Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBloodrock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bloodrock
    Posted: February 06 2016 at 20:39
Bloodrock is prog related and should be on progarchives. Bands like Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, and, Rainbow are on here. What gives. Anyway check 'em out if you get the chance. 
https://soundcloud.com/metallicsun
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2016 at 11:59
^Good call. They are a great prog related band. I have all of their recordings, my fave being "Bloodrock USA"  , which is criminally under-rated, and probably their proggiest.
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2016 at 13:07
Their last two Album with Warren Ham allready sounded al lot like Kansas would
sound later.

Edited by TheH - February 08 2016 at 13:07
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2016 at 15:35
Good to see some Bloodrock appreciation on PA!  I mainly had their first 3 albums and really have not heard any of the later albums.  I can see prog-related as a possibility.

As a youngling, I used to love the song Melvin Laid an Egg, man was that a heavy riff and that Hammond organ blasting in.  They had some spooky sounding type stuff as well.  Fantastic Piece of Architecture was a haunting melody, another favorite.  Of course their so called hit was oddly enough D.O.A., never could figure how that one managed to get FM airplay back then.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2016 at 17:57
DOA used to completely freak me out when I was a kid...possibly the scariest song ever Evil Smile
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2016 at 18:34
They were evaluated for Heavy Prog 5 and 3 years ago and rejected.  I can't say whether or not they were ever considered for prog related.  It would take a collaborator who was familiar with them to bring their case to the site administrators.
SquonkHunter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2016 at 21:01
I grew up in the Dallas-Fort Worth area and Bloodrock was a HUGE local band back then. For a few years, they packed any club they played. Then they just kinda disappeared. Surprised to see them mentioned here.
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."
bucka001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2016 at 12:14
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

Of course their so called hit was oddly enough D.O.A., never could figure how that one managed to get FM airplay back then.
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

DOA used to completely freak me out when I was a kid...possibly the scariest song ever Evil Smile

Man, that song scared the daylights out of me when I was little in the early 70s. My bother (nine years older than me) and his pals would sit around and play that tune and replay it to go over the lyrics. I was the little seven yr old fly-on-the-wall trying not to get chased away. Just hearing them talk about the song being about a fatal accident from the point of view of the dead people (and I'm not even sure if that's what it really was, haven't heard it in years) and then playing the song again, just sent shivers up my spine. At that age, you just buy everything on face value and there's something magical and frightening about music. It was sorta fun being scared like that; nowadays I would just probably laugh at a tune like that, "pfffft... whatever."
jc
FragileKings View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2016 at 23:28
I read that after their downer rock beginnings, there was a change in the line-up and the band went more prog for their last two albums. Sounds like they could be on here.
I used to be a fan of particular bands like Rush, Yes, and Deep Purple. Now I travel the Proglands, exploring a little bit of everything. I have become a Prog Voyager.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2016 at 14:00
I'm in Texas now and Bloodrock still get airplay!  I was at the hospital for a check up and - seeing my long hair and advanced years - the nurse asked if I was a musician or dug music.  When I answered positively, she asked if I liked Bloodrock - out of the blue!  She's from Sweetwater, Texas, which is prime Bloodrock territory....they still have occasional reunions in the area and still pack clubs on the very rare dates they play. 

I'm told that Bloodrock broke up 'cause they wanted to expand their sound beyond heavy boogie and into more progressive rock.  Apparently they're very good musicians stuck in a rather limited genre.  That said, I liked their first album, which means I like all of their albums!  That said, I hate DOA - too creepy.....and a little disgusting!
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
 Post Reply Post Reply