Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProgQuébec

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: ProgQuébec
    Posted: February 03 2016 at 18:45
I've just recently become aware of the rich vein of progressive rock coming out of Québec in the 1970's. Harmonium is the most well-known but there were dozens of bands during the peak years of seventies prog.

I've been using the site progquebec.com to check out bands.http://www.progquebec.com/artistlist.html

CDs can be tracked down at http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Departments/Featured-Labels/ProgQuebec.aspx

So far I've been able to find the albums at Amazon too, though.

ProgQuébec has been reissuing these old recordings in the very recent past and so far most of the albums sound surprisingly good.
I have albums by Harmonium, Et Cetera, Morse Code, Vos Voisins, and Pollen and Offenbach and Sloche are on order. I'm looking at a couple more bands as well.

Though said to be highly influenced by British prog, I often feel there are strong similarities to RPI.
Most of these bands remain obscure because of the French lyrics. It was difficult for them to break outside of French Canada.

A lot of excellent material. Highly recommended for expanding any seventies prog collection!
I used to be a fan of particular bands like Rush, Yes, and Deep Purple. Now I travel the Proglands, exploring a little bit of everything. I have become a Prog Voyager.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2016 at 20:12
Yeah, they are doing a great job. A bit pricey but worth every penny as far as I am concerned.

Don't forget to check out Maneige and Excubus.
FragileKings View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2016 at 21:27
Excubus is next. Maneige I find is a bit outside of my taste.

Thanks for the comment, Barbu.
I used to be a fan of particular bands like Rush, Yes, and Deep Purple. Now I travel the Proglands, exploring a little bit of everything. I have become a Prog Voyager.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2016 at 23:35
My favourite is Dionne - Brégent.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2016 at 23:50
If you like the prog folk, then try Garolou.  They were Quebec's answer to Steeleye Span or Horslips
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2016 at 23:52
It wasn't just the local artists that became bigger in Quebec than anywhere else.  Artists like GENESIS, SUPERTRAMP, and CHRIS DE BERG broke early in Quebec, years before anywhere else, and others like STRAWBS were more popular in Quebec than anywhere else.  They even had cults for obscure artists like SHAWN PHILIPS, a Texan largely shunned in his homeland
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 00:55
L'Orchestre Sympathique and Conventum are both excellent, among those not mentioned so far.
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 05:11
Love the Quebéc scene and the work ProgQuebec has been doing reissuing some. Hope they do June Wallack soon. 

Edited by Kotro - February 04 2016 at 05:12
Bigger on the inside.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 05:53
Noted, Logan. I'll try to find them on YouTube and give them a listen. Thanks!

Edited by FragileKings - February 04 2016 at 05:54
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 05:55
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

If you like the prog folk, then try Garolou.  They were Quebec's answer to Steeleye Span or Horslips

I will certainly give them a listen. A lot of bands are on the heavy guitar Hammond organ side so something gentler would give balance.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 05:58
Keneth, that's how I started to find out about the Prog Québec scene. I found an article about how big prog was in that province. Some bands were mentioned and I looked further and found this whole treasure trove of prog.

Edited by FragileKings - February 04 2016 at 05:58
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 06:01
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

L'Orchestre Sympathique and Conventum are both excellent, among those not mentioned so far.

I was looking for Conventum on YouTube. And Contraction too. I'll look into L'Orchestre Sympathique. Thanks for the suggestions.

I spent the first four years of my life ('71 to '75) in Montreal so I'm interested in what was happening in the local music scene at the time.

Edited by FragileKings - February 04 2016 at 06:02
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 06:04
Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

Love the Quebéc scene and the work ProgQuebec has been doing reissuing some. Hope they do June Wallack soon. 

I've read so many RPI reviews on PA. I'm glad to see there's an interest in French Canadian prog too. Yes, I'm glad to discover ProgQuebec is a recent phenomenon so new releases are still coming.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 07:24
I have had "J'un Oeil" by Sloche on original vinyl since the seventies but I wasn't aware of "Stadacone" until I found it on CD last year. 
I recommend both.  Thumbs Up
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 07:54
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

I have had "J'un Oeil" by Sloche on original vinyl since the seventies but I wasn't aware of "Stadacone" until I found it on CD last year. I recommend both.  Thumbs Up

I love those albums, so much exuberance, invention and sheer sense of fun about them. You can just tell they were having a blast. I wish they had done more.

Edited by Mascodagama - February 04 2016 at 07:56
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 08:18

<span style="line-height: 14.56px;">I have had "J'un Oeil" by Sloche on original vinyl since the seventies but I wasn't aware of "Stadacone" until I found it on CD last year. </span><div style="line-height: 14.56px;">I recommend both.  Thumbs Up

I have J'un Oiel on order and will be listening to it in a week or so. If I like it, I may just track down the other album.
Thanks for the input!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 14:24
Originally posted by FragileKings FragileKings wrote:

Keneth, that's how I started to find out about the Prog Québec scene. I found an article about how big prog was in that province. Some bands were mentioned and I looked further and found this whole treasure trove of prog.

Cool.  If you have a link to that article please share it!
There was a brief period back in the day when I clipped articles from the Montreal papers.  One was called "Quebec:  Vive le British cosmic rock" that offered theories why this style was so popular there.  I won't be back home till March but I will try to scan it and post it.

Sadly, the stations that used to promote prog became more mainstream near the end of the 70s and abandoned a lot of their bands, while similar stations in Ottawa and Toronto continued to give prog its due throughout the darkest days.  Thanks to prog quebec, it's good to see the scene in the province revived
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 14:36
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

I have had "J'un Oeil" by Sloche on original vinyl since the seventies but I wasn't aware of "Stadacone" until I found it on CD last year. I recommend both.  Thumbs Up

I love those albums, so much exuberance, invention and sheer sense of fun about them. You can just tell they were having a blast. I wish they had done more.

It would have been great if they had put out one or two more albums.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 14:38
Originally posted by FragileKings FragileKings wrote:

<span style="line-height: 14.56px;">I have had "J'un Oeil" by Sloche on original vinyl since the seventies but I wasn't aware of "Stadacone" until I found it on CD last year. </span><div style="line-height: 14.56px;">I recommend both.  Thumbs Up

I have J'un Oiel on order and will be listening to it in a week or so. If I like it, I may just track down the other album.
Thanks for the input!

Enjoy listening to it when it arrives. If you decide to try Stadacone I'm sure it's still available on CD.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 15:56
Keneth, it was an article on the Net.
Here it is plus one more I found.

Alan Rhodes

canada.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>