Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Maurizio Fabrizio (RPI -Rock Progressivo Italiano)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMaurizio Fabrizio (RPI -Rock Progressivo Italiano)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Maurizio Fabrizio (RPI -Rock Progressivo Italiano)
    Posted: January 30 2016 at 10:08
  • Maurizio Fabrizio (Milan, 1952) is an italian musician and songwriter.

He is mostly known for his lengthy collaboration with many italian pop singers (Angelo Branduardi, Mia Martini, Mina, Antonello Venditti, etc...) having penned many successes of these artists. His relationship with Branduardi was particularly intense (he usually appeared as a second guitarist in many of his records).

However, being an accomplished multi-instrumentalist, his career has also included various "less commercial" episodes. Apart from releasing several albums himself in a songrwriting style (and various soundtracks) he also has a full-blown Progressive Rock album to his name. And the quality is extremely high!

Released in 1978, "Movimenti nel Cielo" is probably THE hidden jewel of RPI you've never heard of (not like those so called "rarities" with no musical substance hyped for collectors' purposes). Tongue

The album is an "astral suite" for Prog Rock group and orchestra (the prestigious Scala Theatre orchestra!!). The result is a very refined and lush work, mixing in a miracolously harmonious way Italian Prog Rock influences (Banco, PFM) with mediterranean folk, space rock themes and classical arrangements.
Both technically flawless and evocative, the album just oozes class and an aura of serene enthusiasm.
Additionally, it has aged quite well in my opinion.

Sadly the album was not promoted properly because of contractual issues with the recording label.
Even more sadly, it has never been released on CD as far as I'm aware, again because of controversies over the rights. An unlucky album for sure. It is relatively common to find LP reprints on the web, though.
Edit: it has also been released as Cd, but only within the Progressive Italia - Gli anni '70 vol.6 box.

Three of the most significant tracks:

Movimenti Nel Cielo (title track)

Sputnik Suite

Movenze Degli Anelli Di Saturno

links: 

Probably never considered for inclusion because of its rarity? I think it fits nicely in the genre, the merits of the 1978 album alone would justify its entry in my opinion. 

Edited by Luca Pacchiarini - January 30 2016 at 10:36
Skalla-Grim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2016 at 10:43
Originally posted by Luca Pacchiarini Luca Pacchiarini wrote:

Sadly the album was not promoted properly because of contractual issues with the recording label.
Even more sadly, it has never been released on CD as far as I'm aware, again because of controversies over the rights. An unlucky album for sure. It is relatively common to find LP reprints on the web, though.
Edit: it has also been released as Cd, but only within the Progressive Italia - Gli anni '70 vol.6 box.

I have that box. Movimenti nel cielo is a wonderful album. There are really some jewels on the "Progressive Italia" box sets, specially the Sensations Fix albums. I also like Fabrizio's "Azzurri orizzonti" which isn't really prog but beautiful songs nevertheless.
"4/4 - That's 5/4 minus one." - Don Ellis (1934-1978)
 Post Reply Post Reply