Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProgQuébec

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 09:00
I have missed a lot and focused only on the letter H: Harmonium, Hamadryad and Huis, of which only the first one has lyrics in French.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 09:40
Originally posted by FragileKings FragileKings wrote:

I take back what I said about Maneige. I just ordered "Ni Vent Ni Nouvelle".

and Libre-Service is even better!
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 10:25
Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

Maneige's song Les Porches de Notre Dame is maybe the most beautiful thing ever put on record.
It's indeed beautiful. Harmonium's Histoires Sans Paroles is another beautiful song.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 12:07
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Maneige's song Les Porches de Notre Dame is maybe the most beautiful thing ever put on record.

yes, the album "Les Porches" is a must

It's really good, but to my ears the first album is even better. It's generally a little more classical and avant-biased whereas Porches has more rock, so a matter of taste really. Le Rafiot, the epic on that one, is something totally unique though - and worth hearing for everyone. 

I'd recommend all the first three Maneige albums without reservation and Libre Service with some reservations. If you just can't stand that "eighties" approach to production you may have a problem with it. 

Edited by Mascodagama - February 05 2016 at 12:07
backtothegarden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 14:28
I know this thread is focused on 70s prog, but there's a currently active prog band from Quebec called Inner Odyssey that's well worth a listen:

rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 14:49
Originally posted by backtothegarden backtothegarden wrote:

I know this thread is focused on 70s prog, but there's a currently active prog band from Quebec called Inner Odyssey that's well worth a listen:

This is a good representation of the new wave of progressive bands from Québec. In the 70's we had more avant-garde, jazz, folk and symphonic, as today, we have more new bands playing Progressive Metal.

Edited by rdtprog - February 05 2016 at 14:49
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 14:51
Being off-topic, but at the 5 minute mark that "Retrospection" piece is really reminiscent to me of Aranis' "Mythra".

FragileKings View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 16:02
Sagichim, thank you for the links. Looks like the seventies were just the beginning. There's music to explore beyond the classic years.
I used to be a fan of particular bands like Rush, Yes, and Deep Purple. Now I travel the Proglands, exploring a little bit of everything. I have become a Prog Voyager.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 16:08
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

<b style="line-height: 18.2px;">Maneige<span style="line-height: 18.2px;">'s song </span><i style="line-height: 18.2px;">Les Porches de Notre Dame<span style="line-height: 18.2px;"> is maybe the most beautiful thing ever put on record.</span>

yes, the album "Les Porches" is a must

It's really good, but to my ears the first album is even better. It's generally a little more classical and avant-biased whereas Porches has more rock, so a matter of taste really. Le Rafiot, the epic on that one, is something totally unique though - and worth hearing for everyone. 

I'd recommend all the first three Maneige albums without reservation and Libre Service with some reservations. If you just can't stand that "eighties" approach to production you may have a problem with it. 

It looks like I'll really have to give Maneige a second chance. But now I have the one album ordered. I'll have to wait before getting the other two. In the meantime I'll check them out on YouTube.
I used to be a fan of particular bands like Rush, Yes, and Deep Purple. Now I travel the Proglands, exploring a little bit of everything. I have become a Prog Voyager.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 16:46
Originally posted by backtothegarden backtothegarden wrote:

Thanks for the video, backtothegarden. I like the studio work look. They're quite young and play really well.
The only Québec band I knew before was Voivod, though recently I've been checking out Gorguts.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123