Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBad drumming

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2016 at 08:51
The technology of the 80s seemed to suck the life out of top prog drummers such as White, Palmer etc.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2016 at 14:15
Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

The technology of the 80s seemed to suck the life out of top prog drummers such as White, Palmer etc.
.....and Danny Seraphine (Chicago).........
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2016 at 14:40
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

.....and Danny Seraphine (Chicago).........
...and Bruford...
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2016 at 14:45
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

After many, many years of Phil Collins behind the kit for Genesis, Calling All Stations was a disappoint in the drum department. The drumming was competent, but it tended to be mostly "machine-like." Banks and Rutherford really wasted an opportunity when they had D'Virgilio on a couple of songs.

Anyway, the album had other problems besides the drumming...
Who was the other guy on the rest of the album? Anyone of note? And who is D'Virgilio? Anyone of note? (I'm too lazy to look it up myself).

Former drummer with Spock's Beard - a really fine player.
You know, I do have a few 'Beard's CDs, and I should have been familiar with the guy. I'm shamed.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2016 at 16:41

After many, many years of Phil Collins behind the kit for Genesis, Calling All Stations was a disappoint in the drum department. The drumming was competent, but it tended to be mostly "machine-like." Banks and Rutherford really wasted an opportunity when they had D'Virgilio on a couple of songs.

Who was the other guy on the rest of the album? Anyone of note? And who is D'Virgilio? Anyone of note? (I'm too lazy to look it up myself).

You know, I do have a few 'Beard's CDs, and I should have been familiar with the guy. I'm shamed.
He's in Big Big Train now. And I think he sounded somewhat 'generic' as a drummer on Calling All Stations, but maybe that's what was required.....?
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2016 at 16:43

He's in Big Big Train now. And I think he sounded somewhat 'generic' as a drummer on Calling All Stations, but maybe that's what was required.....?
And I still think Lars is pretty good (when he wants to be), just he has a massive ego, and is filthy rich - why bother practicing ???
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2016 at 19:39
All drummers from Spinal Tap. So bad were they that they always ended up in bizarre gardening accidents. Now that's cosmic justice in action

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2016 at 19:42
^ Actually spontaneous combustion was the most common Tap drummer cause of death.   Currently and for the past ten years it's been freak housecleaning incidents.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2016 at 20:12
^ Awwww, you Spinal Tap nerd! You are so right :) I just find the bizarre gardening accidnents the funniest!Risk of injury during agricultural work
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2016 at 00:46
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

All drummers from Spinal Tap. So bad were they that they always ended up in bizarre gardening accidents. Now that's cosmic justice in action

Ha!  Yours truly in white, with Les Paul, in the art-project band "Casual Cro-bar."  We were a satire band of a satire band!  This photo was taken during "Heavy Duty." 

Our drummer exploded onstage at our first and only concert, hence the blood stains on my lab coat.  Poor Gary....RIP.

bucka001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2016 at 12:32

Genesis were also right to kick out John Mayhew (and probably the amateurs that came before him...)

I agree about Mayhew, they needed a better drummer, but I don't think the other two got kicked out. In fact, I remember reading a quote from Ant Phillips where he stated that one (maybe Chris Stewart) was a fine drummer. Also, I think John Silver would have stayed on but he opted out of the band to further his studies (or something, it's been a long time since I read up on Genesis history). They certainly liked John Silver, he was a guest at Tony Banks' wedding a few years later in '71/'72 and posed for a pic w/the current members of Genesis (Nursery Cryme period) and Ant Phillips. John Mayhew wasn't invited, I'm guessing it would have been awkward ("Hey, you know how we fired you from the band not too long ago and broke your heart? Well... you wanna come to my wedding?")
jc
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2016 at 16:06

^ Awwww, you Spinal Tap nerd! You are so right :) I just find the bizarre gardening accidnents the funniest!Risk of injury during agricultural work

One day, a very famous guitarist decides to sharpen the gardeners chainsaw... I wonder if the insurance will cover that?? Luckily disaster was averted and the world tour went ahead as planned...Wink

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2016 at 21:10
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Ha!  Yours truly in white, with Les Paul, in the art-project band "Casual Cro-bar."  We were a satire band of a satire band!  This photo was taken during "Heavy Duty." 

Our drummer exploded onstage at our first and only concert, hence the blood stains on my lab coat.  Poor Gary....RIP.

LOL! So it really happens!

Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2016 at 04:10
Originally posted by bucka001 bucka001 wrote:

Genesis were also right to kick out John Mayhew (and probably the amateurs that came before him...)

I agree about Mayhew, they needed a better drummer, but I don't think the other two got kicked out. In fact, I remember reading a quote from Ant Phillips where he stated that one (maybe Chris Stewart) was a fine drummer. Also, I think John Silver would have stayed on but he opted out of the band to further his studies (or something, it's been a long time since I read up on Genesis history). They certainly liked John Silver, he was a guest at Tony Banks' wedding a few years later in '71/'72 and posed for a pic w/the current members of Genesis (Nursery Cryme period) and Ant Phillips. John Mayhew wasn't invited, I'm guessing it would have been awkward ("Hey, you know how we fired you from the band not too long ago and broke your heart? Well... you wanna come to my wedding?")

Indeed, they were school friends.  I think Jonathan King instigated Stewart's removal and clearly Silver had no interest in a career in music.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2016 at 04:50
Seems most are 'on the fence' when it comes to Lars Ulrich's drumming. Maybe he can be a bit lazy or slack, but man, he is surely a very good drummer................and as always, the 'King' shall be critiqued much harder than most others............He is (maybe 'was' I suppose) a MASSIVE inspiration for future 'thrash' drumming debutantes. I will not support his spoilt-brat ego, though I love his drumming........he does know what he's doing.........Death Magnetic blows me out more so than the early albums. Some of those songs are really complex whether you like it or not.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2016 at 05:59
Novalis - "Sommerabend". Horribly boring drumming.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2016 at 06:43
^ Hartwig Beireichel - not the most creative drummer......
Jake_Simons View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2016 at 19:24
Not that hes BAD I guess...but hes EXTREMELY overrated and tries to be flashy but ends up being trashy.
Rush, King Crimson, Megadeth.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2016 at 22:26
^ Who ??   
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2016 at 23:08
^ I'm guessing "Hartwig Beireichel" .
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>