Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBad drumming

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2016 at 17:10
I don't really have a nominee for worst drummer but it's somewhat relevant to mention that my father (a drummer) thought Keith Moon was terrible. This was something that came up when I was a child so I didn't really question it though I disagreed. As I got older, I finally asked him what he hated about Keith Moon's drumming and he responded "Oh, he's just banging around on stuff - there's no skill or technique. He's just smashing stuff like a caveman." I still disagree but I actually got a kick out of his perspective. 
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2016 at 01:16
Originally posted by CharonKnight CharonKnight wrote:

I don't really have a nominee for worst drummer but it's somewhat relevant to mention that my father (a drummer) thought Keith Moon was terrible. This was something that came up when I was a child so I didn't really question it though I disagreed. As I got older, I finally asked him what he hated about Keith Moon's drumming and he responded "Oh, he's just banging around on stuff - there's no skill or technique. He's just smashing stuff like a caveman." I still disagree but I actually got a kick out of his perspective. 

Moon could be quite a 'scrappy' drummer. He was more about entertainment than technique, but generally I don't mind that. I still rate thim bcause it worked well within The Who.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2016 at 06:16
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by PrognosticMind PrognosticMind wrote:

MOST Metallica Wink.

Heck ... most metal ... why are they using a drummer when they can do that with a metronome from any DAW? Waste of a person and their talent!

Wait, are you actually being serious with that comment??? 
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2016 at 06:21
As for the original post, I'm gonna have to go with whoever did the drumwork for Waking the Cadaver's first album (odd reference to bring here, I know Tongue). I suppose it's appropriate that one of the worst metal albums of all time has incredibly sloppy and off-time drumming (not in an endearing way either). I know raw performances are sort of the norm for deathgrind and grindcore bands, but this guy sounds like he just didn't give a crap how the finished product would sound.
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2016 at 06:45
Lars Ulrich is a great drummer (just see how he plays throughout the '80's) but obviously behaves like a spoilt brat who is content to rest on his laurels and therefore just plays his parts like a 'day-job' - he was, at the time, revolutionary, but by today's standards, relatively sedate and has a 'business-as-usual' in his attitude. I have to admit that it's Lars' drumming that makes Death Magnetic such a joy for me.........
I know he can be sloppy live, but he will always be a pioneer of that intricate Thrash-Metal drumming/double-kick thing that hundreds have since followed suit............
...............it's always easy to 'pick on the Master' ..............so to speak..........
Just listen to The Judas Kiss or All Nightmare Long and there's no denying that Lars is a superb drummer ........... I don't care what anyone says.............I truly can see where he's coming from.........
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2016 at 07:01
A few instances spring to mind:

Clive Brooks famously insisted that his drums should be high in the mix when Egg reconvened to record The Civil Surface, and he could not be persuaded otherwise...

Genesis were also right to kick out John Mayhew (and probably the amateurs that came before him...)

For some reason, I wasn't fond of Laurie Allen's drumming on Gong's Flying Teapot - sounded too stilted.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2016 at 07:19
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Moon could be quite a 'scrappy' drummer. He was more about entertainment than technique, but generally I don't mind that. I still rate thim bcause it worked well within The Who.

I always like Townshend's description of The Who's recording technique, about how they would record the guitar and the bass, then Daltrey would record his vocal and then "Keith would come in and record a drum solo over the top".
This pretty much sums him up for me. Technically all over the place but somehow it works.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2016 at 07:22
Yes, Clive on Civil Surface could NOT be persuaded that his drums were loud enough.......
Thankfully we get a totally magical Dave Stewart Fuzz-Hammond work-out in Wring That Ground..................various tones, various modes.....................
........and Clive's drums are *overly* loud, but incredibly mathematically worked-out and flawlessly performed...........
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2016 at 10:25
I think Carl Palmer's work on Asia's studio albums is basically phoned in. There's nothing to suggest it.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2016 at 11:16
After many, many years of Phil Collins behind the kit for Genesis, Calling All Stations was a disappoint in the drum department. The drumming was competent, but it tended to be mostly "machine-like." Banks and Rutherford really wasted an opportunity when they had D'Virgilio on a couple of songs.

Anyway, the album had other problems besides the drumming...

Edited by progaardvark - February 11 2016 at 11:17
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2016 at 11:20
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Not necessarily bad drumming, but once Barrie Barlow left Tull, the creativity of percussions left with him. Without either Barlow or Clive Bunker, you could pile all the rest of Tull's drummers in a leaky boat and let it sink.

LOL

Definitely agree with regard to one of the replacements - Gerry Conway... found his style completely at odds with Tull. Problem is, he then did the same when he replaced the sublime Dave Mattacks in Fairport Convention.

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2016 at 11:38
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

After many, many years of Phil Collins behind the kit for Genesis, Calling All Stations was a disappoint in the drum department. The drumming was competent, but it tended to be mostly "machine-like." Banks and Rutherford really wasted an opportunity when they had D'Virgilio on a couple of songs.

Who was the other guy on the rest of the album? Anyone of note? And who is D'Vigilio? Anyone of note? (I'm too lazy to look it up myself).
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2016 at 15:46
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Not necessarily bad drumming, but once Barrie Barlow left Tull, the creativity of percussions left with him. Without either Barlow or Clive Bunker, you could pile all the rest of Tull's drummers in a leaky boat and let it sink.

Gerry Conway is a very fine drummer and Paul Burgess was excellent with 10cc and Camel. They were only there for a short time, though.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2016 at 15:53
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Who was the other guy on the rest of the album? Anyone of note? And who is D'Virgilio? Anyone of note? (I'm too lazy to look it up myself).

Former drummer with Spock's Beard - a really fine player.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2016 at 17:01
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I always like Townshend's description of The Who's recording technique, about how they would record the guitar and the bass, then Daltrey would record his vocal and then "Keith would come in and record a drum solo over the top".
This pretty much sums him up for me. Technically all over the place but somehow it works.

LOLClap he sure as sh*t was unique wasn't he.  Often immitated but never duplicated for he had in spades what makes great musicans ...great. Not f**king technique.. but creativity and the ability to translate it to muisic.

and to quibble with Pete's obviously tongue in cheek comment... he wasn't playing solos over songs.. he often was carrying the melody of the songs not the rhythm as 99.9 of all drummers since the dawn of cavemen have done.  Happy Jack is the oft sited example, but far from singular of his style and approach to drumming.

just in case you read this Keith.. remember.. I have my 2nd night in heaven set aside for a mano e mano binge of booze and drugs with you.. see who wins. Smart oney is on you..since I'll likely still be recovering from the 1st night battle royale with Janis... but I plan on hanging tough and long with you. Thumbs Up
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2016 at 17:14

Anyway, my choice of poor drummer would be Simon King from Hawkwind. As much as I love the band, he plays like a complete amateur much of the time, coming in slightly late, fluffing up fills here and there. Generally sounds ill rehearsed to me. It may have been the desired effect I guess, and I also suspect he was off his tits most of the time. [/QUOTE]

LOL Like the rest of Hawkwind weren't off their tits.. They have always suffered a bit in the drummer department.. Terry Ollis on occasion couldn't either be bothered to drum at all or fell off his drum stool due to excessive downer usage(allegedly...) and my opinion is that whilst Levitation is a great lp, Ginger baker is not the drummer he thinks he is (by a long shot..)! Martin Griffin was tighter than most of the previous drummers but not terribly inventive.. but, heck, its hawkwind!! It never was about virtuosity!!! Some the best gigs and festivals ive been to in the last 40 years have featured one version or another of the mighty HWClap

The Drummer with Mona Lisa was pretty dull and basic for such an energetic, theatric band.. a bit like early Marillion...Wink

bbaabs View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2016 at 18:07
Tristan Fry may have an impressive pedigree - timpanist for London Philharmonic &  the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields - but that and perfect timing does not make for a good ROCK drummer.

He makes SKY sound so predictable. Always the same for some 16 years with the band. A total machine - a non-interesting drummer.

I never thought much of this band. Their compositions were for the most part  characterless, even puerile,  but its the drumming that's the final nail in the coffin.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2016 at 21:03
Poor Alan White has lost a lick or two with age, I don't think his drumming on the latest Yes releases "Fly From Here" and "Heaven and Earth" is up to his earlier efforts, which were stunning (especially TFTO and "Relayer").  

I hate to call it "bad" drumming however.  Prog seems to be characterized, above all, by excellent drumming.  

Bruford, Collins, Moerlin etc., the list is long! 
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2016 at 06:00
Regarding Simon King - it lead to his removal from Hawkwind.  A shame really - I loved his motorik drumming on 'Space Ritual' and the live set from Stonehenge in 77 on 'The Weird Tapes' shows he was still on good form.  Something happened by the end of the decade...
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2016 at 06:32
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Poor Alan White has lost a lick or two with age, I don't think his drumming on the latest Yes releases "Fly From Here" and "Heaven and Earth" is up to his earlier efforts, which were stunning (especially TFTO and "Relayer").  

I've noticed that, wonder if it's an age thing. There's hardly a drum fill on either of those albums.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>