Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Is ProgArchives still an AnCap forum, primarily?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs ProgArchives still an AnCap forum, primarily?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2016 at 04:25
Bees don't sting me unless I play Celine Dion. Nice little rule of thumb I'll gladly share with you fine folks.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2016 at 04:37
Ayn Rand was portrayed exceptionally well in Matt Ruff's novel "Sewer, Gas and Electric", which I highly recommend

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Prog Snob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2016 at 11:03
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I am very fond of bees.

But would they return your affections?   That's really the question.

they would in their bee-ish way, which is quite stingy

How long are we going to drone on with these puns?
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2016 at 23:48
Nah, sadly the once great libertarian thread is so dead not even Bernie Sanders could stimulate it back to life. 

I assume this is because the core 5-7 people all got busy with life/stopped bothering. 
I am of course one, but if it makes ya feel better I have been accepted into a Master's of Economics, and at a diverse program (rare for econ) so I can pursue a more progressive track. 

So I hope to continue the debate with our libertarian comrades in real life some day!

Also, I rarely pop on here anymore myself. How the hell are ya?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2016 at 23:07
Interesting, we have had lots of discussions on the libertarian thread and you have moved from being more of a Republican voter to a Sanders advocate, and now an economic progressive.  Wonder who else has remained capitalist in the face of the 'Trump effect'.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2016 at 19:29
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Interesting, we have had lots of discussions on the libertarian thread and you have moved from being more of a Republican voter to a Sanders advocate, and now an economic progressive.  Wonder who else has remained capitalist in the face of the 'Trump effect'.

Well, I was always a social democrat of the generally Scandinavian model as many from the Libertarian Thread can attestLOL 
Then I had a few year flirtation as a moderate libertarian (very moderate and I was never a Republican) but I abandoned that stuff around 2013 when I realized, long story short: most of it was wrong and detrimental. I learned more about economics and found out how much of it doesn't really sync up with reality. I then swung back to social democrat, though you're right economically I am more progressive/labor oriented than I ever was. 

Used to believe in market oriented growth, general welfare, stimulii packages, stuff like a rising tide lifts all boats, worrying how we cut the pie pieces shrinks the pie, all that good textbook stuff. 
Now I prefer long term jobs programs, labor driven growth, government investment in certain areas etc etc

But yeah, my shift predates Trump and Sanders. 

Edited by JJLehto - March 20 2016 at 22:08
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2016 at 20:56
Anyone who changed their economic views based on Trump's presidential run probably didn't have any views in the real sense of the word.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2016 at 22:06
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Anyone who changed their economic views based on Trump's presidential run probably didn't have any views in the real sense of the word.

Very true. 

Edited by JJLehto - March 20 2016 at 22:07
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2016 at 22:14
Trump's existence makes me dislike capitalists even more, does that count?
history nerd View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2016 at 22:31
Wow... The level of discussion on this forum is shockingly low. Those memes are all literally the worst.

For what it's worth I voted for Gary Johnson in the last election... But I'm not really an an-cap, I fall more on the Bleeding Heart Libertarian/Liberaltarian side of the party. I would, for example, be much more likely to vote Democratic than Republican as I care more about social issues and align more with the Chicago school than the Austrian School. (And even then I'm fairly willing to compromise compared to your typical Paulbot/Objectivist/Ancap.)
-hn
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2016 at 23:47
Originally posted by history nerd history nerd wrote:

Those memes are all literally the worst.

WHY DON'T YOU LIKE MY MEMES?
http://i.imgur.com/mq4bf4c.png
http://i.imgur.com/UuPEaCy.png
WHY
history nerd View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2016 at 00:09
Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

Originally posted by history nerd history nerd wrote:

Those memes are all literally the worst.

WHY DON'T YOU LIKE MY MEMES?

*snip*

WHY
I find them neither humorous nor informative. I'm well aware of the arguments they present, and even agree with a good few of them, but they fail to explain anything in a meaningful way and the humor is... Actully a post typed in all caps does not warrant this type of response....

UR MEMES R NOT DANK ENOUGH
-hn
Disparate Times View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2016 at 08:47
I think patent and copyright laws are good things.Smile
Songs are like tightly budgeted meals
Nobodies doing anything new or even real
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2016 at 09:22
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Very true. 

Anyone who changed any of his/her views based on Trump's presidential run probably didn't have any views in the real sense of the word 
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2016 at 10:59

Well, I was always a social democrat of the generally Scandinavian model as many from the Libertarian Thread can attestLOL 
Then I had a few year flirtation as a moderate libertarian (very moderate and I was never a Republican) but I abandoned that stuff around 2013 when I realized, long story short: most of it was wrong and detrimental. I learned more about economics and found out how much of it doesn't really sync up with reality. I then swung back to social democrat, though you're right economically I am more progressive/labor oriented than I ever was. 

Used to believe in market oriented growth, general welfare, stimulii packages, stuff like a rising tide lifts all boats, worrying how we cut the pie pieces shrinks the pie, all that good textbook stuff. 
Now I prefer long term jobs programs, labor driven growth, government investment in certain areas etc etc

I was just joking re Trump.  Sorry, hard to resist.  

Ah, I remember you once mentioned in the Lib thread that you'd consider voting for the Republicans as a better option than Democrats so I guess I mistakenly inferred that you were Republican at the time.  

Funny that everybody except policy makers thinks we need to focus on jobs!  Wonder what is it that they know that we don't or are they just stuck head firmly in the sand with the old economic apparatuses of fiscal expansion/monetary easing.  
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2016 at 12:00
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

I eat out Ayn Rand for breakfast.
I just threw up in my mouth a little.Dead
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2016 at 18:48
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I was just joking re Trump.  Sorry, hard to resist.  

Ah, I remember you once mentioned in the Lib thread that you'd consider voting for the Republicans as a better option than Democrats so I guess I mistakenly inferred that you were Republican at the time.  

Funny that everybody except policy makers thinks we need to focus on jobs!  Wonder what is it that they know that we don't or are they just stuck head firmly in the sand with the old economic apparatuses of fiscal expansion/monetary easing.  

Ah well that is always encouraged! 

Hmmmm perhaps, I dont know, much was said over the 700 pages and 3 threadsLOL during my libertarian-ish phase I voted third party, and I always thought the Repubs were the worst but who knows. I did flirt with the idea of Ron Paul for a while but I was never hardcore enough to go that far, and a bit too socially conservative for me, though he actually has left the Repub party recently. 

Yeah, the mainstream is, naturally, slow to adapt and I've found out econ is pretty dogmatic. Will try any unorthodox money policy, creating trillions, but the idea to spend $1 trillion over 10 years on jobs: madness!!LOL
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2016 at 19:05
Ironically, rogerthat, one thing that shifted my thinking was the realization labor utilization is far more sorely lacking than I ever knew. 
Many on the right, and left I later found out, would cite the "real unemployment" rate to show how poor things have been under Obama. I, being fair, decided to look at the data going farther back and saw the "real" rate was appallingly high under GW Bush, and still pretty high even under Clinton. So it hit me, there is a very real problem and it has little to do with Obama. Especially given the fact we've gone increasingly lesser gov/more pro market ideology. Even Obama's stimulus was more like putting a bandaid on a chainsaw wound. I started to feel we may need more active policy

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2016 at 19:19

Ironically, rogerthat, one thing that shifted my thinking was the realization labor utilization is far more sorely lacking than I ever knew. 
Many on the right, and left I later found out, would cite the "real unemployment" rate to show how poor things have been under Obama. I, being fair, decided to look at the data going farther back and saw the "real" rate was appallingly high under GW Bush, and still pretty high even under Clinton. So it hit me, there is a very real problem and it has little to do with Obama. Especially given the fact we've gone increasingly lesser gov/more pro market ideology. Even Obama's stimulus was more like putting a bandaid on a chainsaw wound. I started to feel we may need more active policy

That's the rub.  To create more jobs, either govt can cut taxes even more to make it more attractive for investment or get involved in business itself.  There are limits to the former given the independence of states in your country and the latter is anathema in the US.  
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2016 at 19:36
Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

Trump's existence makes me dislike capitalists even more, does that count?

Trump isn't more capitalist than any other candidate is.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>