Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedjethro tull stand up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2016 at 10:25
I've always felt that Tull was a better bluesy folk rock band than prog band.  The first three albums are my favorites, especially the first two.....Mick Abrams made the first a blooze rock classic, then the Bloodywyn Pig album took that a step further.  This Was also has that blooze feel but is a bit more arty, then Benefit solidifies that early mix that was the precursor of what the prog Tull became. 
No slam against the full blown prog Tull, but things were much more interesting in the early days.
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2016 at 14:57
^ I think I have to agree with you....I like the earlier albums better ....after that they became 'different' in some ways, though many of the later ones like Minstrel, Songs, and Heavy Horses still have that bluesy folk rock vibe.
Most of the PA members rave about TAAB and Passion Play but imho those are not all that interesting to me and are overblown.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2016 at 02:42
Obviously in my Top Five, right below Thick As A Brick, on par with Aqualung and right above Benefit and Heavy Horses.

And I just realize that all five of those albums have a pastoral feel to them.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2016 at 02:45
Benefit pastoral?  You must be stoned.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2016 at 02:51
Quite sober really. I get the pastoral vibe from "With You There To Help Me", "For Michael Collins, Jeffery And Me", "Sossity, You're A Woman", "Alive And Well And Living In", possibly "Inside" and "A Time For Everything", and (if you include the bonus tracks) "Witches Promise". 

Edited by KingCrInuYasha - July 20 2016 at 02:52
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2016 at 04:18
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

^ I think I have to agree with you....I like the earlier albums better ....after that they became 'different' in some ways, though many of the later ones like Minstrel, Songs, and Heavy Horses still have that bluesy folk rock vibe.
Most of the PA members rave about TAAB and Passion Play but imho those are not all that interesting to me and are overblown.

AFAIAC, FWIW and IMHO, Tull kind of changed after TAAB...

You can sense it in the sonics but also in the attitude...

Tull had roughly an increase of popularity with ever new album (well maybe Benefit was a slight plateau after Stand Up)... and you can feel the band going beyond itself (further "out there" with every new album (including the APP and D'Isaster/War Child fiasco), but APP 's bad reception both critically and salewise (APP still sold well, but not nearly as well as the previous two)

Things were never the same for Anderson... Before APP, he could do no wrong, but APP changed that.

Sonically, the band's sound was always round and warm/happy (with the possible exception of some tracks on Benefit) and the best example of that is Stand Up... with War Child and especially Minstrel, the sound goes colder and more square

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2016 at 11:34
I have to disagree to some extent; I think the Tull of 1976 - 1978 was closer in spirit to Stand Up than the 1973 - 1975 period.
dilburt View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2016 at 22:47
Stand Up was an extremely unique album and has always been one of my favorites by Tull. Mick Abrahams was the original guitar player and reportedly the chief song writer prior to Stand Up and if you've listened to "This Was" I think you will agree it was a very different band. Stand Up was the first album with Martin Barre and probably Ian Anderson's first album with full creative control which may be why it's so unique.

It's hard for me to say Stand Up was their best album but in many ways I have to agree that it's my favorite.

D
A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2016 at 23:32
Stand Up is just such a pure album. It's very sincere, relaxing, and easy to listen to. One of my favorite Tull songs is Reasons For Waiting, it always gives me shivers and really makes me think. Such a pleasent love song off such an amazing album
User Banned for this Post
Terrapin Station View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 04:19
Killer album, but for me not in their top five. Top ten maybe. I also like Benefit more than it. But my two favorite Tull albums are easily Songs From the Wood and Heavy Horses. Third would be Live - Bursting Out, because it draws so heavily from my top two and I love the performances on it--especially Barriemore Barlow kicks ass on that live album.
Watchmaker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 10:00
A very good album indeed, but between Stand Up and Benefit I choose the latter. Such an underrated album, mainly because Aqualung came after and changed everything. Also, is it only me or does anyone else find the general quality of the sound in Stand Up lacking? I hope Steven Wilson works his magic and fixes what can be fixed (although I highly doubt that).
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 11:57
Nope, I hardly rate Stand Up at all. To me it's their second worst album after This Was, and JT is (was) more or less my favourite band.

To elaborate: This Was is mainly a blues album, and blues usually sends me running for the hills anyway. A personal thing, but there it is. Short and sweet.

Stand up was a lot better, the blues influence is gone and it's very diverse. Now, I have to admit that for the time it was sensational, a lot of the styles represented here hadn't been heard before in this form, but when I listen to it today, it's aged very, very badly. Jeez, does it sound old! To my ears it's only listenable because the tunes have been with me for decades now. That notwithstanding, cudos to IA for trying out loads of daring stuff for the time.

No, the real JT for me starts with Benefit where even today, especially on the anniversary edition with cleaned up sound, it still floors me even today. This is where JT's string of incredible albums started, right up until Crest of a Knave, after which IA, in addition to his voice, had now lost the ability to write tunes. But then again, I don't care because I know of no other band that was able to produce a string of 14 studio albums that I personally rate amongst my favouruíte albums of all time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12