Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThis picture...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2016 at 15:16
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

If they were "bona-fide Prog heads", how the hell did they come up with such crap as Too Shy? Just f'ing awful!

Too Shy is an absolutely adorable song. Stop dissing it.
I'm having trouble with the fact that you used the adjective "adorable".

whagt  is wrong witgh 'adorable'? LOL

Terri is an adorable posgter and one of hte few new post-classic member additions here that brings sun to the dense and forebidding atmosphere here of Genesis and f**king Camel apperciation. I bet the adorable one herself could have kicked some serious ass in the wild west. Calling DT fans adorable as she took a lead pipe and bveat them over eh tghe head with it.

Just like a woman. And we guys would lap it up and come back begging for more.

I give up. f**k spellcheck.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2016 at 16:27
No more for you! Check, please.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2016 at 16:38

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

If they were "bona-fide Prog heads", how the hell did they come up with such crap as Too Shy? Just f'ing awful!

Too Shy is a ripper of a pop song - the extended 'Midnight Mix' is arranged in such a way where Beggs' bass is mixed really up-front and it's instrumental for the first half or so - it really highlights many techniques of his playing - slapping/popping, chords, mutes, trills, hammer-ons etc. And it's a very difficult line to play. Stu's Keyboards are lush and tasteful (sometimes goofy, but it was the 80's). He did go to Hawkwind and Budgie gigs in the 70's. Guitars are inventive (Steve uses an e-bow, for example) and I suppose Jez just keeps the beat on his electronic kit. Anyway, it's not the best song they've done - check out some instrumentals they've done : The Garden, Introduction, The Pump Rooms Of Bath (don't ask ....) - they matured after Limahl got booted out.
When Nick was around 15, he was introduced to Close To The Edge - he got obsessed with Squire and took up the bass. He loved Sabbath too. He thought of using a Ricky but the sound didn't suit the band. And why not style a band around the current popular trends - they did want to be successful. Perhaps if Nick wasn't the bassist, I would not bother with Kaja.........?
All this for a band that's worse than The Fixx and Los Flock of Seagulls. And does this mean that Nick Beggs is the new Steven Wilson?
All this, and more...........nah, just one of the few New-Wave bands I truly enjoy. They've got a lot of character.
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2016 at 18:59
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Terri is an adorable posgter and one of hte few new post-classic member additions here that brings sun to the dense and forebidding atmosphere here of Genesis and f**king Camel apperciation. I bet the adorable one herself could have kicked some serious ass in the wild west. Calling DT fans adorable as she took a lead pipe and bveat them over eh tghe head with it.

thanks, Micky. I couldn't have said it better myself.  Although I could most probably have typed it better.LOL
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2016 at 19:01

one of the few New-Wave bands I truly enjoy. They've got a lot of character.

There's a fine art to putting together a well-crafted pop song that pleases the ears without insulting the listener. I think they pulled it off superbly in Too Shy.  And they were young and pretty adorable at the time, so I'm sticking with my original adjective.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2016 at 19:41

thanks, Micky. I couldn't have said it better myself.  Although I could most probably have typed it better.LOL

Heart yeah.. I had a momentary rebellion against spellcheck. Rebel notion, typical bad Mctiming when trying to type with a f**ked up hand.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2016 at 20:25
It's alright Micky - I blame spellcheck when I'm drunk too
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2016 at 20:31

It's alright Micky - I blame spellcheck when I'm drunk too

pfff.. I suppose I type best when I'm drunk. I actually try to pay attention to what I am writing as to not come off as a complete... drunk LOL
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2016 at 20:37
^ so do l, but the shortcomings of spellcheck threaten to make me look like a dick.......
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2016 at 20:40

^ so do l, but the shortcomings of spellcheck threaten to make me look like a dick.......

hah... I manage to do that quite well to myself with or without spellcheck

Funny..  I have heard many comments from those I've met in real life who expect 'Micky' and get Michael and are surprised that I am just a big teddy bear and sweatheart and soft spoken.. not the loud mouth prick I tend to be here. LOL
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2016 at 20:46
I suppose I'm equally messed up IRL as I am on these threads. Only Aussie Byrd Brother (Michael - ha!) knows me in person, and although we are good mates, he probably thinks I have issues
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2016 at 20:49

I suppose I'm equally messed up IRL as I am on these threads. Only Aussie Byrd Brother (Michael - ha!) knows me in person, and although we are good mates, he probably thinks I have issues

pfff..  if you don't have issues you haven't lived... really lived

the harder you live.. the more issues one has LOLThumbs Up
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2016 at 20:55
^ I'll drink to that
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2016 at 21:04
so will I Beer  it is our 'issues' and eccentricities that make us what we are... 
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2016 at 21:19
^ makes for some personality clashes with various folk. Keeps things interesting
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2016 at 21:22

^ makes for some personality clashes with various folk. Keeps things interesting

yeah.. that is what is missing here on this site. All the personality clashes, and there were more than a few here LOLEmbarrassed   and brush fire wars between haters and fans of groups. Evil Smile

The lack thereof makes for a more peaceful site... but also one much less interesting as Greg noted earlier.
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2016 at 21:54

yeah.. that is what is missing here on this site. All the personality clashes, and there were more than a few here LOLEmbarrassed   and brush fire wars between haters and fans of groups. Evil Smile

The lack thereof makes for a more peaceful site... but also one much less interesting as Greg noted earlier.

speak for yourself - I'm having a good time. There's just enough hostility mixed in with the music and fun (particularly when I bring up gender issues) to keep things interesting without too much angst. 

I don't go to this site for angst, I can get that from political websites.
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2016 at 04:56

speak for yourself - I'm having a good time. There's just enough hostility mixed in with the music and fun (particularly when I bring up gender issues) to keep things interesting without too much angst. 

Thank you, emigre, for taking up the torch of emancipation! Clap   
 (I agree to all you said so far from Kajagoogoo to Matthews old avatar pic before he changed it.)
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2016 at 07:26
Originally posted by Formentera Lady Formentera Lady wrote:

Thank you, emigre, for taking up the torch of emancipation! Clap   
 (I agree to all you said so far from Kajagoogoo to Matthews old avatar pic before he changed it.)

Kind of surprising that I need to - I thought we'd won this battle a long time ago.  Kind of like taking up the torch in favor of the printing press or antibiotics....

but you're welcome.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123