Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2016 at 00:53
Great work. I was in suspense.Clap

Originally posted by sublime220 sublime220 wrote:

I'm still shocked that I wasn't the only one who had Pure Guava on the list, but zrav came through. Nice that someone else has one of the best albums of all time on their list. Handshake

4-track heaven!
Magma America Great Make Again
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2016 at 07:12
So De-Loused (#21) is the highest-ranked modern album (modern in this case meaning post-1990). Disappointing really considering we are in the Second Golden Age of Prog.

Still, I have four of the top 5 (all except #1).

Thanks for running this, kazza.
DDPascalDD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2016 at 08:20
What a great list! Thanks to everyone and mainly Kazza3 Clap

PF deserved to win this IMO (favourite band) but I didn't expect 3 albums this high! LOL
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2016 at 09:14
Just wanted to login to also thank you, Kazza3! Great job! I really enjoyed watching the results! Clap 
addictedtoprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2016 at 09:39
That was loads of hard work. Thanks Kazza3
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2016 at 10:22
Thanks a lot for this!
I'm happy enough that Animals won the Pink Floyd -internal contest, even though it didn't make it to number 1.
I'm surprised as some others about Abbey Road - I wouldn't even put it in my Beatles top 3 (Revolver - Sgt. Pepper - Rubber Soul) and it regularly gives me the feeling that I totally don't get some stuff. I don't have any clue why people would vote for this. Same with Ziggy Stardust; every time I give it a chance, it makes me wonder why why why some rate it so highly.
Just while I'm writing this I think I should listen to these again and find out - but I failed often enough, I guess.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2016 at 10:26
By the way, mainstream rock classics from the 60s and 70s are well appreciated here... but was there a single vote for Depeche Mode? Well, not from me, but as somebody who started to get into music about 1980  and is surrounded by people who think this is one of the best bands ever... I'd have expected at least something.
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2016 at 10:32
I had DM's Violator on my list but was near the bottom I think.
Magma America Great Make Again
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2016 at 11:12
Heh...none of the albums in the top ten feature in my listLOL
Oh well I already had a sneaking suspicion when I saw my number one at 351.

Nice one Kazza. Grab a free bj in the PA lounge.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2016 at 11:33
Interesting that nobody voted the overall #1 as their personal #1. Also, I'm the only one who voted for A Dramatic Turn of Events. You guys need to get to hearing that! It's a refreshing masterpiece!
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2016 at 12:41
Originally posted by RoeDent RoeDent wrote:

Interesting that nobody voted the overall #1 as their personal #1.

Interesting point.  Does that make CTTE the least-objectionable prog masterpiece?  Because I had five Yes albums on my list ahead of it, yet it made it to a number of lists and notably, to a number of top-ten rankings.  Whereas DSOTM wasn't even on my list - it's an album that I couldn't care less if I never hear again, and it appears that other top ten albums arouse mixed feelings - but CTTE everyone seems to like a fair amount, even if it isn't their top pick. 

I'm still in shock that GFTO was close to 200, yet the other five of Yes' best six run of albums were all ranked 25 or higher.  How did that one get left behind?

Nice work on these lists, it was great fun to read them but I expect a whole lot of work to compile them, particularly the final one.  Thanks! Hug
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2016 at 12:42
Abbey Road in the top ten doesn't surprise me at all - I think it's the Beatles' best album, and far better than the drastically over-rated Sergeant Pepper.  The second side is sheer genius.
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2016 at 14:11
Don't you dare talk bad about Pepper!

If there is one album I consider drastically over-rated, it's easily Revolver. It may make my top 200 albums of all time but they had so many better albums then that one

Sgt>Magical>Abbey>White>Rubber>Revolver
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2016 at 15:05
^Well, I suppose this is just another "overrated" issue, but if you take away the fact that Sergeant Pepper was supposedly so groundbreaking, there are many songs on the album that just aren't that good. Fixing a Hole? She's Leaving Home? With a Little Help from my Friends? Lovely Rita?  Honestly, if these songs were on any other album, would you really ever listen to them?
A Day in the Life, absolutely. A brilliant song, and I'm always glad to hear For the Benefit of Mr. Kite, but otherwise - meh.

Revolver, on the other hand, is just great, ditto the White Album and Abbey Road.

Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2016 at 16:23
I love Sgt. Pepper, I think it's a cohesive record. Rubber Soul, Revolver and Magical Mystery Tour are better than Abbey Road as well.
I can't call an album "a masterpiece" if I regularly skip half of it.
The White Album is great, but "Revolution 9" diminishes it.
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2016 at 16:39
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

Abbey Road in the top ten doesn't surprise me at all - I think it's the Beatles' best album, and far better than the drastically over-rated Sergeant Pepper.  The second side is sheer genius.

Agreed

Abbey Road > Revolver > White Album > Magical Mistery Tour > Sgt. Pepper's > Let it Be > Rubber Soul for me.
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2016 at 17:59

Interesting that nobody voted the overall #1 as their personal #1. Also, I'm the only one who voted for A Dramatic Turn of Events. You guys need to get to hearing that! It's a refreshing masterpiece!

That album should have been named An Undramatic Continuation of Everything We've Done Before, there was nothing new on there but a rehash of their 90's sound. I listened to it about 2 or 3 times, got really bored and have not touched it since.

I'm also one of the few that didn't vote for Close to the Edge, a boring album from a boring band IMO but I'm not surprised to see it at #1 since it's always been really popular, even if I was rooting for Animals to get the top spot.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2016 at 18:22
My #1 Univers Zero - Ceux De Dehors came in 222nd
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2016 at 19:11

3 of the top 5 albums were no one's personal #1.

More on probably being 'the least rejectable':

The highest ranked album here, which no one had in their top 10 is

35. Led Zeppelin – Houses of the Holy

966 pts              10 votes                                                62

(#21 Polymorphia)

(It was not even on my list.)

Also I am surprised that I was the only one who had

11. King Crimson - Red

1848 pts            16 votes                                                1

(#1 Formentera Lady)

in my top 10, and still it made #11, which means many people had it on their list quite highly
ranked, even if it is not their favourite.

Kazza3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2016 at 20:08

Interesting point.  Does that make CTTE the least-objectionable prog masterpiece?  Because I had five Yes albums on my list ahead of it, yet it made it to a number of lists and notably, to a number of top-ten rankings.  Whereas DSOTM wasn't even on my list - it's an album that I couldn't care less if I never hear again, and it appears that other top ten albums arouse mixed feelings - but CTTE everyone seems to like a fair amount, even if it isn't their top pick. 

Eh. I don't think it suggests anything as strong as that- CttE had 4 #2 votes, which is an extremely strong performance, and all of the other top albums had similarly large numbers of votes under 10 or 20. Same goes for anything else with surprisingly few #1 or #2 votes. For example, Animals' highest vote was #4, but it had 5/18 votes in the top 10, 10/18 in the top 20, and 15/18 in the top 30, all of which are very high rankings in the scheme of things.

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Thanks a lot for this!
I'm happy enough that Animals won the Pink Floyd -internal contest, even though it didn't make it to number 1. 
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

even if I was rooting for Animals to get the top spot. 
Animals was actually in the #1 spot for the majority of the time (I was adding lists as they were posted), which would have been fun, but #2's not bad.

So De-Loused (#21) is the highest-ranked modern album (modern in this case meaning post-1990). Disappointing really considering we are in the Second Golden Age of Prog.
Disappointing because there are no post-1990 (or post-1981) albums in the top 20? Yeah. It's interesting- one of the general results of this poll in comparison with the earlier ones isn't unexpected- a pretty significant drop in modern metal and heavy stuff, when Dream Theater, Opeth, Tool and Porcupine Tree used to be very strongly represented (In Absentia was in the top 10 in 2008). But it seems with those bands dropping away, they haven't really been replaced by other modern bands, and so the performance of modern bands in these polls has seemingly lessened over time.

Of course I'm just saying all of this based on my impressions, I haven't actually gone through and found the numbers to back me up here.

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

By the way, mainstream rock classics from the 60s and 70s are well appreciated here... but was there a single vote for Depeche Mode? Well, not from me, but as somebody who started to get into music about 1980  and is surrounded by people who think this is one of the best bands ever... I'd have expected at least something.
Yeah, zravkapt had the only vote for Depeche Mode. Different crowds. And yeah, the strength of the classic rock vote, while they're obviously well-liked around here, was kind of surprising.

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Nice one Kazza. Grab a free bj in the PA lounge.
Hah.

She's Leaving Home? With a Little Help from my Friends?Honestly, if these songs were on any other album, would you really ever listen to them?
Absolutely.

Edited by Kazza3 - February 06 2016 at 20:11
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>