Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPortuguese-speaking Progressive Bands!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Portuguese-speaking Progressive Bands!
    Posted: February 03 2016 at 14:16
Hello everyone!!, could the experts in portuguese prog recommend me some bands that are forgotten or underated?? Smile

Thanks in Advance
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2016 at 14:49
The only prog band I know that sings in Portuguese is Bacamarte, but I doubt they'd be classified as forgotten or underrated Wink
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2016 at 14:53
Quartetto IIII and Jose Cid. Mellotron-fuelled beauty.
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2016 at 15:56
Falae irmão, blza? Rapaz, tem sempre os clássicos setentistas, mas se você não os conhece, vou fazer uma lista.

So, prog in Portuguese is quite rare, as bands usually go for the international market and outright sing in english in order to try and attain a larger following/sales (which is specially true in the prog metal scene). Anyway, here's a rather concise list of bands I can remember from the top of my head:

The classics: Os Mutantes and O Terço (absolutely seminal prog bands that defined BR's prog in general; Os Mutantes have an earlier tropicalista phase, which they tried to replicate after they reformed in the early 2000's, and O Terço has english albums in the 90's)

Apocalypse (earlier material, now they sing in English; never liked them, but they are one of the biggest prog bands from the 90's);
Atmosphera (great band; only released a single album under a very small progressive rock label from São Paulo and their album is currently unavailable; great music, an ethereal mix of Camel, Pink Floyd and O Terço; you can try and find them on mercadolivre, but get ready to pay a lot);
Bacamarte (Depois do Fim is one of THE VERY BEST prog albums of all time; it's currently 38th in PA top prog albums);
Banda do Sol (excellent band from São Paulo; mixes Yes, blues-rock and 70's psychedelia);
Barca do Sol (it's a must in multiple levels, it is a Brazilian as it gets; mixes samba, MPB and all kinds of folk musical styles; they actively went searching for folk musical styles in the hinterland and sertão; I can't recommend them enough);
Casa das Máquinas (their second album, Lar de Maravilhas, is an absolute must for BR prog rock; get ready to pay a lot in mercadolivre for it, though)
Haddad (very eclectic band from my very own city, Vitória; they started as a pop-rock/blues band but eventually became a decend prog band with their album Orion; some years ago I managed to speak with the band's leader, Gustavo, and they'll probably never release anything past Eros & Thanatos, which is a shame, it is their very best album);
Módulo 1000 (the very first progressive rock band from Brazil; I don't like them much, but they are an absolutely must if you wish to know BR prog)
Moto Perpétuo (classic band, but not as important as Mutantes or Terço; draws MPB from the time as a significant influence);
Octohpera (a Gentle Giant clone; good, but nothing special);
Poços e Nuvens / Gerson Welang (never liked them as well, but they are a respectable group from Minas);
Recordando o Vale das Maçãs ou RMV (their music is currently unavailable, unless you are ready to pay for some outrageous prices in marcadolivre; if you do, RMV 2, from the 90's is much superior to the original, since the original's style is more akin to rock rural than prog);
Saecula Saeculorum (the group that came before Sagrado Coração da Terra; IMO, superior to Sagrado in every way possible, even though their only release, the self-titled released by Marcus Viana in his own lable, doesn't sound very good; still, the music in it is an undeniable masterpiece, even if it doesn't sound very good);
Sagrado Coração da Terra (Marcus Viana headed this band through 20 years and now they are on a 10+ years hiatus; still, one of the biggest BR prog bands after the 70's; I would avoid their new-age and new-wave albums, though, start with Farol da Liberdade);
Spin XXI (a band from Niterói which allegedly goes all the way back to the early 70's; unusual style and energetic music, but nothing special);
Som Nosso de Cada Dia (their first album is an all-time classic and masterpiece of Br prog rock; too bad they decided to become a mediocre funk-rock / black music band);
Terreno Baldio (the only good Gentle Giant clone that I've ever knew; their debut is a classic and deserving of the masterpiece status, even though it sounds way too much as if it was recorded by an English band; their second album sounds more "Brazilian", but isn't as good);
Trem do Futuro (another band I don't find particularly special or even good; even though they are from Ceará, they have more in common with Jethro Tull than with BR prog, and I don't say that in a positive way);
Violeta de Outono (the biggest psychedelic prog band after Mutantes; they have been around since the mid 80's, but have only become a well-oiled music machine after the 2000's);

Other noteworthy bands: 14 bis and Secos e Molhados (even though they are not prog rock propper, they qualify as art-rock bands in general; 14 bis I and II and Secos e Molhados first and second albums are also quite special, when accounting for BR prog)

I hope this helped.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2016 at 16:03
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Indeed Clap Their first album was just reissued for the first time ever on vinyl. It's not as good as their last one and very different though, it reminds me of Traffic.

Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

Other noteworthy bands: 14 bis and Secos e Molhados (even though they are not prog rock propper, they qualify as art-rock bands in general; 14 bis I and II and Secos e Molhados first and second albums are also quite special, when accounting for BR prog)
Secos e Molhados were added to the site recently.

Edited by Meltdowner - February 03 2016 at 16:04
andreol263 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2016 at 16:12
Opa,um amigo brasileiro por aqui! haha

Well, i've discovered some albums from Brazil some time ago,like: 
Algaravia - s/t(A Gem!!)
Ave Sangria - s/t(A folk-psychodelic album)
Trem do Futuro - s/t(Which i've found very good!)
and the Obviously Bacamarte-Depois do Fim, the Masterpiece from Brazillian Progressive.
well i've listened to SO many bands from Brazil and SINCERELY, from 10 or 15, only these 4 are really good, the others are pretty normal to me, so now i want some albums from Portugal, which i think that can have a much better collection of forgotten classics :D
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2016 at 16:53
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Indeed Clap Their first album was just reissued for the first time ever on vinyl. It's not as good as their last one and very different though, it reminds me of Traffic.

Secos e Molhados were added to the site recently.

I know. That doesn't make them progressive. They are equivalent to Queen: excellent pop music that could be considered art-rock, but not progressive rock. Back in the day they didn't even classified themselves as rock, even. They were (and are) a MPB (música popular brasileira) group with rock influences.

What makes me even more impressed is that they are listed as "prog folk", LOL. Like, that doesn't even make any sense! LOL

Edited by CCVP - February 03 2016 at 16:55
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2016 at 16:54
Isn't Tantra another Portuguese band with a couple rated highly 70's prog albums?  Been meaning to check them out but haven't gotten there yet.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2016 at 16:55
Originally posted by andreol263 andreol263 wrote:

so now i want some albums from Portugal, which i think that can have a much better collection of forgotten classics :D
There aren't many great ones either:
José Cid - 10.000 Anos Depois Entre Vénus e Marte, Vida (Sons do Quotidiano) (Space/Symphonic Rock, it reminds of Eloy a bit)
Quarteto 1111 - Onde, Quando, Como, Porquê Cantamos Pessoas Vivas (Symphonic Prog and Folk with similarities with Italian Prog. My favourite Portuguese album.)
Banda do Casaco - Hoje Há Conquilhas, Amanhã Não Sabemos (The previous three albums are really good too, but this one is the best. Quirky Prog Folk, basically.)
Petrus Castrus - Mestre, Ascensão e Queda (The first one is Psych Folk with some Symphonic influences and it has poems from many authors, including one from Brazilian poet Manuel Bandeira. The second one is a truly Symphonic album, a concept album about society, power and its corruptive effects. Another favourite of mine).
Tantra - Mistérios e Maravilhas, Holocausto (I don't like them much but many people do. The first one is a mixture of Symphonic and Fusion and the second has some Space Rock influences. Their singer was a huge Peter Gabriel fan, so he was also into costumes and theatrical performances.)
Saga - Homo Sapiens (I only discovered it very recently, but it seems like a really good album)
Jorge Palma - Com Uma Viagem Na Palma da Mão (Probably not full Prog but it's a great Jazz Rock/Folk album with really good satirical lyrics)

From the 70's, I think that's it Tongue

CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2016 at 17:01

Opa,um amigo brasileiro por aqui! haha

Well, i've discovered some albums from Brazil some time ago,like: 
Algaravia - s/t(A Gem!!)
Ave Sangria - s/t(A folk-psychodelic album)
Trem do Futuro - s/t(Which i've found very good!)
and the Obviously Bacamarte-Depois do Fim, the Masterpiece from Brazillian Progressive.
well i've listened to SO many bands from Brazil and SINCERELY, from 10 or 15, only these 4 are really good, the others are pretty normal to me, so now i want some albums from Portugal, which i think that can have a much better collection of forgotten classics :D

Rapaz, tem muito BR por aqui. Pena que o Guigo não é mais ativo como ele era, gente finíssima e sempre disposto a falar de música IRL.

You actually liked Ave Sangria? God, I thought that album was dreadful, LOL. But to each its own, I guess. The bands I suggested have many good albums, and those are only the ones that SING in Portuguese. Many other bands, such as Som Imaginário are instrumental.

From the 70's, I think that's it Tongue

Has the Portuguese scene gotten any better, though? AFAIK, Portugal and Brasil share the same general aversion towards rock music: most people either don't care about it or thoroughly dislike it. With prog is doubly worse because of all the preconceptions brought by the punk scene.

Edited by CCVP - February 03 2016 at 17:04
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2016 at 17:32
Well, it's a shame that a country with a extreme mix of many different cultures and enormous don't have 10 good albums Cry, when Italy it's tiny compared to Brazil but exists a ENORMOUS quantity of good albums,even today are released new prog-albums in Italy that are simply superb and obscured masterpieces waiting to be discovered, well, at least we have BacamarteLOL
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2016 at 17:44
Hey, Caio, thanks for the 'gente finíssima'! Star

I add to the list of Brazilian bands/artists some others:
- Quaterna Réquiem
- Semente
- Som Imaginário
- Diapasão
- Marco Antônio Araújo
- Solis
- Index
- Agnus Graal

Generally I don't care too much for Brazilian bands singing in English but I'd like to make an exception for Arion. They're very good indeed.

BTW, Poços & Nuvens come from Rio Grande do Sul and talking about gaúchos, I think the most active tupiniquim member here presently is another chimarrão taker/drinker: GKR (Gustavo). I hope he comes here and adds his opinion too.

Wink

Edited by Atkingani - February 03 2016 at 17:48
Guigo

~~~~~~
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2016 at 17:54

Well, it's a shame that a country with a extreme mix of many different cultures and enormous don't have 10 good albums Cry, when Italy it's tiny compared to Brazil but exists a ENORMOUS quantity of good albums,even today are released new prog-albums in Italy that are simply superb and obscured masterpieces waiting to be discovered, well, at least we have BacamarteLOL

Well, I beg to differ. When I was re-discovering progressive rock existed past the big English bands, some 10-12 years ago, I was also dumbfounded by the Italian bands, but eventually I came to realize they aren't good at all. The whole RPI "genre" consists of symphonic bands with two basic traits: they are heavily influenced by the melodramatic Italian classical music (19th century Romantic and Baroque music, specially, and opera, specially Giuseppe Verdi) and are musically driven by a Hammond organ or similar instrument.

Of course, you have exceptions to one rule, but the exceptions to both rules are EXTREMELY rare (PFM, AREA, Cervello are among those I can recall at the spot), so the whole "genre" becomes extremely tiresome after you listened to the very few albums that are actually unique.

I've seen people say to my face that Italy's prog scene is basically what would happen if ELP and GG had sex at Millan's Scalla, which is both ridiculous and somewhat true at the same time. LOL

But let's focus on the thread's topic before this devolves into a flamewar.
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2016 at 17:56
Originally posted by Atkingani Atkingani wrote:

Hey, Caio, thanks for the 'gente finíssima'! Star

it's deserved, though. Too bad we couldn't get together any more.

BTW, Poços & Nuvens come from Rio Grande do Sul and talking about gaúchos, I think the most active tupiniquim member here presently is another chimarrão taker/drinker: GKR (Gustavo). I hope he comes here and adds his opinion too.

Wink

Whoops, my bad.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2016 at 18:00

Has the Portuguese scene gotten any better, though? AFAIK, Portugal and Brasil share the same general aversion towards rock music: most people either don't care about it or thoroughly dislike it. With prog is doubly worse because of all the preconceptions brought by the punk scene.
There are a some Prog Metal, Post Rock and Space Rock bands and a few interesting Prog Folk ones now, but I wouldn't call it a scene.

Spain doesn't have many great Prog albums, considering it's a much bigger country than Portugal. Most Prog albums here were recorded between the end of the dictatorship in '74 and the appearance of Punk, it might be related. Before, better known artists had to record their albums in France (including Petrus Castrus' Mestre) or England so I guess it wasn't easy to record music here.
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2016 at 18:36

There are a some Prog Metal, Post Rock and Space Rock bands and a few interesting Prog Folk ones now, but I wouldn't call it a scene.

Meh, the same as here, except without space and folk and with post metal

Spain doesn't have many great Prog albums, considering it's a much bigger country than Portugal. Most Prog albums here were recorded between the end of the dictatorship in '74 and the appearance of Punk, it might be related. Before, better known artists had to record their albums in France (including Petrus Castrus' Mestre) or England so I guess it wasn't easy to record music here.
[/QUOTE]

Did Franck and Salazar have policies regarding "intruding" cultural influences? That might also explain it.
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 05:23
These two topics I opened last year feature some great classic and modern prog from Portugal (instant obscurity), mostly sung in Portuguese:

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=102805 

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=102804

Bigger on the inside.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 09:24
Hi,

I never have, given Portugal and Brazil a clear listen in the so called "prog" area. I've heard enough things that some of them are interesting and some better than others, but in reality, most of them were copies of copies of copies, and while I can appreciate being "inspired" by a band or idea, in the end, that is kinda disappointing.

But, yes, there are a lot of nice things out there, and they are worth a listen. Now that there is a serious listing in this thread, I have some homework to do ... o meu deus ... eu nao fallo mais portugues ... nao tenho amigos para beber un poco the vinho!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 13:01
Well, i've listened to Quarteto 1111 album that some of you recommended me and Hoje há conquilhas,amanhã não sabemos, and both are PRETTY good albums,great gems of progressive rock, and for you that recommended me some others albums to listen, i'll listen to all of them, ;)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2016 at 20:09
MAA's(Marco Antonio Araujo)Influencias album is a complete masterpiece from my country(Brazil), finally i've found someone who is in the same level of Bacamarte album, i'm going forward all his works right now, and i recommend some of you too!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>