Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
    Posted: February 03 2016 at 03:31
So I've been listening to this album for quite some time, and I obviously enjoy it very much. It's arguably my favorite Gabriel-era Genesis, with what I'd consider some of their best musical content as a group.

However, as legendary of a record as TLLDOB is - I can't help but feel that after track 16 (The Lamia) it drags on a bit. The first 2/3 of the album are like a living breathing movie/story. Those last seven tracks however feel a little tacked on relative to the first chunk of the record.
  1. Does anybody feel the same way, or are my ears just picky?

2. What are your personal thoughts on this amazing Genesis record, and Gabriel's final note with the group before departing?

3. Does it stand up to Foxtrot and SEBTP, or are those still untouchable for you?
Discuss!

Edited by PrognosticMind - February 03 2016 at 03:32
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2016 at 05:17
I've never been a Genesis fan, but this is one of the few I can stand with. I don't think it has the flaws that you hear in the last part, but I'm not deep enough into Genesis. I find SEBTP incredibly boring in some tracks while part of it is surely very good, but I don't think I've ever been able to listen to it in its entirety in one shot.
Foxtrot is a litle better but not in my top 1000.
But I'm one of the less indicated person to discuss about Genesis. 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2016 at 05:35
I totally get it. I just listened to TLLDOB again this morning, and the later half felt more listenable. I don't know if it's just my mood, but the first 16 tracks definitely feel stronger. The other half feels more atmospheric and etherial for me.

I vacillate with SEBTP. On some days I love it, others I tolerate it.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2016 at 05:44
I always have a hard time with that album. It has too much vocals for my taste and very few instrumental parts (and they did better ones on previous albums). I find the second half more tolerable.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2016 at 05:51
^ I agree 100 %
I will always prefer Topographic Oceans over Lamb.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2016 at 06:28
1. I get the feeling you describe from the beginning of the second half. The whole album is very cinematic, but sides 1 and 2 show some action whereas side 3 and 4 are quite surreal. Nevertheless some of the best parts of the album are on the second half, such as Here Comes the Supernatural Anaesthesist, The Colony of Slippermen and Riding the Scree.

2. It sounds like a departure from the "classic" Genesis Sound of the three preceding Genesis albums: something between SEbtP and Peter Gabriel's solo debut to my ears.

3. No. It has risen a bit in my ranking lately and it took the 4th place in my Genesis list from Wind and Wuthering, but Foxtrot is my second all-time favourite and SEbtP my fourth.

Edited by someone_else - February 03 2016 at 06:40
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2016 at 07:03
Great perspectives in this thread.

I too prefer TFTGO to TLLDOB.

For me, it's Lamb > Foxtrot > SEBTP. Colony of Slippermen rules. It has a great rhythm, and an almost Black Sabbath-like feel during the chorus sections. Same with the quieter sections in Chamber of 32 Doors; it's not hard to imagine Ozzy doing that vocal take LOL.

Edited by PrognosticMind - February 03 2016 at 07:06
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2016 at 07:32
I like the album a lot however, it does drag a bit, like most double albums. I feel the same way about The Wall, for example, great album but a bit too long. But the great moments are among Genesis' best.

I still prefer Foxtrot and Selling England because they're amazing from beginning to end, especially SEBT, but Lamb isn't too far behind Foxtrot  (that one has Supper's Ready so I'll rank it higher). 

I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2016 at 10:43
The later third of the record is really starting to grow on me.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't think some of the Gabriel-era's best sections were on this album.

"No time for romantic escape when your fluffy heart is ready for rape..."

Edited by PrognosticMind - February 03 2016 at 10:44
hieronymous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2016 at 11:13
TLLDOB is one of my least favorites - I am probably in the minority here, but I just don't like the songs, and as someone else mentioned, too many vocals! I could go on, but instead I will say that Live is probably my favorite - that's the one I heard first, the sounds of the instruments and the energy of the performances top the originals for me. For studio albums, SEBTP, then Foxtrot.

OK, I'll go on a little bit about TLLDOB - the story is just too vague and ridiculous for me. I suppose it is very psychological and dreamlike, but I just find it annoying. And Peter Gabriel as half-Puerto Rican is a bit much.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2016 at 11:28
Your observations are acute. TLLDOB is a bit fragmented leading to a sense of listlessness towards its end. I myself kind of find it hard to throw on Side 4 on any given lazy Saturday afternoon - it doesn't sufficiently lend itself to a listen after what's transpired before (I know I have detractors in the 'Forum here on this point).

Foxtrot remains my favorite while still being sort of a probationary period for a new lineup while SEBTP is far and away considered the band's best by many which I rarely hear about TLLDOB.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2016 at 11:41
Originally posted by hieronymous hieronymous wrote:

TLLDOB is one of my least favorites - I am probably in the minority here, but I just don't like the songs, and as someone else mentioned, too many vocals! I could go on, but instead I will say that Live is probably my favorite - that's the one I heard first, the sounds of the instruments and the energy of the performances top the originals for me. For studio albums, SEBTP, then Foxtrot.

OK, I'll go on a little bit about TLLDOB - the story is just too vague and ridiculous for me. I suppose it is very psychological and dreamlike, but I just find it annoying. And Peter Gabriel as half-Puerto Rican is a bit much.

"Too many lyrics/vocals" was my first impression when I tried spinning it three or four years back. Also, the concept is a bit pretentious, and doesn't do the genre any favors by exemplifying most casual listener's "meh"-like attitude toward it. I can loosely follow the story, and some songs are definitely better than others. The parts that are good/catchy are amongst Genesis' best IMO.

On a whole, I'd rate this album a 9/10.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2016 at 12:11
It's my least favorite Gabriel era album.....somewhat overblown and too long like most double albums were.
But having said that there are nice tracks and instrumentation throughout.
Like Tales by Yes  it reaches high but doesn't quite make it imho.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2016 at 12:16
I feel both Tales and Lamb are great comparisons to one another, mostly in terms of both bands more or less being overridden by one or two people's ideas (lyrically, anyway).

Lamb is long-winded though, that's for sure. That's why I felt like right around track 16 it starts feeling like it's dragging. Some of their best musical passages in general for me, though.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2016 at 21:55
I'm not much of a fan of this album either. As a matter of fact, all Genesis albums have some tracks I can't really stand, but the previous albums had some moments of beauty that are just among my favourites on rock. The Lamb sort of lost this moments of beauty, and became too song and lyric oriented... and it doesn't help that I have never particularly liked Gabriel's singing... nor his concepts, and this album is not the exception. The only song that comes close to the high points from previous albums would be "In the Cage" for me, and it would still be my least favourite from such a selection of songs... "The Lamia" is also very good, but the new "Steve Hackett" version on Genesis Revisited 2, in which he extends the song with an extra guitar solo (plus, the vocals are less annoying).

Actually, this album is one of the reasons I have not checked out Gabriel's solo output yet, for hearing the direction he was taking, and imagining him going further this road, he would have nothing left of what I like of classic era Genesis, and he would keep what I don't like... and listening a few solo songs from his on Youtube seems to have confirmed my point. Except for his third album, I think I heard some things on it that I would like to come back to.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 02:18
The Lamb is my favorite album of all time. If I were forced to identify a weak side, I would pick side 2, and even that's not very weak. I think the final song, It, could have had more punch and more crunch in order to bring the album to a more dynamic climax. There are plenty of instrumental interludes on the Lamb, so I don't understand that criticism. Supernatural Anesthetist is my favorite instrumental part (I'm a Hackett fan). Most of the instrumental interludes are actually on side 4 too. I like Gabriel's voice. Comparisons have been made with yes, but Jon Anderson's voice is as annoying to me as Gabriel's to Dellinger. A lot of Yes music I like until a vocal intrudes. I'm surprised, though, the Lamb seemed more popular in my high school than it does on PA. How 'bout that?
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 03:21
I'm quite surprised to see such mixed opinions on Lamb here on PA. I thought for certain 90% of you would worship this record unquestioningly LOL.

Another listen this morning while I work in Photoshop, as this album truly is catchy. It grows on you big time, especially that latter third.

"You're in the colony of slippermen..."
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 03:34
It sounds very modern, even today. To me no other album of classic progressive music has ever sounded more modern than this one since.
the lighthouse keepe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 05:55
Always been up there with the band's very best.
Haven't played The Lamb for ages,will change that soon!
Definitely PG best,and when they wrote The Lamia,they wrote a classic song.
The last few tracks aren't as strong as those preceding it,however I do really like In The Rapids.it is a rather odd song I always thought to end the album!
"Hello sun.Hello bird.
Hello my lady.
Hello breakfast.May I buy you
again tomorrow?"
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 08:43
I think its an album that clearly marked the end of that band in that grouping. The last half of the album is mythological gibberish and both Peter Gabriel and Genesis were better off as separate entities at that point.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>