Topic ClosedThe Motorsport Thread 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2016 at 16:31
Originally posted by MillsLayne MillsLayne wrote:

Jimmie Johnson won his 7th championship today.  I'm so bummed right now...

It is definitely a major accomplishment and although I was rooting for Edwards I'm certainly not upset by the results.

That said, I definitely give more credence to the other two guys who have 7 championships.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2016 at 16:45
^Oh yeah, for sure.  I can't knock Johnson for his championships since he's winning them by the rules set for every one in the field.  But, for anyone that is tired of it, it was just a horribly disappointing way to end the season.  I can't wait for February to get here now...
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2016 at 09:19
Hamilton really outdid himself in being a massive dick during those last laps.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2016 at 14:34
NICO!!!!! Big smileClap
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2016 at 14:35
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

No. If he really wanted to be a dick he would have tried to cause a crash, as it was backing Rosberg into Vettel and Verstappen was his only chance at winning the title, it didn't come off but he played the game and I imagine that pretty much every other driver out there would have tried the same in Lewis position. As it was Hamilton didn't really cross a line, he backed him up but didn't get silly about it, they scored a 1-2 and Rosberg is champion.

And congratulations to Rosberg, I was all ready to complain that the engine failure in Malaysia was what settled the title, but Rosbergs driven better this year than I've ever seen from him and capitalised on Hamiltons poor starts and the few poor races he's had brilliantly, a deserving champion.

And goodbye to Jensen Button, for the first time in 18 years he'll not be on the grid next year. I think Alonso and Raikkonen are all thats left from that generation.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

EddieRUKiddingVarese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2016 at 15:09
Hamilton can't help himself-  he is a dick

Go Ricciardo - next year anyway
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2016 at 16:49
Yeah...great driver, top tier talent without question, but as a person...Lewis is uh, not a glowing example.

I honestly believed Nico would not hold on, especially after slipping mid season, so I am impressed. 
Wow....no Jenson. That will be very very weird indeed. Shame it had to end like this. Went from thinking he's a joke and average driver to earning a good bit of respect for him. 

Congrats to Ricciardo for being best of the rest, as well as Verstappen for really excelling in his new ride. Nice top 10s for Perez, Bottas, Hulk and Alonso...never thought I'd be happy he managed 10th placeLOLCry

Edited by JJLehto - November 27 2016 at 16:53
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2016 at 07:37
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

No. If he really wanted to be a dick he would have tried to cause a crash, as it was backing Rosberg into Vettel and Verstappen was his only chance at winning the title, it didn't come off but he played the game and I imagine that pretty much every other driver out there would have tried the same in Lewis position. As it was Hamilton didn't really cross a line, he backed him up but didn't get silly about it, they scored a 1-2 and Rosberg is champion.

And congratulations to Rosberg, I was all ready to complain that the engine failure in Malaysia was what settled the title, but Rosbergs driven better this year than I've ever seen from him and capitalised on Hamiltons poor starts and the few poor races he's had brilliantly, a deserving champion.

And goodbye to Jensen Button, for the first time in 18 years he'll not be on the grid next year. I think Alonso and Raikkonen are all thats left from that generation.
+1 (x 2). Louis did everything he could, without putting Nico or both cars in danger, in order to win the Championship. A great driver and Nico is a great champion!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2016 at 08:09
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

+1 (x 2). Louis did everything he could, without putting Nico or both cars in danger, in order to win the Championship. A great driver and Nico is a great champion!
He got multiple orders from the team throughout the race to pick up the pace.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2016 at 10:53

He got multiple orders from the team throughout the race to pick up the pace.

Which amounted to them asking him to give up on his title. Mercedes cared about making sure they had a 1-2 but I don't think there was any chance that Lewis was going to loose that race as Rosberg could never get close enough to attack on the long straights and the Merc has an inherant pace advantage over the Red Bull and Ferrari that Vettel's Super Softs would not have overcome.

Formula 1 is both an indavidual and team competition, and there are times when that comes into conflict and yesterday was one of those times. By ordering Hamilton to speed up they were knowingly influencing a title fight being exclusively fought out between it's 2 drivers. You can say Hamilton was being selfish, but most drivers are selfish to an extent anyway, and I honestly don't think you can pick a driver from the current grid or history of the sport that can be described as a great or even just as a good driver that wouldn't have done the exact same. No one throws away a title chance to please their team after all, thats a good way of guaranteeing you'll never win a title.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2016 at 12:31
Just to make JJ extra happy:

Nico! Nico! Nico! Clap
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2016 at 13:47
Niiiiiccccoooooooooooooo! That's great stuff. Was hoping to see it happen but was quite nervous. A well deserved champion!
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2016 at 13:48

wow. That's the 'era' that I started to watch F1 in so it will certainly feel quite strange.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2016 at 19:18
Same here.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2016 at 12:45
I don't really see anything wrong with what Hamilton did.  He's trying to win the title as well, and that really was his only option.  Tactical, but not really dirty.  Dirty would've been trying to crash Nico out.

Also, sad to see Jensen go, but at least I won't have to worry about where he finishes now.  I'd love to see him come stateside and run in Indycar or something, but I doubt it would happen.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2016 at 05:06
Well apparently he's working on doing a Global Rallycross round in the states next year, so thats something.

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2016 at 05:09

Nico! Nico! Nico! Clap

Haven't been this happy since the glorious span of 05-07 when Alonso and Kimi won all the titles. Smile

Yes, very sad about Button. As mentioned before, he was a backmarker when I got into F1 so was something to see him get a win, then a title, I didn't really think much of him honestly but he grew on me alot. End of an era for sure. Wish him all the best!

sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2016 at 07:43
Next years calander, Azebaijan has thankfully been moved a week so it doesn't clash with Le Mans again. No Germany.

March 26 Australia, Melbourne
April 9 China, Shanghai
April 16 Bahrain, Sakhir
April 30 Russia, Sochi
May 14 Spain, Barcelona
May 28 Monaco, Monte Carlo
June 11 Canada, Montreal
June 25 Azerbaijan, Baku
July 9 Austria, Red Bull ring
July 16 UK, Silverstone
July 30 Hungary, Hungaroring
August 27 Belgium, Spa
September 3 Italy, Monza
September 17 Singapore, Marina Bay
October 1 Malaysia, Sepang
October 8 Japan, Suzuka
October 22 USA, Austin
October 29 Mexico, Mexico City
November 12 Brazil, Interlagos *
November 26 Abu Dhabi, Yas Marina

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2016 at 08:17
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Nico! Nico! Nico! Clap

Haven't been this happy since the glorious span of 05-07 when Alonso and Kimi won all the titles. Smile

Yes, very sad about Button. As mentioned before, he was a backmarker when I got into F1 so was something to see him get a win, then a title, I didn't really think much of him honestly but he grew on me alot. End of an era for sure. Wish him all the best!

Glad that you're happy again happy JJ. I think that Button's time is over in our modern age of the teenage driver. I will miss him. His win in the rain in Canada was brilliant and is a great memory. 
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2016 at 21:45

Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Nico! Nico! Nico! Clap

Glad that you're happy again happy JJ. I think that Button's time is over in our modern age of the teenage driver. I will miss him. His win in the rain in Canada was brilliant and is a great memory. 

My favorite JB moment, even more than the title year.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819>