FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNektar reveiws

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nektar reveiws
    Posted: January 27 2016 at 17:42
I have not seen anyone post reviews on the band Nektar , I am pretty sure they still tour as a group ! Those guys put on a really impressive live performance and would be interested in attending a show of theirs on the next tour when and if it comes around.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2016 at 12:06

Hi,

Nektar, is one of the bands that over the years, I loved the most. However, they fell apart and got burned out at one time, and never really recovered from it, and the material suffered, but it was not surprising, considering the lead guitarist, Roye Albrighton, was also the lead singer and a very important axl in the wheel that drove this band, and the amount of energy and attention and care, and then each and every concert in America, they did ... you could see that this was going to kill the band sooner or later.

And it did ... it's on the last song in "Recycled". The next album was material that they already had, maybe slightly enhanced to make it seem newer but many of the pieces were already on bootlegs and the many live albums that came out after this, which verified that the material was already there.

I, recently, picked up their latest album, and I almost cried listening to it. Maybe i was too excited, and just over my head and heels listening to "Tab in the Ocean" in 1972, and then "Remember the Future" in 1974 ... and absolutely jumping for joy listening to "Recycled", and then, FINALLY (the import was very hard to get then --!!!) "Sounds Like This".

All in all, this band was as good in concert as they were on the album, and the differences were minor, and when you heard one, you basically heard the other, and few bands were that good on both "stages'. Nektar, for me, was one of the few, that you knew what you were getting, and it was firey, exciting and tremendous, with a fantastic vibe from beginning to the end, and a light show that was 2nd to none.

Sadly, things like the "light theater" were no longer appreciated in America, and it got pasted in several reviews including their first tour through LA (Santa Monica Civic) when it was reviewed as pretentious and boring and repetitive. And sadly, what was one of the important parts of the music and the show and the concept, got wasted and no one paid attention anymore, and the show now was brought down to the Chuck Berry level, without a stage show or care to the details in the music because Chuck only looks at the young ladies!

But, while it lasted, and it meant something, it was bright, exciting, lovely and one of teh best bands around. And those shows ... yeah ... you hope to get one band these days that can do a show half that good, without all the commercial BS around it!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Jellybeantiger View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2016 at 20:23
Thought they sounded like Wishbone Ash with an organ and the singer sounded like Bill Oddie with The Byrds backing him lol.

Some great music but alot of twee stuff that makes you think immediately of Spinal Tap.
No wonder they didn't get as big as bands like Tull or Genesis.

I have their double vinyl,Thru The Ears which I bought at a second hand record store in the 80s.
Still sounds great and they do some improved versions of their studio songs.

Just a bit on the twee sound for me.

Vocals let the group down imo.

RemmemberThe Fuuuture lol.

Trying to spread the good prog to mud eared Aussies.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2016 at 01:54
Originally posted by Rockin rob Rockin rob wrote:

I have not seen anyone post reviews on the band Nektar , I am pretty sure they still tour as a group ! Those guys put on a really impressive live performance and would be interested in attending a show of theirs on the next tour when and if it comes around.
I saw Nektar about two or three months ago in Israel and it was such a great show. Originally I didn't want to go because I was never a big fan of the band, I have their first two albums and although I like them I was never that impressed. It's a good thing my friend talked me into going because I came out a real fan!
The playing was tight and the material was really good, I didn't know most of the songs and still had a great time, I think they played one or two songs from their recent albums and it was also very good. It occurred to me then that you don't get to see that often this type of guitar players, those "70's" guitarists are just different than the rest, I must say Roye Albrighton was on fire, every solo of his sent me straight to heaven.

So don't miss this show and definitely if you're already a fan.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2016 at 09:46
Hi,

I could pop a review since I saw them twice in their heyday ... and I have their DVD at the Nearfest (I think), but all in all, the whole thing was so sad, that I simply don't feel good adding something that is not right, or great about them. It was like one of your best friends forever. Excellent work!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Eradicus View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2017 at 01:17
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Nektar, is one of the bands that over the years, I loved the most. However, they fell apart and got burned out at one time, and never really recovered from it, and the material suffered, but it was not surprising, considering the lead guitarist, Roye Albrighton, was also the lead singer and a very important axl in the wheel that drove this band, and the amount of energy and attention and care, and then each and every concert in America, they did ... you could see that this was going to kill the band sooner or later.

And it did ... it's on the last song in "Recycled". The next album was material that they already had, maybe slightly enhanced to make it seem newer but many of the pieces were already on bootlegs and the many live albums that came out after this, which verified that the material was already there.

I, recently, picked up their latest album, and I almost cried listening to it. Maybe i was too excited, and just over my head and heels listening to "Tab in the Ocean" in 1972, and then "Remember the Future" in 1974 ... and absolutely jumping for joy listening to "Recycled", and then, FINALLY (the import was very hard to get then --!!!) "Sounds Like This".

All in all, this band was as good in concert as they were on the album, and the differences were minor, and when you heard one, you basically heard the other, and few bands were that good on both "stages'. Nektar, for me, was one of the few, that you knew what you were getting, and it was firey, exciting and tremendous, with a fantastic vibe from beginning to the end, and a light show that was 2nd to none.

Sadly, things like the "light theater" were no longer appreciated in America, and it got pasted in several reviews including their first tour through LA (Santa Monica Civic) when it was reviewed as pretentious and boring and repetitive. And sadly, what was one of the important parts of the music and the show and the concept, got wasted and no one paid attention anymore, and the show now was brought down to the Chuck Berry level, without a stage show or care to the details in the music because Chuck only looks at the young ladies!

But, while it lasted, and it meant something, it was bright, exciting, lovely and one of teh best bands around. And those shows ... yeah ... you hope to get one band these days that can do a show half that good, without all the commercial BS around it!

As you rightly described it, RECYCLED is the glorious and unexpected masterpiece at the end of a stellar run of albums (Eye/Ocean/Future/Sounds) just when you think they're running out of steam. I wish I'd seen them live. 
hieronymous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2017 at 17:30
I wish I had seen them too. The light show is somewhat legendary - I wonder what it was like? I remember seeing the Allman Bros. in the early '90s when they had their comeback - they had the oil and water style thing going on behind them and I was amazed how cool and contemporary it looked. Phish has always had a very impressive light show as well - in fact, the lighting guy was like the 5th member and they used to say that if they got lost they would look at the lights to get back on track!

I love Tab & RTF since I first heard them around 1990 - I got into Recycled and Journey to the Center of the Eye more recently. One album that I'm actually kind of disappointed by is Live in New York - to me it sounds ponderous compared to the original studio versions. That could just be me though.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2017 at 19:20
Since this post was started Roye Albrighton unfortunately has passed away. As such it's unlikely that Nektar will continue but I guess you never know. 

I saw Nektar three times live. The first was at Nearfest. The second was at Rosfest and the third was with Wishbone Ash(who were headlining). It should have been Nektar headlining but whatever. 

The thing with Nektar is that each time I saw them they were not as good as the previous time with the last time being technically their worst. They were still good though but that first Nearfest show in 2002 was spectacular and one of the best live shows I've ever seen. The light show and slide show(pictures in background)in particular were cool. I even met the band and had them autograph a couple of cds. 

These days Nektar seem a bit overlooked especially with the younger prog fans. It's unfortunate because once upon a time they were up there with most of the other "second tier" prog bands from that time period. I would say anyone who wants to explore bands similar to Meddle period Floyd should put Nektar near the top of that list. 
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2017 at 03:37
Saw them live on the Evolution tour and Caravan opened for them.  I didn't have any Caravan in my collection and now I have a couple. I've got the two live DVDs, which are excellent. Alas we lost Roye last year.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Post Reply Post Reply