed media interest in the band generated by the song, BBC presenter Jonathan Ross described the band as "a prog-rock band that sing about goblins", to which Marillion's manager Lucy Jordache responded: "Do you think I'd be going round with someone in a pointy hat?" Guitarist Steve Rothery commented: "We recorded Script for a Jester's Tear 22 years ago. I think that was when Ross had his own hair.”'
I thought Rothery's comment sounded rather defensive and dismissive of Script for a Jester's Tear, which I still consider one of the band's best albums.

I always considered "Fugazi" to be a lot better than "Script for a Jester's Tear". Actually "Fugazi" is the only Marillion album I like. There is in my opinion nothing really memorable on "Script for a Jester's Tear".

twalsh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 12:45
Yngwie Malmsteen Trilogy album cover

This is only prog-related, but I couldn't resist!
More heavy prog, please!
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 12:52
Neal Morse's Sola Scriptura album has many references to the dragon from the book of Revelation.

Also there is a song about a dragon called Leviathon on his album Lifeline.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 13:01
Originally posted by AlanB AlanB wrote:

Neal Morse's Sola Scriptura album has many references to the dragon from the book of Revelation.

Also there is a song about a dragon called Leviathon on his album Lifeline.

the dragon on "Lifeline" is probably called "Leviathan", not "Leviathon" (I don't know "Lifeline", so this is just a guess)

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 18:24
Does cover art count?  I think there is a plethora of dragon-art on album covers...for example, dragon motifs literally drench the cover of KC's "Lizard!" 

Edited by cstack3 - January 26 2016 at 18:28
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 18:37
Um, the "dragons" on the cover of "Lizard" are actually peacocks.

All images on Lizard refer to the lyrics. There is not a single dragon in the lyrics. But there is Prince Rupert's peacock who brings tales.

Edited by BaldFriede - January 26 2016 at 18:42

timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 19:12
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 21:48
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Another obvious one that comes to mind

Asia - First album

And now you find yourself in '82

The disco hot-spots hold no charm for you

You can't concern yourself with bigger things

You catch the pearl and ride the dragon's wings

Yeah, the dragon is mentioned on that song... however, the song has just about nothing to do with fantasy anyway.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 21:54
About the Fantasy and Mythology thing, I would think they make the same point for prog detractors that want to use it to demerit the genre... mainly using it in asociation with cheesy lyrics and geeky guys. Yeah, in general mythology could be considered as more tasteful than fantasy, but in the end I like both for the same reasons, and mythology is actually fantasy, though at some point it was considered religion or whatever. However, they both are about superhuman heroes and fantastical creature that don't exist. And, for example, where would you place King Artur's tales? Mythology or Fantasy? I would think it's got elements from both.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 21:56
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

I always considered "Fugazi" to be a lot better than "Script for a Jester's Tear". Actually "Fugazi" is the only Marillion album I like. There is in my opinion nothing really memorable on "Script for a Jester's Tear".

I actually don't know the whole album Fugazi as such, but have heard most of it's songs from live albums, and I'm afraid I haven't been much impressed by them. Except for the title song, which has some very memorable moments, and a few bit annoying ones, I can't really recall much from the other songs... except that I didn't really like them so much. On the other hand, I really love Script, which I find is full of beautiful and memorable moments.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 23:34
No one mentioned Jade Warrior - Three-Horned Dragon King

BTW, I love mythology. I used to skip my lunch, go to the library and read mythology. I love fantasy too. I wouldn't mind if there were more fantasy elements in Prog. Fantasy is actually often a great vehicle for sophisticated themes. Elric, for instance, was about alcoholism.

Edited by HackettFan - January 31 2016 at 00:03
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2016 at 00:20
From the 2008 Jade Warrior album, Now, Colin Henson created a masterful lyric for a song called Journey. He was talking about the band's futile attempts to make it big. Part of it went:

I remember when we rode out righteous for a noble cause.
Fragile beauty that we loved and liberated from the dragon's jaws.
Highly unlikely that we'll ever rid ourselves of all these old tattoos and scars.
Highly unlikely that we'll ever find salvation in the stars.
And if you want a happy ending to this melancholy tale.
You'll find it written on the wall in blood right there above the Holy Grail.

Good stuff!

Edited by HackettFan - January 27 2016 at 09:33
David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2016 at 05:33
There is of course the New Zealand band Dragon (here in PA) who despite their name are not known for thier fantasy lyrics.  Their first quite prog-oriented album Universal Radio also had a song Patina which mentions dragons:
In dark castles
Are maidens chained awaay
Dragons guard the entrance
To the castle gate
Patina is actually one of the better songs on the Universal Radio album, although I wouldn't recommend either this album or the band in general if you are hoping for more lyrics such as the above ...

Smile
Seasons Of Change - weekly programme on community radio: http://seasonsofchangeradio.blogspot.com.au/
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2016 at 05:59
not really a dragon, just a newt, but one of dragon proportions
"Der Atommolch" by Guru Guru from the album "Hey Du!

especially if you understand the German lyrics.

translation of the lyrics:

"allow me, this is the German Atomic Newt speaking. I live in the neutron accelerator of the fast breeder at Kalkar. you brainless fools, turned down, dangerous is the cart you sit on. there will be more and more radioactivity. oh people, the things you are going to experience! first hundreds of thousands have to bite the dust before the financial fools will understand they have to change their minds, for else they will turn black at their own feet. but they build another nuclear plant in Frankfurt. and they build another three nuclear plants in Dortmund. and they build another five nuclear plants in Hamburg. and soon they will build a nuclear plant in your city. and they build, our smart ones - ha-ha-ha! fools, brainless fools, ha-ha-ha, ha-ha-ha, ha-ha-ha"

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2016 at 06:37
Can a Kelpie be considered a Dragon? Or at least a cousin?
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2016 at 07:55
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Another obvious one that comes to mind

Asia - First album

And now you find yourself in '82

The disco hot-spots hold no charm for you

You can't concern yourself with bigger things

You catch the pearl and ride the dragon's wings

Yeah, the dragon is mentioned on that song... however, the song has just about nothing to do with fantasy anyway.
Disagree. The thought that this "Prog supergroup" was anything more than a thinly disguised pop group is the biggest fantasy of all. LOL
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>